PDA

View Full Version : Stormtroopers are underrated!

nightninja50
11 April 2002, 04:51 PM
I think that everyone underestimates stormtroopers. They think they are dumb, can dumb people drive speeder bikes almost as good as a Jedi? They are also scary, I mean, countered with one or two of these still mgiht put the fear of God in my heart, so I think that you should give the poor saps some credit!!!!!!!!!!!

Deacon Frost
11 April 2002, 05:04 PM
I would probably agree excepting the fact that their stats SUCK, although the Reb era book did help a little.
And that fact they died after one shot in the movies.
Hello

Reverend Strone
11 April 2002, 05:16 PM
It's worth bearing in mind too, that we generally have only seen stormtroopers in action against our heroes in the movies, and we all know they're not indicative of the average Galactic citizen.

Equally, in game terms, when you measure a stormtrooper against a commoner(in d20 anyway), they kick tail, but next to the average (very relative term in this case) hero, they stack up less stellar.

But you're right. For the Empire's crack troops, they do fall down a little easy.

madpoet
11 April 2002, 05:28 PM
I agree that they're somewhat underrated. These soldiers struck terror on the denizens of countless worlds. Yet, as pointed out earlier, they tend to drop after one shot.

The main problem, as far as the game is concerned, is that players want to be able to mow through stormies the way Han, Luke, and company did in the Trilogy. What better way to have a pack of 1st level hero wannabes take out masses of crack Imperial troops? Make them into the biggest wimps possible!

Personally, I'm hoping that with the DR rules in the RCRB, stormtroopers will stand up a little better.

PapaSith1
15 April 2002, 07:18 PM
the problem is we all are accustomed to them in the movies. the ones that after the first few min of a new hope never hit what they are aiming for. why you ask? it is a movie. they needed the storm troopers to seem like a threat, but they couldn't hurt or kill the heros could they? and who wants to see some dude in white armor be shot over and over again. but to mean this means you can really through a group of inexperianced players a fastball with some. hehehe :raised:

Jeremosh
15 April 2002, 08:05 PM
Could someone send me or detail me on those DR and other acronym things about Stormtroopers? I would be interested in anything pertaining to Stormies.

darth maim
15 April 2002, 08:36 PM
To sum up a couple of points that were brought up so they aren't reintroduced as new ones:

Someone (sorry I forget who) brought up that the ewoks were beating them with rocks and sticks...

I replied about how they were big rocks and therefore would knock anyone down. Wearing armor doesn't make you immune to the effects of gravity and when a large rock slams you in the head you fall and if it happens to hit hard enough to crack your armor your head goes flat as well... at very least it would be likely to break your neck.

dgswensen
15 April 2002, 10:51 PM
darth maim, I agree with your point about the rocks. I also think the stormtroopers were hindered in that they were used to fighting in phalanx formation, like the Revolutionary British, and were stymied by the guerilla actions of the Ewoks. Lord knows if logs started flying down from the trees and scout walkers were blowing up and tipping over left and right, I'd freak out too.

Also, those Ewoks have to be craftier than they look if they can rig up traps like that -- or already did, since they couldn't have set them up that fast. Those little critters come prepared!

I also brought up the point, before the server switch, that we have no empirical evidence to show that stormtrooper armor actually has any effect beyond the decorative -- after all, pretty much all stormtroopers go down with one shot from a blaster -- there's no reason to believe, judging from the visual evidence in the movies, that they have any protective effect at all. Of course, that's something I'm willing to ignore for the sake of RPG fun.

:D

Ghost In The Holocron
15 April 2002, 11:50 PM
I run d20 and I've upped their stats just a tad for my campaign. There's also the combined fire option -- which is now striking some fear into my players (poor jedi don't have Deflect Blasters yet). I think if you play then intelligently -- movies and ewoks with rocks notwithstanding ;) -- they can be a good challenge. And, of course, these guys will always have back-up -- which might prove to be more than enough to match a small party of adventurers.

