PDA

View Full Version : Those guys at SWRPGNetwork sure do suck...

Armage Bedar
10 April 2002, 06:44 PM
Yeah!

Seriously, though... What are we doing wrong? What could we do better? Where are we just plain mucking things up? We're not perfect -- anyone who's encountered one of those stupid "Server busy" errors knows that. But I personally want to hear from you guys. So shout it out: <b>SWRPGNetwork sucks because...</b>

- We never have a server that works properly.
- We don't update enough.
- We don't update with anything useful, like that IMS stuff.
- What's up with the sub-sites? How come we don't see much from Conversions and Submissions?
- We want more D6 stuff!

Any more?

Talonne Hauk
10 April 2002, 07:07 PM
Man, you said it. They not only suck, they blow.:D
On the serious side, though, if I were a novice GM, and coming to this site for help, I would find most of my needs fulfilled, except for one thing; how to create the proper atmosphere. I put this down in regards to Moridins query about what d20 needs. WEG put a lot of effort into instilling the proper atmosphere with each and every one of its products, from the cheesy dialogue of the throwaway "scripts" tp encouraging GM's and players alike to think big, bigger, biggest on a galactic scale. WoTC doesn't do this, seemingly taking it for granted. I think this site could do a marvelous job in creating a how-to "primer" for novice GMs in the way to build and sustain atmosphere.

Reverend Strone
10 April 2002, 08:22 PM
Well, let me begin by saying you guys do a fantastic job.

I was seriously surprised when I stumbled upon this place a few months back, and now I visit several times a day.

What could make it better?

Well, yes, the Server is a problem, but I'm sure you guys are onto that, and winging users ain't gonna solve it.

More art? Again, that's being remedied already. I hope I can be a part of that solution.

One thing that might help improve the stats archives, be they homebrewed, conversions or movie-extrapolations, would be a comprehensive source-guide. For someone like myself, who doesn't play the videogames or read many SW novels, I often don't know what I'm looking at when scanning the stats archives.

It would be enormously helpful to know where to go to look for more info on a given entry- either in a book, comic or whatever, and know what context it was originally designed for. This is already done to some extent- ie, go look at such and such book for d6 stats if it's a conversion or whatever, but more than that, it would be useful to know what the first appearance of said subject was. It would also help users source images. I recall reading Ghost in the Holocron had done an illustration, only to discover that designs for that critter had already been published, but he wasn't to know.

That would be my two wupiupi's worth.

My last word, in all fairness, must re-iterate what I said at the top- that overall, this place rocks, and you guys have done and continue to do a great job. It wouldn't be right to finish on a winge.

Rigil Kent
10 April 2002, 09:28 PM
Well, I'm not going to be shouting that the 'Network sucks or anything, but as a fan of the site first and Submissions WM 2nd, I'd have to say one word: "Adventures."

Sure, this causes all sorts of problems for the webmasters and content people (Moridin is no doubt shaking his head in disbelief and/or disgust) but I have noticed a severe dearth of good SW adventures scattered around. This is going to be especially true if Gamer goes belly up.

I suppose I should step up to the plate and write one up but I have a tendency to create adventures formed entirely around my PCs.

As to the Submissions stuff, blame my evil computer. It hates me. :D

Armage Bedar
11 April 2002, 04:53 AM
Let me just say that the post is a kind of joke -- obviously I don't *really* think we suck, but it's a way to elicit suggestions to make the site better. I'm big on user feedback, and this is just an example.

Keep 'em coming, folks!

reliant
11 April 2002, 09:14 AM
Personally I don't think anything about the SWRPG network sucks (except maybe the servers). I really like the format and the way it all works. I started out here just before I started GMing d20 Star Wars and have found more information than I could shake a stick at that helped me out along the way. The nicest part is how fast someone usually responds to questions. I just post "what happened to boba fett" in the NJO era and POOF I have many different theories before I can even finish figuring out what I think happened...

Now as for what I would like to see more of... I guess I'd like to see more submissions... Also maybe more conversions of D6 stuff to D20. Not that I'm complaining about the amount of stuff that's out there, just if I had to nail down one thing to improve, that would be it.

Otherwise, GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

dgswensen
11 April 2002, 10:11 AM
Honestly, my only complaint is with the "server too busy" issue. The userbase is friendly and polite, the moderators are civil and responasible, the layout is nice, the topics are varied and often lively -- I love this place.

