PDA

View Full Version : What time are YOU seeing Episode 2?

Corsair
18 April 2002, 11:25 PM
Well, I scored a midnight screening. 12am May 16th. Being in Sydney, Australia .. I think that means I see it before that at the US and Canada, seeing as they have it airing on May 16th as well.

Correct me if I am wrong but would that mean that I would be at the "technically" first public screening of the movie?

Would be cool if it was.

Reverend Strone
19 April 2002, 12:46 AM
I got you licked Corsair.

In New Zealand, we're a time-zone ahead of you guys, so if I can make it to the midnight screening I'll be watching that yellow text scroll up across the big screen while you're on your way to the cinema.

At present I'm trying to organise a possy of guys from the Workshop to tag along to the midnight session with me. There's a new complex opened up that do $25 Regency seats (probably old hat everywhere else, but in NZ this is brand new). You get a lazy-boy chair, wine, sushi, desert, the whole deal. I was thinking of booking out the cinema, but my dilemma is, I booked ahead last time round for Ep 1, and then two days before the opening, they invited us all to a complimentary screening.

While I wouldn't complain about that, it would leave me way outta pocket, so I've got some pretty tough choices to make this week when tickets go on sale.

Whatever happens, it'll be fun to catch up the next day and share thoughts Corsair. You and I could be amongst the first Holonetters to see the film unless they open it in the States earlier. We had to wait an agonizing three weeks for Ep 1. I had to swear off the net for fear of spoilers.

Bombaatu
19 April 2002, 05:49 AM
Well, I have an intense dislike for crowds and lines, so there is no way I'm going to attempt a first-showing. However, shortly after the movie opens, I might be taking my kids to Six Flags in Dallas, and from there it's just a hop and a skip to that digital theater in Plano... :D

dgswensen
19 April 2002, 07:19 AM
I won't be seeing it opening night.

I went to a lot of trouble to see Phantom Menace -- stood in line for hours, at two in the morning, etc. -- and it was good, but not great. Not really worth the trouble I went to. I'm not willing to go through that again and risk being disappointed a second time.

If Episode II really kicks ass, I might consider going nuts for Episode III.

Corsair
19 April 2002, 09:07 AM
Ah yes. I forgot about New Zealand revstrone.

So its the guys in NZ that will be seeing the first public screening.

Think the movie will start for me as it is ending for you revstrone. From the trailers it looks like its gonna be pretty good. I never really follow the hype of movies much. I didn't for Episode I which is why I probably liked it more than others.

Episode II will be good though. Hope you guys read The Approaching Storm before you go see Episode II. Although the book is a tad dull - doesn't really get interesting until like the last 1/3 - it does set the scene for Episode II.

As soon as I get home on May 16, expecting to see comments from me about the movie, and from revstrone too. Hehe. :D

FULONGAMER
23 April 2002, 05:14 AM
Well, I am scheduling my entire Mid-Tour leave from Korea around making it to the States for EPII. A transcontinental flight and 2 weeks to scrimp, squeeze, finaegle, and invent ways to get to my loved ones in time is the Quest, and I am up to the challenge. True you will beat me out in NZ and AU, and I suppose I could just hang around in the ROK for it as well, (and if I can't get a Space-Available hop I will!).

But

Although the fact of the EP1 movie itself had some disappointing elements, the party before it was not one of them. Two days of block party waiting for the show, trading off with my wife between duty for the Army and duty in line was actually worth it.

SW is a feature of Americana that I am glad to embrace, and is a gateway to the world at large as well. I WILL make it to opening night show(s) of EP2 if only for the experience of again "being there". Things people always ask are "Where were you for 9/11, Kennedy, the Moon Landing, The Challenger, the Fall of the Wall...", and more. Some are the provenance of the generations before us. Some are tragedies, and some are heralded triumphs. But few are so global spanning and joyous in their celebration as "Where were you when you first saw Star Wars [insert here]".

Like the Earth spanning new years celebrations, or the race around the world to follow the coming of Christmas, the unveiling of the latest chapter of the Star Wars saga is a global event that I will do my part to share in and enjoy for it's own sake and in celebration of the freedoms it represents and the hope it chooses to illuminate for us all.