EMPEROR SHIN
16 April 2002, 02:10 AM
The StormTrooper are the main shock troops of the empire and are absolutely stupid and loyal to the Emperor...:o

Otonashi
16 April 2002, 06:01 AM
The Stormtroopers in the CRB is a thug 3. They can pretty much handle the common man, and even a few low level soldiers. While in the movies the heroes seem to drop them at will, they are still constantly running from them. We are so used to the image of Navy Seals creeping around when we think of an elite fighting force. Stormtroopers don't sneak, they take ground in the name of their emperor one doorway at a time. Of course you are going to hit a Stormtroopers, they don't duck or dodge. They keep coming without fear of the consequences. They will always fight to the death, and that means that everybody has to pay attention when the shock troops show up.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
16 April 2002, 06:56 AM
It's one thing to watch it in the movies ...

it's another thing to get into a hairy situation and the dice aren't cooperating for ya ... blaster rifles may not be acurate in rapid fire but they're bound to hit ya anyways ...

Thug3 for stormies? suppose, but ever try making them soldier 3? I always thought stormies would have been soldier class since they are imperial army after all...

Here's a thought... if the stormie's armor was actually effective at taking a few blaster shots... the heros & rebel troops never did wear any armor so blaster bolts were equally lethal to both? taken into account that the stormie armor was probably more restrictive only added to thngs... Hmm a few shots each to take out a stormie when the stormies are in large numbers ... just a tad overwhelming don't ya think?

Lokar
16 April 2002, 06:16 PM
I always thought of the Stormtroopers as more like the marines, well trained assault troops. I might make the naval troopers and regular soldier as maybe 1 or 2 level soliders or perhaps thugs. The Stromies would defently be soldiers, at either level 2 or 3. At least that's how I play them

jedifilmmaker
18 April 2002, 07:36 AM
I find it weird that obi wan says that only stormtroopers can be so precice, and then the troopers can't hit the broad side of a barn later in the movie. Also the troopers suck in allot of the games, why is that? They spend years of their life training, only to be cut down by a jedi, blasted by a smuggler, or bashed by an ewok.

dgswensen
18 April 2002, 08:54 AM
Story reasons, really. If stormtroopers were really as fearsome and capable as their reputation, they would have slaughtered the heroes in the hallway of the detention center... no more movie.

And they suck in the video games because players want to mow them down by the dozens... like the heroes did in the movies. :)

I remember distinctly, when the SW Special Editions came out in theaters -- the moment when Obi-Wan said "only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" the whole theater broke out laughing.

scourgicus
18 April 2002, 09:41 AM
Here's an interesting thought...

I just played out a battle in the control room of a fighter platform between roughly 30 STs and 4 Jedi Knights (including Luke); the other three were JC 12, JG 10, and FRG 3/JG 9. Using combined fire, making some of the STs lvl 6 thugs, an ST Capt (lvl 8 Merc) and the station Commander (Officer 8) and despite much use of Deflect Blasters I managed to take down two of the Jedi, one of whom died (JC 12 - critical hit. I played it out that the ST Cpt whacked her in the head with his rifle [stunning her] then shoved the rifle against her gut and fired, spewing intestines everywhere. She failed her Save vs death.)

2 down, 1 dead and a 2 left. Not bad for a bunch of Stormies. In the end though the FRG/JG and Luke cut down the rest. Luke after all, is friggin invulnerable. Ironically, Luke never lost a single VP.

Chris Curtis
18 April 2002, 10:58 AM
I find it weird that obi wan says that only stormtroopers can be so precice, and then the troopers can't hit the broad side of a barn later in the movie.

Well, I'd replied to this thread earlier, but it seems that my message was lost during the server transition. I'll just sum up what my much longer post was saying:

While you're correct that in many (most?) scenes in the movies, the STs "can't hit the broad side of a barn". However, there are some notable exceptions to this.

The foremost exception would be the very first time we ever seem Stormtroopers -- when they're storming Tantive IV. During that boarding they seemed to do quite well versus the Rebel troopers. The eliminated or detained all of the Rebels for only a scant few STs down. Second, during the assault on the Hoth base, it's quite evident that the STs were more or less mowing down everything in their path (save for the heroes).