I was going to complain that "SWRPG Network sucks because I don't have 200 posts and NO custom user text!" but I just got it -- so, now I have nothing to complain about. :)

I do hope, if people can band together and contribute, that Holonet as a whole can do something about the server issue. That would be cool, IMHO.

Grimace
11 April 2002, 03:36 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

The main one, although I know you're working on it as fast as you can, is the server. Not that I have big issues with Netscape, but I'd much rather use my AOL like I was when I started visiting here.

I second the motion for something in the way of Adventures. I'm not sure of what the best way to impliment it is, but that's an area that would certainly be helpful to all sorts of visitors to this site.

A "new GMs" or similar place would certainly help out those that visit here. Sometimes people get on here and rattle off questions that we've all heard and answered a hundred times before. In turn, the new person get's only a few replies. Perhaps collecting various threads or making a file for new GMs would be a helpful thing.

A personal pet peeve of mine, and I doubt you can do anything to "fix" it is: Get more people to post! We've got over a thousand people on this board, and all in all we've probably only got a couple hundred people that post. Granted, you're always going to have lurkers, but it sure would be nice to have people offer comments and opinions on things...or asked questions, or proposed ideas....whatever! Like I said, I doubt you can do anything, but I can always hope. ;)

Another thing I'd suggest is some "simple" keys when posting. For one, those pesky spoilers that people keep posting. I know there's a code for spoilers where people can't see it unless they highlight, but unless most posters KNOW the code, I doubt they'd use it (in fact, I know they don't use it). So maybe creating a button for "spoilers", where it gives a pop-up box in which a person types the spoilers and when they post, the text is hidden and marked "spoilers" all simple like. The average joe doesn't need to know the code and it's quick and easy. Just like the "quote" key, so to speak.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'll be sure to mention them when I think of new ones. :p

Deacon Frost
11 April 2002, 05:27 PM
Put my vote down for the Adventures and New Gm sections. I remember how hard it was getting together with friends and being voted the Gm just because you bought the book. And then having to learn the rules to pass on to those losers that failed to remember how to read.
Yeah, don't worry, Deacon feels for you guys out there!

Sil7
15 April 2002, 05:02 PM
I can't think of a reason to lambast the site at all, especialy now that we've moved to the new server. I would, however, like to see the "New GMs" section. I am guilty of the "post questions everyone has heard before" error, and am still pretty much an incompetent when it comes to setting the mood of my games.(actually, I'm pretty incompetent all around!:) )

Everything is informative, the people are very helpful and polite, and there is a constant supply of fresh material.

About those Mods though..... what's up with them! Their never around when you need them. Yeah right! Thanks guys, for all the time and effort that you put into this site. Special thanks to Grimace, who recently helped me start playing down in the Roleplaying forum. I must have pushed him to the edge of insanity with questions.

Mods, you are appreciated!

Sil7

Rouge8
15 April 2002, 06:17 PM
I was going to complain that "SWRPG Network sucks because I don't have 200 posts and NO custom user text!" but I just got it -- so, now I have nothing to complain about. You need 200 posts!

darth maim
15 April 2002, 08:40 PM
yep. You sure do... so get posting!

dgswensen
15 April 2002, 10:25 PM
Uh... yeah, as I said in my original post, I got myself the custom text, about 13 posts ago. Thanks anyway :p

Fred Getce
16 April 2002, 01:48 AM
How about a alert or a way of telling people when they visit that something new has been added in the Fan Fcition section. I plan on unleashing a while bunch of fan fiction pretty soon.

Plus a section for new gms and old gms so they can talk about their campagins and get new ideas or have their stuff critique by other GMs.

I would also like to see a Adventures section too for GMs to post or get an adventure just incase they have nothing and their's a game in 24 hours.

Nova Spice
17 April 2002, 04:48 PM
Long have I stood behind the "Adventures" section idea. I remember when I visited the old SWRPG Database and Moridin had a short collection of adventures on that site. I find myself needing adventures and other ideas for my group. But I also would like to perhaps offer some of you Webmasters something. I save all my type-written adventures on my comp and I can e-mail them to you for review to be published. Granted, they will need editing since they revolve around my PCs. Just a thought in case anyone was interested. ;)
Otherwise, the site is Supreme above all others. A GM Section would be really helpful too though!

