PDA

View Full Version : In praise of John Williams

ij thompson
22 April 2002, 05:22 PM
This may be old news to some of you by now, but I just got the Attack of the Clones soundtrack, and... wow! I'd say this album is on a par with Johnny's best work - like Jaws, Star Wars, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. If the movie is this good, I'm gonna be one happy SW fan!

dgswensen
22 April 2002, 06:58 PM
It comes out tomorrow where I'm living -- I can't wait. I'm going to be anxious at work all day waiting to go down and grab it.

I really don't have the money to spare, but since when did that ever stop anybody? This is more important than food, blast it! It's Star Wars! :)

Talonne Hauk
22 April 2002, 08:18 PM
I can't say that John Williams is a no miss for me. I think the piece he wrote for the recent Winter Olympics was derivative and yawn-inducing. And the Harry Potter score was non-memorable.
But I think there's a reason for this; he was saving his best stuff for Star Wars! Everything I've heard about this soundtrack is that it's a masterpiece. I will be shopping for it this weekend, before my next game session.
I love Anakin's theme from Episode I. (So there's something from that movie I DO like, after all.) If you listen closely, it is the string underpinnings for The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme). John Williams said he had to go backwards and "distill" the Imperial March to get Anakin's Theme. I'm really looking forward to how he builds it for Episode II.
Life is good when you're a music geek AND a Star Wars geek.

ij thompson
23 April 2002, 07:44 AM
Yes, John hasn't been a sure thing in recent years. I even found the Phantom Menace score (with the exception of the major themes) pretty flat

And you know what's funny, Talonne? In the same way that Anakin's theme is a 'less developed' version of the Imperial March, I think you'll find that AotC's Love Theme is a distilled version of Luke's theme from the original trilogy. Kind of cool, when you look at it from the angle that Luke's theme was 'built' out of the love theme... I'll have to go and see if I can find any of Princess Leia's theme in there!

dgswensen
23 April 2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
If you listen closely, it is the string underpinnings for The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme). John Williams said he had to go backwards and "distill" the Imperial March to get Anakin's Theme. Not only that, but the "celebration" theme at the end of Episode I is a re-arrangement of the Emperor's Theme -- with children's voices instead of spooky choral intoning. Now that's foreshadowing! :)

Talonne Hauk
24 April 2002, 02:32 AM
Wow, dgswensen, that is too cool! I went back and listened to both of them, and you are so right! It chills me to the bones! This is better hype for the next two movies than any ad exec could throw at us, don't you think?

Bookmaker221
24 April 2002, 03:01 PM
Actually, the Municiple Band is an inversion of the Emperor's Theme. Different melody line, same chord structure. But I'm inherintly nitpicky.

dgswensen
24 April 2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Bookmaker221
Actually, the Municiple Band is an inversion of the Emperor's Theme. Different melody line, same chord structure. But I'm inherintly nitpicky. And, apparently, know something about music theory, which I most certainly don't. :) Thanks for clarifying.