So STs aren't always incompetent -- just when necessary for the plot. ;)

Talonne Hauk
23 April 2002, 10:45 AM
Stormtroopers are pretty formidable in numbers. My PC's are afraid enough when a dozen stormtroopers come their way, because invariably one shot will get through and take someone out. So if I want to rattle my scabbard at my players, I send a garrison of stormtroopers after them. Puts the fear of God into 'em every time.:D

Rip Jedi
20 May 2002, 08:26 PM
ive always seen stormtroopers as the doritos of the empire
Kill All You Want We'll Make More

patrick.bunch
1 June 2002, 07:10 AM
Storm troopers are the Emipre's premire soldiers. They are best when used as trained units of soldiers and as such are capable of more as a group than as individuals.

Imperial StormTrooper
Thug 4 CODE: B DF 10 DR:5 (Ar Check 2) VP -- / WP 15
Spd 8m Int +0 Save: Fort +4 Reflex+1, Will +1
Melee Atk +4 (1d3 punch)
Blaster Rifle +4 (3d8/19-20/40m) Total Attacks: -2/-2/-2
Immune-Bribe, Seduce, Route
Skills: Climb-1, Intimidate+4, Jump-1, KN-Imp Army +2, Search+2, Spot+2,
Prof (StormTrooper) +4
Feats: Ar. Prof-Lt/Med/Power, Wpn Grp-Blaster/Simple/Hvy.Wpn
Toughness, Rapid Shot
Combined Fire: Up to 5 Stormtroopers fire at the same target to gain a +4 attack bonus.

Squad Leader
Thug 8 CODE: C DF 11 (+1 Dex) DR:5 (Ar Check 2) VP 3 / WP 18
Spd 8m Int +1 Save: Fort +6 Reflex+2 Will +2
Melee Atk +8/+3 (1d4 punch)
Blaster Rifle +9/+4 (3d8/19-20/40m) Total Attacks: +3/+3/+3/-2
Skills: Climb +0, Intimidate+6, Jump-1, KN-Imp Army +3, Search+4, Spot+2,
Prof (StormTrooper) +6
Toughness, Rapid Shot, Quickness
Long Live the Emperor: A Stormtrooper Squad leader may use his leadership to inspire his soldiers. The Cmdr must speak for 1 round, and make a DC (+ CHA bonus) equal to 10 +1 per soldier. If successful, the soldiers gain +1 Attack bonus and +1 Will save for 2 minutes. A Cmdr may do so only once per day.

Force Leader
Thug 12 CODE: D DF 12 (+2 Dex) DR:5 (Ar Check 2) VP 8 / WP 25
Spd 8m Int +2 Save: Fort +8 Reflex+4 Will +4
Melee Atk +12/+7/+2 (1d6 punch)
Blaster Rifle +13/+8/+3 (3d8/19-20/40m) Total Attacks: +9/+9/+9/+4/-1
Skills: Climb+0, Intimidate+8, Jump-1, KN-Imp Army +4, Search+5, Spot+3,
Prof (StormTrooper) +8
Toughness, Rapid Shot, Quickness, Multishot, Wpn Focus
Academy Training: See SWCR/Prestige class/Officer/Tactics.
Anticipate Opponents: A Stormtrooper Force Leader may make a Sense Motive check (DC 15) as a full round action to study a single opponent. The following round, his initiative is +1vs. the opponent.
Hold the Line: A Stormtrooper Force leader may use his devotion to the Emperor to inspire his soldiers. Make a DC (+ CHA bonus) equal to 10 +1 per soldier. Gain a +2 to all Will saves (this bonus stacks with Iron Will), and when fighting defensively the attack penalty is reduced to -2.