Rouge8
17 April 2002, 04:52 PM
Adventures: GIVE GIVE.

Mathis Kharr
18 April 2002, 02:28 AM
Personaly i think you guys are doing great keep up the good work. boo on those that think you suck.. boox3

Uron Teff
27 June 2006, 01:28 AM
Uh, I feel bad reviving such an old thread, but...

I wondered what had happened to the idea of an adventure section or various adventures on the SWRPGNetwork page? I know for sure that there are people out there (including me) who would like to see such a thing.

Moridin
27 June 2006, 07:27 AM
Actually, on the agenda for the maintenance to the site is expand out peoples' ability to post their own articles, adventures included.

*rubs paddles together* CLEAR! *defibrillate*

Uron Teff
27 June 2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Moridin
Actually, on the agenda for the maintenance to the site is expand out peoples' ability to post their own articles, adventures included.

*rubs paddles together* CLEAR! *defibrillate*

Thanks, Moridin.
Nova Spice said something about a "short collection of adventures on the old SWRPG Database". I just wondered about this first draw of yours. Are these adventures somewhere on the "new" SWRPG site? Or were they included in other books, Moridin?

gmjabreson
27 June 2006, 07:38 AM
everything rocks here, just some people don't know how to appreciate people's efforts in areas here. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more in the future.

cheshire
27 June 2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, things pretty well suck here. I mean, look at all I do for the gaming community, and this site doesn't seem to give anything back. I'm a paying member here, and I'm going to cancel my subscription and demand my money back.
[/sarcasm]

Okay, seriously, though. The adventures seem like a good idea, but it looks like the mods are pretty busy and all. So, here's an idea. What if a few of the members got together, brainstormed, and put together an adventure or two. They could stat it in D6 and d20. Then submit it to Moridin for approval. After it gets sent back and reworked, then it could be released as content on the site. How does that sound?

Grimace
27 June 2006, 11:18 AM
There's something better in the works, cheshire. As Moridin said, an upcoming update will allow people the ability to post their own stuff for others to see, rather than submitting it and then waiting for others to get around to posting it.

cheshire
27 June 2006, 01:53 PM
Ah. I suppose if I had actually read the post carefully, I would have known that. :rolleyes:

PneumaZ
27 June 2006, 02:00 PM
The adventure deal is a good suggestion. I dig it a lot and I can say I cant wait to see that section open up.

My only realy complaint can be sumed up in one word: TC-3 ('nuff said)

Warlon
27 June 2006, 05:53 PM
Unfortunately I ahave to agree. What is the use of 2040 posts if only 7 of them have any content? Why do we need to see 3 identical posts about something that nobody has questions about.

I looked yesterday and found the above situation. Not for the first time either.

Sithspawn
28 June 2006, 05:12 AM
I can't see that SWRPGNetworks is doing anything wrong. IMHO, and without trying to suck up, this is still the best Star Wars RPG Community site on the 'net. B)

One of the biggest problems is the community, or lack of. With WOTC holding onto the licence but not releasing any new material the number of Star Wars RPG players, despite sites like this, are dwindling. I used to visit here myself daily, now it's weekly :(

Then there is the RPG/Mini divide.
Personally I play both (yes, WOTC do anger me by not releasing RPG material). But I know some people who only play one or the other. And with WOTC offering Official advice this site cannot really compete on the miniature advice. And there are some good sites out there with miniature support, such as Base Contact.

If only you could get the RPG & Mini players to unite B)

Fred Getce
28 June 2006, 08:02 AM
Can't wait for the ability to post my fan stories as I write them instead of writing them and than having to submit them for approval and wait for sometime before they get checked, rechecked than being asked to fix a few things before they finally get put in the que to be posted with journal number X in about a month or two.

I'm not saying anything against the people who run this site and their hardwork making it a great place for Star Wars fans, but it will be nice to have immediate ablity to post stories for others to read.

PsychoInfiltrator
28 June 2006, 08:15 AM
My only realy complaint can be sumed up in one word: TC-3 ('nuff said)

Unfortunately I ahave to agree. What is the use of 2040 posts if only 7 of them have any content? Why do we need to see 3 identical posts about something that nobody has questions about.

