PDA

View Full Version : Our New Home!

Armage Bedar
15 April 2002, 01:27 PM
Welcome, old members and new, to our new server! Many of you no doubt remember the problems we had on our old server, hosted with Site5. While they were great, we were just taxing their resources too much and many people weren't able to view the site without "Server too busy" errors.

After a bit of time and a lot of money spent, we're on a new server, all to ourselves. It's taken some time to get everything set up, but I think everything should be working now. Email might still be acting up, so if in doubt send mail to staff@swrpgnetwork.com. One other important thing: many posts from Friday and Saturday were lost. They are irretrievable, I'm afraid, which means you'll have to repost anything you've made since then. I tried to pull them, but I was unable to do so. <b>Consider yourself warned</b>.

This should be the last major hurdle to our expansion for the foreseeable future. I can't guarantee that our ping times will be as good as they were at Site5 (they're about 100ms higher being that we're now hosted in Washington state rather than New Jersey) but stability and access should be better.

We're glad to be back. Keep the comments coming so I can keep an eye on how the server is doing.

dgswensen
15 April 2002, 04:07 PM
Awesome. :)

It's good to be back... I was starting to really miss this place. I needed my fix! But, life seems back to normal now. Congrats :D

Donovan Morningfire
15 April 2002, 04:41 PM
It's ... alive ....
It's alive ...
ALIVE!!!!

Hey, someone had to say it. And since I'm the one with the rep for corny gags, might as well be me. :D

Ghost In The Holocron
15 April 2002, 05:02 PM
Hey, all! Ah, yes -- the fog has lifted and it's great to back! I was starting to turn into a frittered little SWRPGer suffering from HoloNet deprivation.

Everything seems to working just great. Seems to be faster as well, at least from my end. Kudos to the mad geniuses behind the curtain! Hope it's just as good or better for everyone else.

Aaron B'Aviv
15 April 2002, 05:16 PM
Yeah... Armage, I realize that in the end, it'll be a good thing to be on a better server.

But...

HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US???

Us poor Holonetters, stuck without access to the Holonet for several days.

madpoet
15 April 2002, 05:17 PM
Congrats on your new server and good work on getting everything done so quickly! I was really starting to miss the site, even though it was only gone a couple of days. My wife, however, was pleased that I was spending less time on the computer and more time on rather tedious household chores.:D

Reverend Strone
15 April 2002, 06:43 PM
Hello everyone!

It's soooo good to have the Holonet back. The last three days for me have been like a crack addict going cold-turkey. It made me realise I have become totally dependant on this place.

I admit it. I'm a hopeless case.

Congratulations on being back guys. I have high hopes for the new server. It's great to know you guys are constantly looking for ways to improve the site. We all appreciate it.

Bjorn
15 April 2002, 07:34 PM
Oh God how I missed the SWRPGNetwork while it was down. I got so use to coming by here everyday & posting or reading posts by others. I guess that old saying "You never know what you've got until its gone" applies here. ;)

Glad to see the site back up & running. Keep up the great work!

Bjorn

darth maim
15 April 2002, 08:27 PM
I guess I'll mirror all the rest and say....

I'm addicted... I couldn't stand it and was still checking CONSTANTLY hoping it was back... and now IT IS!!!

although I wish the last things posted were still there... I had some witty things that got lost... :( :rolleyes: :D

grizzly
16 April 2002, 01:55 AM
YAY!! it's back :) like everyone else I've been stuck for something important to look at on the web while the move was in progress, although I don't think the 100ms increase in ping time will effect me too much from Australia ;)

Nazgul
16 April 2002, 03:45 AM
Tried it from home over a dialup and its a lot quicker for me, but then again I'm next door, ;). Congrats on the new server, and I understand your pain revstrone. If felt the same way.

Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, Is it there yet, .......

Reverend Strone
16 April 2002, 11:41 PM
Well, so far so good. I've had no problems with "Server Busy" or any of that stuff, and the network seems to be running as smoothly and quickly as ever.

Well done guys.

"Well you can forget your troubles with those Server Busy slugs. I told ya I'd loose 'em".

reliant
17 April 2002, 05:58 AM
Congrats guys on getting things up and running so quickly. Too long without the holonet is tough... I found myself checking even MORE often just to see if it was back yet... I think I'm okay now... I'll just go an re-read all the posts just to make sure...;)

Too bad I posted the secret of life on friday... I forgot it the second I pressed send, so now we'll never know!!!!

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 April 2002, 11:53 AM
Hey, lovin the change-over just fine! I must say, its nice to get onto the holonet anytime of day and even post in a few threads before getting caught in the "server busy" Interdictor field :)

Hmm, the only section of the forums that seemed to get hit the hardest was the fan-fiction section... several casualties i noticed... Not a big deal as i can repost with a " Repost: " header for anything of mine... I've got all mine saved in notepad...

Hmm, I hope everyone else has a digital copy of their fan-fics on their hd ;)

grizzly
19 April 2002, 11:09 PM
As an amendment to my last post about not thinking 100ms would make much of a difference to Australia..... I don't know what's happened, but I've found loading pages is taking me about half as long as it used to on the old server :) Maybe there is a more direct route downunder now, but I'm loving the speed boost, and this is on dialup too!! Can't wait to get my adsl hooked up B)

Reverend Strone
20 April 2002, 02:36 PM
As an amendment to my last post about not thinking 100ms would make much of a difference to Australia..... I don't know what's happened, but I've found loading pages is taking me about half as long as it used to on the old server Maybe there is a more direct route downunder now, but I'm loving the speed boost, and this is on dialup too!! Can't wait to get my adsl hooked up

Yeah, ditto to that from the Kiwi.