It may be escapisim to some. It may be skewed priorities to others. But to many, it is an opportunity and a chance to prove again that there is a way to find unity in this fractured world, to embrace diversity of opinion as a virtue, and to stand proudly among companions against those who would terrorize, divide, and oppress. For all the vitrol and vehemence we express among ourselves as fans and even to the unwashed Trek Masses (kiddin'), it is our freedom to do so and our right to celebrate it that brings us together on common ground (even if we have differing opinions on what it looks like).

Iris
23 April 2002, 05:19 AM
Definately on opening day, probably a 7pm or 7:30pm screening since I have to work and, since I'm going on a week long vaction starting on the 17th I don't want to blow another vacation day to see an earlier screening of E2.

I will pre-purchase my tickets though!

reliant
23 April 2002, 09:06 AM
I camped out for tickets for Episode 1 (2 week advanced sale tickets), then again to get in line for the actual showing (midnight) and then was disapointed. I will probably buy advanced tickets (the day after they go on sale) and will probably go to the midnight show, but I'm not sleeping outiside a movie theater or missing work to do it this time.

Iris
23 April 2002, 11:53 AM
Camping out to buy tickets... novel idea. ;)

But seriously, I plan to simply buy them on online as soon as they go on sale. I pick them up at the kiosk at the theater and away I go. No sleeping on a cold pavement and possibly getting wet if it rains.

reliant
23 April 2002, 12:01 PM
It was actually pretty fun. We ended up on the news and everyting... The theater was way cool about it and gave us posters and stuff for being there, PLUS we got our tickets first (I was 5th in line). My cousin and I organized the line as more people came and started a list. We pretty much ran the show for the line. It was definately a cool experience. The day of the show some squatters came and took over line respsonisbilities, but we still had fun and everyone gave us credit anyway... :D

Now I'm getting ready to trek from Pittsburgh PA out to Indianapolis for Celebration II. Staying out there for the weekend is making up for the fact that I won't be camping for tickets this year (although I know some people who are, and they're gonna score my tickets for me). If they don't come through, I'll just drive by the theater and pick up tickets the day AFTER they go on sale like everyone else did who failed to have our determination... :(

Iris
24 April 2002, 04:46 AM
LOL Sounds like you had a blast!

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a good time or worth doing. I was just poking fun at you. :D

Have a good time at Celebration II! Safe trip there and back again!

reliant
24 April 2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Iris
LOL Sounds like you had a blast!

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a good time or worth doing. I was just poking fun at you. :D

Have a good time at Celebration II! Safe trip there and back again!

:D

I think we can collectively poke fun at the guys who have been camping out for episode II for over 100 days already. It is obvious to me that these guys need lives/jobs/significant others. Someone needs to help them... One day was bad enough, I can't imagine devoting almost half a year to waiting in line for ONE MOVIE. 8o

By the way, just so no one can accuse me of being off topic (I confess that I am) I guess those guys will be seeing the first show... ;)

dgswensen
24 April 2002, 06:55 AM
I don't know, I have a kind of respect for the guys who camp out to see Star Wars. I think it's cool that someone can be so passionate about something. These days, it's easy (and ever more common) not to like anything. Go over to Aint-It-Cool-News or Rotten Tomatoes sometime, and read the forums. The people there just endlessly b*tch and moan and whine about how this movie sucks, and that movie sucks, and this movie that hasn't even come out yet is going to suck. It makes you wonder why on Earth they bother going to see any movies at all, since they seem to despise them so much -- Star Wars especially.

These guys camping out at the theater obviously have a very genuine love of Star Wars, so much so that they're willing to put their normal lives on hold and endure what's got to be some pretty lousy living conditions for months at a time. I can guarantee you, when they finally get into the theater, the feeling of payoff and enthusiasm they feel is going to be more potent than mine when I wander into a matinee some afternoon and see ATOC for the first time.