I looked yesterday and found the above situation. Not for the first time either.

Look, you two. Moridin has repeatedly said that he's working on it, he didn't program TC-3: it's not his fault. He has also repeatedly said for Holonetters to stop complaining about it, because he finds it very annoying. He's said it in this forum and others. Stop being antagonistic, and don't piss him off. You complain about something in a thread where he has just finished saying that he's doing something that the community here will really love? Really, that's out of line.

He started and runs this whole thing: he owes us nothing, we owe him everything.

I'm not saying anything against the people who run this site and their hardwork making it a great place for Star Wars fans, but it will be nice to have immediate ablity to post stories for others to read.

Fanfic Forum. 'Nuff said.

With al that out of the way, I'm overjoyed to hear about this revamp to allow us to psot our material. I think that it could be avery good idea-Good material will be effectively stickied, and not-so-good material will be forgotten about. It's great. Three cheers for Moridin!!!

PneumaZ
28 June 2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by PsychoInfiltrator

Look, you two. Moridin has repeatedly said that he's working on it, he didn't program TC-3: it's not his fault. He has also repeatedly said for Holonetters to stop complaining about it, because he finds it very annoying. He's said it in this forum and others. Stop being antagonistic, and don't piss him off. You complain about something in a thread where he has just finished saying that he's doing something that the community here will really love? Really, that's out of line.

He started and runs this whole thing: he owes us nothing, we owe him everything.

Now hold a cotton picking minute. I didnt start this thread, and I even went out of my way to make the comment as tounge in cheek as possible. The question was asked and that was my ONLY complaint. No to mention this is the first time I personally have ever ran across the subject. I wasnt trying to antagonize nor piss anyone off. I was laughing at the situation and I think if it was a problem a moderator would tell me and I would gladly recant.

No one is trying to be negative, so please relax and dont jump dont down my throat for a comment that was simply an observation. Not a "when ya gonna" or "wtf". Thanks.

PsychoInfiltrator
28 June 2006, 08:34 AM
OK, OK, I overreacted a bit. It happens-I'm not infallible. Factis, though, that my rant, as that is definately what it was, was mroe directed at the following comment, and the various allusions to the Comments psoting problem that I've been seeing.

Sorry for blowing my top.

PneumaZ
28 June 2006, 08:38 AM
S'okay. I was just like: "who-say-what?"

No Worries.

cheshire
28 June 2006, 08:45 AM
I know that this is probably too difficult to be practical, but I think it would be interesting ot have a rating system for the fan-material we're going to be able to post. It would help sort out some of the good stuff from the not-so-good stuff.

PneumaZ
28 June 2006, 11:39 AM
i think that would be worthwhile. it definitely would help us avoid material that can be less than useful.

PsychoInfiltrator
28 June 2006, 11:50 AM
Aye, if it were possible, it would be nice. Especially if it was limited to Holonet members voting, so that someone could not mass-rate an article as either bad or good.

But even without a rating system, this wil be immensely useful for the Holonet community.

boccelounge
28 June 2006, 03:14 PM
Couldn't a simple rating be done by creating your own "submission" posts with a poll?

e.g. "Poll: STATS: Action XII Bulk Freighter"

Poll:
Did you find this write-up:
- Very useful
- Somewhat useful
- Not useful

The advantages, as I see them, are that we could do all this with existing forum functionality, voting would be restricted to HoloNet users, and you could see right at the top of a thread if the submission is highly-rated.

The disadvantages include not being able to search/sort submissions based on poll results, and trying to make sure everyone words their polls in a more or less consistent fashion. But at least it would be something. And easy. I dig easy.

Just 2cr.

And, since this seems as good a place as any to say this: thanks, Moridin, Grimace, et al., for keeping this site going. It's continued presence and vitality is greatly appreciated.

Rostek
28 June 2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge
Couldn't a simple rating be done by creating your own "submission" posts with a poll?

e.g. "Poll: STATS: Action XII Bulk Freighter"

Poll:
Did you find this write-up:
- Very useful
- Somewhat useful
- Not useful

Just 2cr.

That's an awesome idea, bocce. Elegant, yet wholly functional. Gold star for you ;)

And, since this seems as good a place as any to say this: thanks, Moridin, Grimace, et al., for keeping this site going. It's continued presence and vitality is greatly appreciated.