DarthKels
8 June 2002, 03:46 PM
Sure the Stormtroopers are dumb soldiers, but -as everyone here said- they are much better than the average being in the Galaxy. But, again, PCs are -or are supposed to be- heroes. If Skywalker, Solo and company always have a fun time blasting their way out of an entire Stormtrooper squad -and sometimes tow or three...- there is no arguement on the fact that even heroes fear for their own lives when facing Stormies.
Beside, I remember my players getting an hard time fooling around with the Glad Agents. (I play the old D6 system, and I have huge fun!) Therefore, if I judge that my PCs get out of fight too easily against Stromtroopers then I do cheat a little: I get the White Boyos a little better.
-I'll always remenber the reaction of my PCs one day when they first fought my "upgraded Glad Boys": 3 PCs -1 Merc, 1 Jedi (with experience) and 1 Smuggler- against 10 brand new Storm with my personnel touch. The fight raged for 2 rounds, when the Merc got shot down and the Jedi had to protect her friends with blaster deflecting. Too bad that she didn't noticed the heavy Rocket-launcher that the Squad Leader was bearing. Oh! The PCs escaped, but they got the life scared out of them before reinforcments came in.- My PCs never looked at Stormtroopers the same way than before, and now they know that the Glad Agents really are the best army organization in the Empire.
Even heroes must not misjudge Stortroopers, or they won't live to regret it. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!...... Sorry.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
8 June 2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by patrick.bunch
Storm troopers are the Emipre's premire soldiers.

I think that that honor would fall to the StormCommandos, or maybe Spacetroopers?

Rouge8
8 June 2002, 06:22 PM
Stormies are cool

Aldaron
10 June 2002, 07:54 PM
Seriously, the only time STs appear incompetent is when they're facing the heroes.

Whenever they're stacked up against "similar" characters (<i>Tantive IV</i>, Hoth, etc), they kick butt. It's one thing to be precise against "average" people with, like 2D on <i>Dodge</i>...it's another when you're trying to hit heroes with 6 or 7D.

The main change I made to STs in the d6 system was to have their stats as printed <i>already</i> represent the reductions due to their armour...speaking of which.

Yep, we see STs fall over with a single blaster shot. Do we know they're dead? If you're wearing a kevlar vest and get hit with a shotgun blast to the chest, you'll still fall over, I guarantee it! :)

POSSIBLE AotC SPOILER...highlight to read

<font color=white>But it'll save your life. It's a lot easier to slap a medpac or two on a wounded ST, or put him in bacta for day, than it is to grow and train a new one (which we now know takes about 10 years).</font>

Plus, in the d6 system, anyway, I find the most lethal thing about them is their ability to automatically combine fire -- they work so well as a team they needn't make a check.

Here's a better test:

Put 10 STs up against 10 plain vanilla Alliance troops.

See who wins...I have, and guess who wiped the Alliance troops out with just 3 losses?

patrick.bunch
14 June 2002, 01:55 AM
I think that that honor would fall to the StormCommandos, or maybe Spacetroopers?

Come on, now; The Storm Trooper Legions ARE the cream of the Imperial Army! All the specialty troops are just that, STs with training particular to specific environment or tactical mission. The specialty troop are great for single special purpose missions but they are not going to be able to wage war on a planetary scale. That's what the ST Legions are made for. I wish I still had my old WEG Imperial Source Book, it just barely touched on the organization and firepower the Legions are capable of.
Now granted, player PCs are more powerful that regular guy #1, but even a squad or two of trained STs should at least give players pause before that ignite sabers and leap into battle!

patrick.bunch
14 June 2002, 01:56 AM

Come on, now; The Storm Trooper Legions ARE the cream of the Imperial Army! All the specialty troops are just that, STs with training particular to specific environment or tactical mission. The specialty troop are great for single special purpose missions but they are not going to be able to wage war on a planetary scale. That's what the ST Legions are made for. I wish I still had my old WEG Imperial Source Book, it just barely touched on the organization and firepower the Legions are capable of.
Now granted, player PCs are more powerful that regular guy #1, but even a squad or two of trained STs should at least give players pause before they ignite sabers and leap into battle!

FlipDog 2000
14 June 2002, 08:54 AM
Got a little of that double posting action there....:p

But Stormies are underrated...despite the fact they can't hit anything smaller than a Sandcrawler, just the sheer intimidation of them can be freaking scary. How would you like to see a rifle-toting dDeath's Head mask coming at you??? Huh....huh???

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
14 June 2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by patrick.bunch

Come on, now; The Storm Trooper Legions ARE the cream of the Imperial Army!

And stormcommandos are the cream of the Storm Trooper Legions. But that's only if you want to get really specific.