I think it's cool to see people who are still very un-jaded and enthusiastic about movies. That's a far cry, of course, from camping out to see Episode II being something I'd do personally, which it most certainly is not.

reliant
24 April 2002, 07:57 AM
I agree with most of what you said dgsensen, but I think they are doing it for the publicity too. I read an interview with the guys and they talked about wanting to get into guiness for longest wait for a movie, and how the one was going to write a book and all kinds of other stuff. It may have started out as love for star wars, but I think the darkside is starting to corrupt their once innocent plans.

wolverine
24 April 2002, 10:17 PM
GMT 8:00 pm, Friday the 17th. THis way, i don't have to hustle and bustle for a seat. Already got the ticket. That plus i have duty on thursday.

THis will be in london, at the finchley road oden.

Ghost In The Holocron
24 April 2002, 11:36 PM
You know, it's funny in way that the Ep II movie schedule is still a big mystery here where I am. There's all the hubub about Spidey showing on May 3, but no word yet on Clones.

It doesn't seem to be bothering me yet. And -- hey -- I'm ready to leave for the first show with my personally handcrafted clip-on mock padawan braid at a moment's notice.

It's likely the movie distribution guys might be able to swing the May 16 release date, though. Then again, knowing how things are around here, I could be in for a much longer wait than just 3 or so weeks. Might even be a month or two -- who knows!

Ah well, I'm a sucker for suspense. ;)

Dan Stack
25 April 2002, 02:52 AM
I'm afraid I'm not quite sure...

I really want to see it on opening weekend - opening night if possible. But... my wife and I are expecting the birth of our 1st child in the last week of May. Which has an actual range of possible arrival times that includes opening night. I've been explaining to the unborn baby how much she happier she'll be if she sees Episode II with mommy and daddy (albeit while in the womb...)

You think mommy would mind if I booked out of the delivery room for a few hours to see Star Wars? 8o

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
25 April 2002, 01:35 PM
I will be seeing episode two at the earliest showing my local theater will show it, which might be once at 7 p.m. I waited in line for Fellowship of the Ring and would be willing to wait longer for this one.

And isn't there some other country that lives right on the inside of the International Date Line that technically would get to see the first premiere?

Reverend Strone
25 April 2002, 02:44 PM
And isn't there some other country that lives right on the inside of the International Date Line that technically would get to see the first premiere?

Ooh, ooh- that would be me! or rather us- New Zealand. We're right inside the dateline- first to see the Sun and all that. There were a heap of folks that flew to our shores to welcome the new millenium a couple of years back. If you're really desperate to see Ep II, I have a spare room.

madpoet
26 April 2002, 03:53 AM
I guess I'm lucky, because a close friend of mine is an editor for 20th Century Fox. I'll being seeing AOTC at a closed screening on the Fox Studios lot on May 14th. I also plan on going on opening day around 7 pm. I did the same thing for Ep 1. The private screenings are nice, but I really enjoy going to a public theater on opening day, the energy level is so intense!!

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
26 April 2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by revstrone

Ooh, ooh- that would be me! or rather us- New Zealand. We're right inside the dateline- first to see the Sun and all that. There were a heap of folks that flew to our shores to welcome the new millenium a couple of years back. If you're really desperate to see Ep II, I have a spare room.

Guess your right, don't know what country I was thinking of...

Reverend Strone
28 April 2002, 03:24 PM

Guess your right, don't know what country I was thinking of...

There are some other small island nations in the same time-zone as NZ, so perhaps you ment one of them? But as we're all in the same zone, even if they are slightly closer to the dateline, we all click over on the clock at the same time.

Back on the topic, I mucked around for too long about getting a ticket (turns out there were guys camped outside the cinema here too) so I ain't going to the opening night for AOTC afterall.

However, I have a friend who is a reviewer who gets to go to advance press screenings of movies. Apparantly he has a spare ticket. Time to remind him what a great buddy I am- gifts, accolades, shameless greasing...

Reverend Strone
30 April 2002, 08:31 PM
Alrighty! Following in the tradition of TPM, all the crew at my work have been invited to the 12:01 am Thursday 16th May screening of AOTC, so I guess that means I'll be seeing it before all you guys after all!