Megadittos to this as well (God help me for using that phrase :P).

Ronin
28 June 2006, 06:21 PM
I agree with Rostek; Bocce that's ingenious!

Same for rating fan-fic: put a poll at the start with a simple 1 to 10 scale so holonetters can rate your work.

Sithspawn
2 July 2006, 04:12 PM
Agree with the Rating idea :)

Although I don't think rating the work is way to go, rather rating it's usefulness as boccelounge suggested.

PsychoInfiltrator
4 July 2006, 10:21 AM
You know, if it's that simple, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing BOTH...

boccelounge
5 July 2006, 01:11 PM
The advantage of a 1-10 rating scale is that results can be averaged, giving a nice mean score.

The disadvantage is that this score is essentially meaningless. Something I find useful and rate as "6," you may also find useful, and rate as a "9."

Using a shorter and more specific list of options avoids this error; that's why I suggested using "Useful, Somewhat Useful," etc.

And, if we're to use existing HoloNet poll functionality, having a numerical score isn't all that useful, as we can't sort or search based on that.

But, as I said, the most useful system will be one that we can all agree on-- as long as everyone's creating their polls in roughly the same fashion, any system should suffice.

Rostek
5 July 2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge
The advantage of a 1-10 rating scale is that results can be averaged, giving a nice mean score.

The disadvantage is that this score is essentially meaningless. Something I find useful and rate as "6," you may also find useful, and rate as a "9."

Yeah... subjective rating systems without meaningful guidelines do kind of suck like that. Hence the ingeniousness of qualitative catagories-- while still entirely subjective to personal taste, after enough votes you can kind of still get an "averaged out" feel, and with the comments themselves, weigh the reasoning of others to determine the thing in question's use.

cheshire
6 July 2006, 04:42 AM
I'm not sure that there is anything but a subjective system for evaluation. Unless we set categories and standards of evaluation, then we're all just using our own opinions.

I would favor a poll with fewer options rather than more. Looking at a 1-10 scale, it's more difficult to just look at it, rather than making a tally and then averaging all of the results. Most users won't go to that trouble. I wouldn't recomend having any more than five rating levels.

gmjabreson
6 July 2006, 04:45 AM
could even go with a 3 point system. After someone reads the article/description of item, they could award up to a total of 3 points on down to 1. Obviously the higher the points, the better the article. Much like figuring out what team in a sport is best, by the number of points they have.

Moridin
6 July 2006, 05:45 AM
I am going to warn you guys, though, that the updates to the site may be a ways off. Don't get your hopes up for a quick turnaround.

As many of you probably know, the reason I've been so hand-off lately was because I was writing the Star Wars RPG Saga Edition book, so while I've not been working on the site, I have at least been working hard to keep the RPG alive.

Fred Getce
6 July 2006, 06:38 AM
I would like to just stress my concerns about a rating system. A long time ago SWRPGNetwork had a rating system in place for forum posts. It was abused quickly by people and had to be removed, since it initiated a few nuclear flame wars.

Personally I have found rating systems to be the volatile ingredient to flame wars, forum hostility and personal attacks among members. As nice as it is to show your appreciation to someone's hard work, it is also a way for other who are less morally minded to "1" star people to death or to try and "bring them down" amongst their peers.

Just a point to consider. I am all for some kind of rating system, but I would be concerned if it could lead to a dividing between members.

gmjabreson
6 July 2006, 08:19 AM
."
from Fred Getce
I would like to just stress my concerns about a rating system. A long time ago SWRPGNetwork had a rating system in place for forum posts. It was abused quickly by people and had to be removed, since it initiated a few nuclear flame wars

When I first started seeing the idea, I wondered if someone was going to voice this concern. I feared something like this too. People generally post points of view that don't always agree, and because of this, if there were a point system, it would reflect that.

boccelounge
7 July 2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Fred Getce
I would like to just stress my concerns about a rating system... I would be concerned if it could lead to a dividing between members.

Thanks for the tip. To be honest, I'm not all that concerned about having a rating system at all. I'd just like to see more useful submissions, in whatever form or method we come up with.

Designing and debating the ratings shouldn't hold up the actual submissions, IMO.

