PDA

View Full Version : Rodeese or Huttese?

Reverend Strone
16 April 2002, 11:54 PM
For the sake of my current campaign which features both races extensively, can anyone shed insight into whether Greedo was speaking Huttese or Rodeese during his fateful encounter with Solo?

(Oh and don't believe what you might have heard- the smuggler definately fired first, "special edition, smecial edition" )

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
17 April 2002, 12:30 AM
I believe that he was speaking Rodeese, just because Huttese as a language wasn't put together until Lucas did RotJ.

Chris Curtis
17 April 2002, 06:16 AM
Well, I think we can safely assume that Jabba was, in fact, speaking Huttese in RotJ (and ANH:SE). So the best thing to do would probably be to simply compare the audio from Greedo and Jabba. If they sound fairly similar (similar as in speech structure, use of consonants/vowels, etc.) then I'd say Greedo was speaking Huttese. If they aren't very similar, then he was probably speaking Rodese.

Unfortunately, I'm not in any position right now to check myself. Relying on my notably faulty memory, though, I don't remember them sounding all that similar.

So, to sum up a post that's far too long, I'll concur with Frobi.

Reverend Strone
17 April 2002, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that was the conclusion I had come to too, but I wanted to check and see whether there was an official line on ths somewhere, and of course, throw it out there to the wisdom of the Holonetters.

dgswensen
17 April 2002, 12:47 PM
Ben Burtt's book The Star Wars Galactic Phrasebook and Travel Guide contains many phrases spoken by Greedo in A New Hope , including "Going somewhere?" and "It's too late for that." All of them are in Huttese.

Mathis Kharr
18 April 2002, 02:56 AM
Greedo was speaking Rodese.

Chris Curtis
18 April 2002, 05:35 AM
Mathis, do you have any kind of evidence or reasoning behind your statement? Or were you just stating your personal opinion without qualifying it?

I've always assumed it was Rodese, but dgswensen seems to have found a very good source which contradicts that. Anyone else have more "evidence" which might lend weight to one side or the other?

dgswensen
18 April 2002, 08:51 AM
Actually, I found better evidence even than that. I was thumbing through the Galactic Phrasebook again, and on page 135 it reads:

"To this end I searched and found several fascinating possibilities. First came Huttese, which I needed for Greedo when he confronted Han Solo in the Mos Eisley cantina...The result was immediately a hit with George and everybody on the crew. Pretty soon everyone was greeting each other in the editing room with the phrase "Koona t'chuta, Solo?" At that point I knew we had a success with Huttese, but I never realized it was going to be taken so much further in the subsequent films."

From the mouth of the sound designer himself... I think it's safe to say that about settles the question.

Reverend Strone
18 April 2002, 07:26 PM
Sounds like the last word on that subject, unless anyone has any new arguements.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. That was helpful.