I'm trying not to sound in any way gloaty, but I'm just way too excited. We waited two weeks for TPM to open down here, so this is just awesome. I was banking on having to log off the holonet for a couple of weeks again this year for fear of spoilers, but I guess not!

madpoet
1 May 2002, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by revstrone
so I guess that means I'll be seeing it before all you guys after all!

Not before me! :p Read my post above.

Just messing with you, revstrone! I'm glad you don't have to wait too long to see AOTC. I'm just lucky to have a friend on the inside when it comes to movie premieres. When TPM came out, I'd already seen 3 times before it was released.

Reverend Strone
1 May 2002, 01:20 PM
How did I miss that?

Congratulations Madpoet. I look forward to comparing notes with you.

Superdog
1 May 2002, 08:24 PM
I plan on a repeat performance of my Episode 1 showing. Here's how that went: Get out of school on said day. Drive for a half and hour to the nearest movie theater. Arrive 15 minutes before movies starts. For some reason there was NO line. I don't know why. When we walked out, there was a line out the door, but no line for the first showing that we got to. How-ever, the theater was the fullest I've ever seen it, which isn't saying much, there were probably a good two dozen empty seats.

Reverend Strone
1 May 2002, 08:47 PM
For some reason there was NO line. I don't know why. When we walked out, there was a line out the door, but no line for the first showing that we got to. How-ever, the theater was the fullest I've ever seen it, which isn't saying much, there were probably a good two dozen empty seats.

Yeah, strange. I had a friend in San Francisco, of all places, who went to a mid-afternoon screening downtown the day Ep I opened. He was one of 3 people in the cinema.

Go figure.

grizzly
3 May 2002, 05:08 AM
Sorry Reverend but even tho I'm in Perth, about 4 hours behind you, I'll still beat you into the cinema :p The Variety Clubs in Australia are having screenings where the proceeds go towards their childrens charity programs, and I waltz into the screening at 7pm Perth time (which is 9pm Sydney time.. about 11pm in NZ??) :D :D

Reverend Strone
5 May 2002, 12:43 PM
Looks like I might still beat you fine folks. A good friend of mine seems to think he's just scored two seats in a print-check screening this coming weekend. Since he doesn't have a girlfriend, he offered to take me along.

We'll see whether this actually pans out, but that would be exceptionally cool- four days ahead of schedule!

grizzly
6 May 2002, 03:08 AM
4 Days?? How wude :(

VixenofVenus
8 May 2002, 10:50 AM
JediFilmaker, FlipDog 2000, and I all have tickets for 7:30 pm on the 16th ... :)

Iris
9 May 2002, 04:21 AM
I have tickets for 8:30pm on the 16th. :)

Donovan Morningfire
9 May 2002, 05:28 AM
Just bought mine (theatre finally posted showtimes).

9:00 am, May 16th, at the hi-quality theatre down near Albany :) :) :)

Kaziganthi
9 May 2002, 06:28 AM
Thursday 16th 8:30pm GMT
Don't have a clue what time that is anywhere else

Armage Bedar
9 May 2002, 12:55 PM
Midnight (EDT) on the 16th, of course. I've never seen a midnight showing for a Star Wars film before, and I'd like to do it at least once. I'll be camping out on the evening of the 14th, trying to attract new members to our local Star Wars fan club.

Regardless of how good the movie is, though, I'm doing it to be with my friends and have a good time. Aren't we all?

Darth Cute
9 May 2002, 01:52 PM
Naz has promised to take me on vacation to the mountains for a whole week. We booked the trip a year ago at a wonderful resort around the opening of EPII, lucky use the time changed and we couldn't change our vacation, so we are hoping to wander around the mountains of Pennsylvania until we find a theater showing it!:? Hoepfully we can find something Thursday. The resort has offered to help us, which is really nice, but I'm sure the theater will not be such as high a quality as our theater here. That's means will just have to see it again when we get back!:D

Tramp
10 May 2002, 01:18 PM
I'm going on opening night to the 7:00 showing in full Jedi regalia . :D
I could have gotten a ticket for the Midnight showing Wednesday night but I'm on a mountain bike until I can afford to get a new engine for my truck so riding around at night getting there and back is out of the question. It's bad enough I'll have to ride in the dark going home, but I my days are taken up with job hunting and such. :(

Superdog
10 May 2002, 02:09 PM
Attention: Your collective bubble (concerning seeing the movie first or really early, as early as possible) has now been burst.