PsychoInfiltrator
7 July 2006, 05:30 PM
As many of you probably know, the reason I've been so hand-off lately was because I was writing the Star Wars RPG Saga Edition book, so while I've not been working on the site, I have at least been working hard to keep the RPG alive.

What do you mean 'at least'? What is this community but a group of people trying to keep the game alive? And the Saga book should do much more for that than we could. Don't beat yourself up for doing something considerably more important. (Not that I think that you're beating yourself up, but you get what I mean.)

When I first started seeing the idea, I wondered if someone was going to voice this concern. I feared something like this too. People generally post points of view that don't always agree, and because of this, if there were a point system, it would reflect that.

I was expecting something like that myself. Still, this is a (generally) mature community of (predominantly) reasonable people. I think we could survive. The mods might get a bit more on their plate, but hopefully they'd survive too. As long as people realize that the RPG is a game, stats are toys, and ratings of whatever number aren't the end of the world, we'll do fine. (I hope.)

Designing and debating the ratings shouldn't hold up the actual submissions, IMO.

No kidding. Any rating system could definately be put in place after the submissions system, and we certainly won't drop dead without it.

gmjabreson
7 July 2006, 05:33 PM
why would the suggestion of a rating system slow submissions down?

PsychoInfiltrator
7 July 2006, 05:39 PM
why would the suggestion of a rating system slow submissions down?

Because that would require someone to make it. That would take time.

gmjabreson
7 July 2006, 05:41 PM
yeah but while its still being made, why couldn't the submissions continue to come through? That's what I'm asking, couldn't the rating system be created and then added onto the existing submissions already here?

PsychoInfiltrator
7 July 2006, 06:06 PM
Not the post you're looking for.

coldskier0320
7 July 2006, 06:20 PM
Psych, what was the point of that post? gmj is just brainstorming, and if he's mistaken in his assumptions, and you can show him where he errs, by all means, do so. But if you're just going to make a garbage post with absolutely no input whatsoever on your part, just head over to C&M without cluttering up a productive thread with it. Or better yet, dont post at all. Just wait until you do have some quality input, and then post.

As for the rating system, I believe that we have the best of both worlds already in our own Comments forum. Here, people cn give a general thumbs up or down, but they have to do it in the form of a coherent (hopefully) intelligible post. This also gives the creator the opportunity to have two-way communication with his audience. If and whenthe friendly folks with access to the site's backdoor finally give TC-3 forty lashings with a wet noodle, we'll be good to go, from where I'm sitting...then again, I have cheap seats...:D

Fred Getce
12 July 2006, 06:29 AM
A simple thumbs up or thumbs down selection for your opinion on someone's work (like Egbert and Roper) would probably be the best approach. This way there is less chance of taking offense.

In the past we had a system of rating from 1 - 5 on what you thought of a persons post and people took offense when they got a 1 rated so they began to 1 rate that person's post whether they were interested in the thread the post appeared in or not.

Than the posts of "Why did you 1 star me?" or "Who 1 stared me?" began and than the short flame wars began. They were civil flame wars, but flame warfare is never pretty or polite.

But a simply thumbs up or thumbs down may be better than allowing a "rating" to be selected as some users cannot accept getting "1 rated" when they think their work is golden.

Because, lets all just face the demon, it all comes down to ego. Many people love seeing everyone praising their story writing or game design talent. Its human nature. However it is also human nature to take offense when some one criticizes our work.

However I am not against a rating system at all and would welcome it, I would like it to be a simple system of "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" without a glaring score of what you felt their work is worth.

Anyway not to ramble on or take this thread of course, continue with the original discussion.

Uron Teff
12 July 2006, 05:17 PM
I think Fread Getce hit the nail on the head. Even though a ranking system from 1 to 5 (or 10) has greater possibilities and more freedom of choice, the negative side effects carried over by this form do lessen the positive side effects. Although the simple pro and contra deceision might be more strenous due to the inner evaluation of a read thread/post, I think the fact that this form take the gasoline from possible lighters. Nice idea, you had there Fred.

coldskier0320
12 July 2006, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...kinda like Urban Dictionay with their thumbs...interesting. Maybe include a counter that would say like: 14 thumbs up, 5 thumbs down, or something like that.

boccelounge
13 July 2006, 08:31 AM
Not to belabor the point... but I still think the "thumbs" idea is still too abstract. I think we need something simple and easily-interpreted.

