PDA

View Full Version : A GM with plot problems

Mio Can Renui
20 April 2002, 04:12 PM
Well Im about to send my two players a lvl 7 jedi and his padwan a lvl 1 jedi (both gaurdians) on thier first mission, it'll be big, lightsaber vs blasters, starfighters vs pirates and the mystery of disapered ship the CMS Republic (borrowed directly from the Chaos Crew website).

But after this what should I do? Im stuck on missions for them to be sent on or even non-missions that deals with thier Jedi lives (although if I try I can do somthing with that). So I need to pull from all your brains here at the holonet. Help me Holonet, your my only hope for a good campaign . . .

CrazyNuts
20 April 2002, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm a GM myself, but from what I read of what you have planned sounds pretty open and shut. Disapearring ships can be an entire campagn in itself. I would just go for that, have the goal of the whole story to be to discover what happened and why. Just throw in a few battles to get in, a few planets to visit, and two good plot twists, one thats big enough to make the characters nearly forget the original mission and one at the end when they discover why the ship went missing (a plot twist type where players kind of shut up, sit back and just have to allow their brains to accept what just happened and how big this suddenly got at the last minute...

"It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum."
-Duke Nukem

"Jokes on you I'm an alcholic!"
-CrazyNuts

Mio Can Renui
20 April 2002, 07:19 PM
Thats a good idea but not what Im aiming for :-\

darth maim
20 April 2002, 11:00 PM
All I can say is that I really hope that the padawan has like 6 more levels in SOMETHING... otherwise you'll be writing missions for the other guy while he sits in the background playing with his lightsaber.... Poor guy.

The Admiral
22 April 2002, 02:11 PM
If I'm reading you right, you've come up with your first adventure (and it sounds like a classic Star Wars type adventure) but you're stuck as to further adventures?

There are plenty of adventures, ideas and plot hooks throughout the HoloNet, so it should be easy to find something to throw at 'em. On a more general theme of 'how to get ideas for games' though,,,

1: Pay attention to everything that happens in the first game. Players are usually excellent starts for further adventures. Almost inevitably, they turn throwaway npcs into potential major npcs, they come up with loads of theories which you can change, or borrow wholesale for other games, they ALWAYS cause enough carnage to create enough problems to throw another adventure at 'em. So pay attention, and make studious notes. If you're a new GM, I'd recommend tape recording the sessions, I've always found listening to old games very helpful, it's amazing how much stuff you end up overlooking.

2: Use the random technique. Write down a whole bunch of single words, nouns adjectives, verbs (Pirates, Asteroid, Benign, Skyscraper, Cold, Skinned, Monster, Sith, Droids, Volcano, Nebula) Make a huge amount of these (get the players to help) and when you're stuck, pick out a half dozen at random, and see what that inspires. (Looking over the random words above, I'd start thinking 'cold volcano? How's that work? Skinned pirates? A benign monster?' and from there fill the gaps in until something comes together.

3: Take something cool, and change it. You wanna run something like the speederbike chase, but make it so it's different? Fine, have them falling down a shaft criss-crossed with girders and walkways. They keep accelerating, but each time they use their rocket belts to dodge something, they slow down. So you have these PCs and NPCs having a high speed chase full of dodging, combat, cunning stunts, just like RotJ, but it's straight down. This would work very well with Jedi, imagine a lightsaber fight whilst in freefall! Now you've got a scene, you can build on that. Why are they fighting in a vertical shaft? Does the bad guy need to do something at the bottom, are they trying to escape? Where are they? Once you start asking questions, and finding answers, whole sections of adventures basically write themselves.

Mio Can Renui
22 April 2002, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the tips admiral I'll try that, and the lvl 1 Jedi is only a lvl 1 jedi but Ive warned his Master not to get too in his way, its his training he should concern himself with as his Master.

BrianDavion
23 April 2002, 01:08 PM
you have a PC playing the master?man now THAT'S a recipie for disaster.

Mio Can Renui
23 April 2002, 04:22 PM
Trust me everything between the two Jedis will be alright.

Bombaatu
23 April 2002, 08:05 PM
Have either or both of them written up backgrounds for their characters? Those will usually have some hooks.

What time period is this? I'm assuming it's not the Rebellion era, but knowing when it is would help us to help you.

Temptations of the Dark Side are always good for adventures, especially for lower level Jedi.

I have to agree with some of the others, tho - a 6-level discrepancy between the characters, and one PC is the Master of another PC, can be a recipe for disaster. You obviously know the players in question better than I, but it's been my experience that the games work best when the PCs are balanced in power.

Mio Can Renui
24 April 2002, 12:04 PM
Well I might decide to let the lvl 1 be a lvl 3.
Its in the Rise of the Empire Era.
I still need charecters to write up backgrounds.

darth maim
24 April 2002, 01:37 PM
Why not let him take some non-force levels to balance up to level 6?

Mio Can Renui
24 April 2002, 01:40 PM
No offense or anything but .. .. PUT THE PADWAN TO REST
Were straying from the topic.

darth maim
24 April 2002, 02:09 PM
Not to start arguing or anything but the padawan is right on subject as it will be nearly impossible to give a decent plot idea or adventure idea that will be both challenging and fun for characters 5 levels apart. If you make it something that will keep the master challenged and with anything to do there is a VERY good chance the padawan will die quickly or at least have no way of helping with anything.

If you gear it toward the padawan then you will either have to pull the higher level character aside and instruct him to stay in the background (thus making him a glorified NPC) or he'll cut through the enemies like warm butter and have more than enough skill ranks to accomplish nearly any task that was set up for the padawan to be useful. This would once again end up causing one of the players to be sitting around with nothing to do.

I only suggested nonforce levels for the padawan in order to keep the master / student relationship between the two but to make him equally useful and able to do things.

neo exploit
24 April 2002, 02:19 PM
It seems to me that this thread was started with good intentions but Mio you really need to be a bit more open to both ideas and criticism... the thread seems to have taken this path.

please help >> sounds good but not for me >> don't question the level difference >> shut up about the padawan and say exactly what I want to hear or don't post...

Maim has a good point about the plot ideas being scarce when looking at such across the board levels... This may be why you yourself are drawing a blank.

Just my 2 creds.

darth maim
24 April 2002, 02:28 PM
Again I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to hijack the thread or to start an argument here... I was only attempting to clarify why I had focused on the level of the padawan and to justify the suggestion of leveling the player up.

...I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Mio Can Renui
24 April 2002, 02:44 PM
point taken, like said Im debating uping the padwan to 3rd or 4th lvl, that way hes not totally useless but the Master>Padwan relationship will remain, and I plan to have some scenes that focus on just one or just the other.

darth maim
24 April 2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Mio Can Renui
point taken, like said Im debating uping the padwan to 3rd or 4th lvl, that way hes not totally useless but the Master>Padwan relationship will remain, and I plan to have some scenes that focus on just one or just the other.

Also like I said if you're worried about the master / padawan thing or just don't want him to be too strong in the force you can require he take levels in non-force classes...

Grimace
24 April 2002, 03:55 PM
Just a clarification for you guys, as this forum is new, so there may be some misconstrued ideas of what's appropriate here.

If a thread starts going to way this one appears to be going (related specifically to operations of D20) then the thread should probably be placed in the D20 Discussion forum.

Try to keep a little bit broader spectrum of things in here. Suggesting a higher level is fine, as it's an aspect of GMing, but don't let it hijack a thread the way it appears to be doing.

Just consider this a bump back on topic and a friendly reminder to everyone to try to stay away from system specific threads.

Thanks!