PDA

View Full Version : Not to complain...

BRodgers
11 April 2002, 05:46 AM
Just wondering...

Am I alone in being concerned about Starwars-Rpg.Net's future? I mean, I used to hit it ALL the time, but lately it just seems like the site has ground to a standstill.

I mean, I understand the "real life has been hectic" argument , and I'm not saying that wouldn't hinder the updates and whatnot..but come on...there are some things that could be updated that shouldn't take that much time.

examples? Sure....

The Featured Site Section: When this idea was first rolled out..I was jazzed. "Great!" I thought, a place for deserving SWRPG sites to get a little noteriety! And dont get me wrong...the Link Archive,which has been on there for hte past few months IS great and deserving...but this feature hasn't been updated since January! At this pace we are looking at a maximum of, what? 3-4 sites getting exposure, per year, tops...doesnt seem very "community friendly" if you get my drift.

The Online Journals: People have been screaming for this to come back for a while. I dont blame them, it was a great resource. When the webmasters get around to working on the site I think this should take top priority. Heck even if it means just posting the old journals that would be something.

Now..on to the hosted sites.....

I realize these sites are independently run, which is cool...but I dont think we should let these webmasters off the hook either. Now, before EVERYONE takes offense let me say that I realize that there are a few sites that are updated on a fairly regular basis (every 1-2 months)...but some arent. Ah, and lets clarify one thing..to me an "update"means several items that I can check out and sink my teeth into. Just posting one new picture or character hardly (to me) qualifies as an update. But that can be dabated to be sure...

Anyway, I'm not gonna name names, because I think that would be bad form, but quite simply some of the hosted sites havent been updated in quite a while...and im not a big fan of 6-month stretches between updates. Now, do I expect them to roll out entirely new sections and material? Well, yes and no. Again, I understand real life and other committments can seriously reduce one's time...but...BUT! When you become a hosted site , to me, that takes along a degree of importance in regards to the SWRPG community...and I would think that, as such, the webmasters would want to make an extra effort to make sure they are updating their sites more frequently than your "run of the mill" SWRPG sites and with a more strict eye towards quality.

Again, I realize not ALL hosted sites fall into this category...but a large number do. I mean, if you havent updated your site in 8 months and you don't think that is gonna change, heck at least post that you are on hiatus or something....

Anyway, I hope no one gets offended, as that surely isnt my intent with this post. I'm just bringing to light my concerns regarding a site that I consider one of the prime influences inthe SWRPG community. Heck it was one of the sites that prompted me to actually strike out and desgin/develop my own site! (Im starting to feel like I'm trying to save the spotted owl)...anyway, I just want to see SWRPG restored to it's past glory, and I dont think I am alone in the community.

And if it is a matter of time, heck, appeal to the community for some help..I know there are always people surfing the holonet just itching to help out on other sites. Thats what being a community is all about...we arent in competition here...we ALL should be working towards the promotion of the SWRPG on the net.

Uh, I think thats it.

Sorry for the length. :D

Chris Curtis
11 April 2002, 06:29 AM
I'm going to say that I pretty much agree with everything you said. I think you more or less hit the nail on the head, BRodgers.

I, too, have become more and more concerned by the near complete lack of movement with regards to the main StarWars-RPG.Net site. Yes, real life interference is a legitimate argument, and heavens knows I sympathize. But as Bob said, surely something could get done if you enlisted some help from the community. At the very least, I'd love to get the old Online Journals back online, even if they're still in the old format/design.

As for the hosted sites... As a webmaster on 3 of those sites (wow... 3... something must be wrong with me...), all I can do is plead the fifth. Reviewed Sites was just updated last night (and I'll post an announcement momentarily) and Link Archive gets new sites added all the time.

I know I have been neglecting Servais Sector too much, but that's mostly because I've been working in the background with Grimace on an online D6 Starship Generator (to complement the system presented in SotG for d20). It's nearing completion and should be released fairly soon. You may or may not (doesn't matter) have been referring to any of these sites, but I thought I'd take a moment to respond regardless.

Anyway, I'm with you on this one: if the webmasters can't devote the time for the site right now (and that's a legitimate excuse), then please recruit some help in the meantime that can spare the time. Like Bob, I really hate to see a site like this sit and stagnate when it was previously such a leader in the community...

BRodgers
11 April 2002, 07:01 AM
I appreciate the response Chris , and just to be clear, Servais, Reviewed Sites and the Link Archive are the LAST sites that I would consider to need work. You guys do a top notch job of keeping them updated every few months with new reviews and material, not to mention the service you are providing for the community is invaluable.

The kicker is I REALLY like the hosted sites, but when you only have, say, four or five that produce anything on a regular basis it's kind of a let down. I'll say that you guys are setting a good example of what the other sites should shoot for..I mean, heck, even if a webmaster can only squeeze out a weekend's worth of work every two months you can still get a lot accomplished in that time.

ij thompson
11 April 2002, 08:36 AM
Guilty as charged!!!

I'm in tech rehearsals right now, which is murder. But when my show goes up, updates will follow, I swear!

I can't speak for anyone else, but you can trust that, in my case, I'm well aware of how long it's been since I updated, and it ain't a good feeling. If it's any consolation, my players haven't gotten a game in all that time, either!

But back to the subject at hand, yes, I wouldn't mind a little announcement letting us know just what's going down at starwars-rpg.net these days...

BRodgers
22 April 2002, 12:09 PM
Dag!

So, if this thread is any indication of the frequency that the SWRPG.NET guys view their own forums, we are looking at, what? At least 11 days since this thread was started and we havent heard a peep out of any of them?

Hmmm...methinks this doesn't bode well for StarWars-RPG.Net...I do hope I'm wrong though.:?

Chris Curtis
22 April 2002, 12:51 PM
I will say that I know for a fact that at least one of them (and honestly, probably only one of them) has read the thread. I know this because I spoke with them and specifically pointed the thread out to them and then discussed the situation after they read it.

I won't mention who it was (but it shouldn't be hard to guess...) or what they might have said, save to say that they agreed that the site needed to be updated. We'll see...

Nealos
27 April 2002, 03:39 PM
For a response to these and other issues, please refer to the new thread under "comments" titled "What's Up With Starwars-rpg.net?"

Thanks much,

ij thompson
27 April 2002, 03:59 PM
Am I missing something? I can't find this post anywhere...

Jedi_Staailis
27 April 2002, 07:11 PM
Try this (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=6706) link. Nealos goes into quite a bit of depth on the situation. It's well worth the read.

ij thompson
27 April 2002, 09:25 PM
Ah, it went up a few minutes after I posted that. I'll probably chime in on that thread...