PDA

View Full Version : Player/GM Synergy

Talonne Hauk
22 April 2002, 02:13 PM
I had an idea that I'm planning on trying out with my group, and I thought I'd share it with all of you.
I have a group of five players, and at our next gaming session I'm going to have them throw their character's name in a hat and have each of them pull another character's name from the hat. On their own time, I'll have them create a villainous concept for the character they picked. I'll flesh out the stats myself, of course.
I thought this would be fun to try because I'm interested in seeing the game through my players eyes, and to some extent, I think this will do the trick. Plus, it may encourage them to be creative in other aspects of the game.
What do you think?

dgswensen
22 April 2002, 03:59 PM
I think that's a very cool idea. It introduces some fresh ideas, takes some of the pressure off the GM, and gives the players a feeling of power and influence. Plus, you shirk some of the work off on them... either way, you win. :)

The only thing I would be on the look-out for, is players with a grudge, putting undue obstacles in the way of other players. Moderation might be required. Also, unless everyone in the group is very good-natured, you might consider keeping everyone's ideas a secret.

Giving the players freer reign always spices things up. I've been having a lot of GM burnout lately, and this might be a good idea for me to try. Thanks for bringing this up.

Emperor Xanderich II
23 April 2002, 10:56 AM
Moving to Gamemaster Forum