That is, the thumbs rating would be too limiting. For exemple, someone might come up with, say, a great TotJ spaceport. I might like the work done, but have no use for it in my game-- do I give it thumbs up or down? If I give it a thumbs down, it looks like I don't appreciate the work done. If I give it a thumbs up, it can be taken as encouragement to submit similar items... in either case, I "lose," as my preferred outcome is have submissions that I can use in my games.

And the thumbs system shares the same problem as the numerical ratings-- it's so abstract, there's no way of knowing if anyone other voter interprets it the same way I do. Did they 'thumbs down' because they're not interested in spaceports? Or because the think the stats are poorly done? Or because they don't like the TotJ era of play?

See what I mean?

It seems to me that a more specific, concise rating scale, like "Very Useful," "Somewhat Useful," "Not Useful" give us the best chance to have meaningful and consistent ratings. If nothing else, I think 3 choices (Positive, Neutral, Negative) is superior to two (Positive, Negative).

As I've said, I don't think this is a huge issue; it's just something I've dealt with before... thought I'd offer up the suggestions. :)

Ardent
13 July 2006, 08:40 AM
Honestly, a categorization of how easily they fit into the standard Star Wars framework is much easier to stomach. In effect, you have "Meshes well," "requires shoehorning," and "unusuable without major alterations."

This ostensibly says nothing about the quality of the work, simply its overall usefulness to the Holonetizen at large. It avoids the whole poking holes in someone's hard work issue, but leaves a brutally honest appraisal of the work viable.

Just my 2 creds.

As an aside, for what it's worth almost anything I had to contribute out of my personal work would -- without revision and editing -- would be "unusuable without major alterations." Shoehorning required at least. It wouldn't bother me, because that rating says nothing about the quality of my work...constructive comments would.

PsychoInfiltrator
13 July 2006, 06:18 PM
Honestly, a categorization of how easily they fit into the standard Star Wars framework is much easier to stomach. In effect, you have "Meshes well," "requires shoehorning," and "unusuable without major alterations."

This ostensibly says nothing about the quality of the work, simply its overall usefulness to the Holonetizen at large. It avoids the whole poking holes in someone's hard work issue, but leaves a brutally honest appraisal of the work viable.

Just my 2 creds.

As an aside, for what it's worth almost anything I had to contribute out of my personal work would -- without revision and editing -- would be "unusuable without major alterations." Shoehorning required at least. It wouldn't bother me, because that rating says nothing about the quality of my work...constructive comments would.

IMO, the man hath a point.

Even usefulness can be differently rated. Me, perosnally, I'm gonna like a TotJ spaceport if it's well done, even if I never game in that era. So under this system, I coudl rate it 'useful' based on a theoretical campign, or 'not useful' becuase it's TotJ. I like Ardent's idea, and the ocnstructive comments bit I think is especially important. Even now, reading a Submissionsor Conversions comments list can tell me important things about the article. Longer ones tend to be about useful things, and lots of nots on mistakes and errors are bad-becuase they're there-but also good, because somebody bothered to note them. That usually doesn't happen unless it is a good/useful entry. (Katthmann's generator, for example.)

coldskier0320
15 July 2006, 03:08 PM
Idunno...i think this is one of those 'you cant please everyone' situations. And, honestly, I think I like the way it is right now. Well, the way its supposed to work. Once Submissions gets doused in some WD-40, I believe the comments forum, debugged, of course, is the best compromise of everything we've discussed here, as far as pleaseing everyone, giving the creator feedback, and generally critiqeing (sp?) a submission is concerned. As far as fanfics, I think a simple discussion after said piece, in its thread in the FanFic forum fills that need adequately.

While I agree that some sort of rating system might be nice, I dont think we'll get one for the reasons we see developing here: everyone has a different idea of what a rating system 'should be'. :)

Vjerzag
15 July 2006, 04:48 PM
What forum rating brings you except feeding your ego?

I am here more than 4 years. So far this is still BEST site for SW RPG.

Point of this forum is exchange of inforamtion and ideas about SW.

tauchiss
16 July 2006, 06:00 PM
Well you did something right! double posting is gone!!!