Pirated copies of Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones began appearing on the Internet on Thursday, leading one expert to predict that the movie will have been seen by a million people before it opens next week. Bruce Forest, an independent media technology consultant and an expert on movie film piracy, told today's (Friday) Los Angeles Times that such widespread previewing of the movie has "never happened before." Jean Murrell Adams, who heads the litigation department at DreamWorks, told the Times: "I'm not surprised that it's on the Internet. I talk to pirates because I want to find out why they're doing this. And what I've been told is that they were eagerly anticipating who would be first to do this. It's a challenge for them." Experts interviewed by the newspaper generally agreed that the appearance of the movie on the Internet will have little effect on ticket sales, since most want to see it on the big screen. The availability of bootlegged films on the Internet, the experts agreed, hits hardest at the home video business.

I got this from imdb.com, this is either good or bad news depending on how fast your internet speed is and how good you are at tracking down pirated copies of stuff.

Reverend Strone
10 May 2002, 07:08 PM
Ah, there's no comparrison between watching a Star Wars movie on a huge letterbox format screen and squinting infront of your computer trying to watch it on such a small monitor it actually literally is like looking through a letterbox. This is no biggy in my opinion. I don't know who'd rather see it this way first. Certainly not this fanboy.

Corsair
11 May 2002, 10:39 AM
I'll just say from "people I know" the general concesus is that they would go and see it in the cinemas. Beside, the pirated copy that is being flung around on the internet is apparently "not that great quality".

It would be a waste of time downloading it.

Just go see it in the cinemas. I am. I plan on buying the DVD too. Hehe. :D

Cordova Bossk
12 May 2002, 01:42 PM
I'm bringing some buds and seeing AtoC on May 17. Conviniently on my BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! so I guess I'm behind all you guys by a long time but oh well....

hisham
12 May 2002, 07:37 PM
Got three tickets to watch at Tanjung Golden Village, Suria KLCC, Kuala Lumpur at about 11.00 am local time on May 16th!!!! That's still May 15th for you Americans! WHooo hooo!!

Dang! That Whoo hoo was so Spider-Man. I apologize.

May 16th, Baby!!!

Reverend Strone
15 May 2002, 05:37 PM
Well, it wasn't four days ahead, but it was two. my good buddy made good on his promise and squeezed me into an advance screening a couple of days back. I also went to the midnight opening here in NZ, so I've seen it twice now.

I was itching to get on here and gloat to all you folks, but for some reason the site was unaccessable for the past two days- probably just as well!

Enjoy guys.:)

hisham
15 May 2002, 06:01 PM
Wonderful Rev,

On my way out to catch it now . Movie starts in ninety minutes.

See you at the movies!

grizzly
15 May 2002, 09:56 PM
I saw the 7pm charity screening last night, and just got back from the 11am 16th May screening, so that's twice for me too!!! :)

everclear
16 May 2002, 09:42 AM
I saw it at midnight this morning. While the acting is still subpar compared to the original trilogy, I thought the special effects and story were top notch. Everything really meshed well, IMO, to make a great Star Wars movie. While it doesn't beat ESB for my favorite SW flick, it easily gains the #3 slot over RotJ, and may even beat out ANH for the #2 spot.

Excellent movie. I can't wait until this weekend when I take my little brother to see it!

MtFbwy,
Kiser

BillyBeanbag
16 May 2002, 12:41 PM
Whee! I saw it at midnight CST, and after 3 1/2 hours of sleep came to work!

There were a couple of acting issues, but not nearly enough to not make this a great movie... So many things were done properly... I can't wait to see it again!

Tramp
17 May 2002, 11:08 AM
Just saw it last night and was completely blown away! . The costumes were gorgeous (especially Padme's, Nataley Portman is sooo Hot:p ) the action was intence and the story incredible! IMO the best Star Wars movie to date. I can't wait to see the next one in three years.