PDA

View Full Version : Web Tools?

Dr_Worm
16 April 2002, 12:30 PM
Hey all you Web Heads out there. Earthlink gave me some space and I thought I'd post my campaign site somewhere besides MSN Communities (which blows but is free). So I need a html publisher and I am a penny pinching Scotsman, so I want a free one. I read on the web that AOL Press put a really good, free, publisher out, but I can't find it. Any suggestions abou the AOL one or any other Publishers?

PS I have casual knowledge and abbility with html, but no good graphics editors (besides an ancient Corel 5).

Bombaatu
16 April 2002, 12:49 PM
I am a professional web developer and my design tool of choice is Homesite. They have a free trial offer available here (http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite/download/) - I think it's good for 30 days, maybe longer. The purchase price is also pretty low for this good a package ($99.00), altho you may be able to find an older version on E-bay cheaper. The program comes with an excellent help section as well. It handles HTML, JavaScript, and ASP (VBScript) quite well, and I believe version 5 may even have a build-in ASP debugger (I run version 4.5, which doesn't)

Hope that this helps...

Bombaatu
16 April 2002, 12:51 PM
If you are looking for a graphics editor, a trial version of PaintShop Pro 7 can be obtained here (http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp?) - also good for 30 days.

Nazgul
16 April 2002, 01:30 PM
I use FrontPage, but Darth Cute uses Adobe GoLive (If you're a student you can buy anything for dirt cheap. I mean MS Visual Studio.Net for $90!!! Or MS Office Pro $129.)

dgswensen
16 April 2002, 02:28 PM
If you're familiar with HTML, you might consider using NoteTab Pro (http://www.notetab.com). They have libraries for pretty much any scripting / programming language out there (Javascript, PHP, CSS, C++, etc.), including several different ones for HTML.

The full pro version is $25; however, there is a completely free version available for download from their website. The last time I checked, it wasn't even nagware -- just free, no questions asked. (The pro version is easily worth twice the price, though.)

This is not a WYSIWYG editor, though you the libraries have handy buttons which allow you to slap down just about any HTML code with the click of one button, and then preview it in the browser. If you really need a Front Page / Netscape Composter type GUI, though, then this is probably not the tool for you.

Anyway, it's small, portable, and extremely customizable. I use it in both my professional and my personal web development -- I would be completely lost without it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Aaron B'Aviv
16 April 2002, 04:25 PM
I used Notetab when I learned html and I agree with DGSwenson... it's infinitely better than just using Notepad. Of course, that's only for if you know html. It's just a text editor. If you want a WYSIWYG editor, I can't help you. All of the WYSIWYG editors I've used I've hated. I prefer to tinker with the html itself. I get what I want that way.

darth maim
16 April 2002, 05:11 PM
I've definately got to recommend Dreamweaver... I own a web design company and have been doing it for many years and it's definately my favorite. I started in Frontpage but it's nowhere near as flexible and useful as dreamweaver... You can get a trial version (30 days I think) from macromedia.com and if you're less than scrupulous there are thousands of cracks available. I would list locations but that could implicate the holonet for being a party to piracy and I somehow think the admins would be less than pleased with that.

Chris Curtis
16 April 2002, 07:47 PM
Yeah, definitely do not publically encourage piracy. Big no no.

I will echo that Dreamweaver is an excellent WYSIWYG editor. I use it myself quite a bit when I don't want to do straight hand coding. It outputs, by far, the best code I've seen. Not a proprietary tag in sight.

For text editing of HTML I use UltraEdit (found here (http://www.ultraedit.com/)). You can get a free trial, but I don't remember what the full version costs. Very nice all-around text editor, but it has great sear/replace and file functionality as well as very useful color-coding.

For graphics, I usually use Paint Shop Pro as Bombaatu recommended. You'll be hard-pressed to find a really good free graphics editor since almost all of the free ones do not support the GIF format (for licensing fee reasons).

Dr_Worm
16 April 2002, 07:57 PM
Ok I thought I knew enough to get by, but what is WYSIWYG. I don't know about 30day trials. I will no more capable to afford a full version in 30 days than I can now. Also I am relly not intrested in cracked software. In my experience they have issues, and lack adequate instructional support. Perhaps I will have to wait.

dgswensen
16 April 2002, 08:16 PM
What You See Is What You Get. Basically an HTML editor with a GUI -- instead of writing (or inserting) code, you work with a visual mock-up of the page, and the software does all the work for you. FronPage, Netscape Composer, and Dreamweaver are good examples of this.

I don't think you're going to find a really good WYSIWYG editor for free. You might find a passable one that you can live with, though.

Burner
17 April 2002, 08:40 AM
If you are comfortable with the HTML tags then try HTML-Kit. It is completely free and gives you a structured way of setting up and organizing your web site files. It even works well with style sheets.

I am cheap :D and for the longest time would not use anything but notepad until I found this tool. It is a huge step up and allows you to format your HTML code so it is understandable when you have to do revisinf and updating down the road.

It can be found at: www.chami.com