PDA

View Full Version : The AOTC Soundtrack: Less Merchandising, Huh, Lucasfilm?

dgswensen
24 April 2002, 12:45 PM
Get your rant on...

So I just got my hot little hands on my copy of the AOTC soundtrack, and am about to listen to it, but before I do, I have a little rant I'd like to share.

I recently read <A HREF="http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020429/">here</A>, <A HREF="http://www.msnbc.com/news/741646.asp?cp1=1">here</A> and <A HREF="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/eo/20020423/en_movies_eo/lucas_offers_new_hope_with__quot_clones_quot_">here</A> about how Lucasfilm was scaling back merchandising, concentrating less on marketing junk and more on making a good movie. To which I say, terrific. No one needs Jar Jar toothpaste, and let's not pretend they do.

And here I get to the store and I find that not only is the soundtrack TWENTY BUCKS (which is about four or five dollars too many for any single CD, if you ask me), but there are also FOUR different covers for the soundtrack, with a big "Collect 'Em All!" sticker on them. Is anyone seriously going to shell out EIGHTY BUCKS to buy the same soundtrack four different times?

This also forced me to choose between covers, which fortunately wasn't a problem -- Jango Fett all the way, baby. But jeez -- I'd think "collector's" CD covers would be silly enough without the disc being twenty bucks! At that price, I can almost start to understand why people steal music instead of buying it... oh... sorry, not steal... "share."

Anyway. I'm sure all of this will be forgotten as soon as I pop this in and enjoy the blissful sound of John Williams... but I just had to stop and say... collector's soundtracks!?!?! How about some nice trading cards or Burger King glasses instead, for crying out loud? I weep for the poor completists who will feel compelled to get the whole gamut -- and probably have to buy a fifth soundtrack to actually open and listen to while they're at it.

Anyway, enough. I'm off to enjoy the soundtrack :)

ij thompson
24 April 2002, 01:13 PM
Preach on, Brotha!

I picked up the movie poster one myself, and I feel sorry for anyone who feels compelled to collect 'em all. It reminds me of those four hardcovers for TPM - sheesh!

I can say that Lucasfilm can't be blamed for the price of the cd, however. That decision lies squarely in the hands of SonyMusic. They demand top dollar from the retailers for their product, and the retailers are forced to charge high so they can make some money on the things. It must be tough to be a record label right now... "how can I squeeze out as much money as possible before the whole record retail empire collapses into ruin?" ;)

In the meantime, enjoy track 3 for me!

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
24 April 2002, 01:26 PM
4 different covers?!? Jeepers, and i hadn't even dropped by the local music store yet! Captain! change course to the nearest HMV! 8o j/k...

/rant enabled

up here in canada, cd's sell for $16.99 when first released, and over $22+ once they're stocked to the shelves afterwards... ($1.50 cdn = $1.00 U.S.) ... ugh, i'm in no rush to get the aotc soundtrack until they make the non-collectable version for cheaper as i got other things to buy more importantly with the $30 i have in my wallet, groceries comes to mind... that aint including the new RCRB and the $8.50 per theater ticket to go see the AOTC movie ...

Ya know, thats sorta like reverse thinking when they did the SW1 soundtrack - release the normal version first and the collectable enhanced edition later (with extra unheard scores of music, oh my!) ...

They flooded the market with SW1 stuff for the release... everyone got their darth maul figs right? (stupid me bought the 3 i seen on sight thinking i hit jackpot...) not very collectable if everyone got them now...

I wonder about the toy line up now...

So yeah... it seems like lucas arts is still gonna make their money anyways... fewer merchandisng thats over priced... It just ain't fair is it? what happened to balance? What happened to the early 80's merchandising??? those were the good times!

So, I wonder what it'll be like for SW3 ... wait on that... I really don't wanna know...

/rant off

darth maim
24 April 2002, 01:59 PM
ok so I'm one of those poor completionist suckers who if I buy one thing in a set MUST have the rest.... I'm at least a little better about it with Starwars than I am with Spiderman... (thank god since they're back to back [read I'm going to be REALLY REALLY broke for a while])

I saw the covers and allready knew I'd end up with all of them...

So if anyone wants to donate money to keeping me alive after all the merchandise hits I'm definately not gonna say no :D

Grimace
24 April 2002, 04:09 PM
Moving to Rants and Raves

dgswensen
24 April 2002, 07:51 PM
Eh... sorry about that. I would have posted it in Rants & Raves initially, but the forum description for R&R says to make sure it's relevant to the SW-RPG. I wasn't sure a spew of righteous indignation about the Episode II soundtrack qualified. :)

Iris
25 April 2002, 04:12 AM
I have to agree, 4 soundtrack covers is WAY over the top especially since you know that within 6 months they will release the "special edition" soundtrack that has ALL the music on it in a 2 disk set.

I managed to get a copy of the soundtrack (the Anakin/Padme cover) at Media Play for $15.00. They also had the novel for 45% off (roughly $14.50).

Honestly, I have no intention of going crazy with the merchandise. 1 - I have no room for it in my house and 2 - at 32 years of age, I have better things to spend my money on... like RPG Supplements. ;)

Nazgul
25 April 2002, 04:32 AM
Target has the CD for $13.99 complete with bonus track.

I'm happy to see they scaled back on their merchandizing. I've already gotten a bunch of the stuff and it looks like the quality is alot higher. Only missing 3 figures (well ones that I want to get, :))...

Mythtify
25 April 2002, 11:01 AM
Personaly, I am waiting to pick up the sound track.
They (sony muxic) realy ticked me off last time around. They released the one disc Phantom Mence Cd, then a year later, release the 2 cd ultimate edtion.

Well, I am not going to get shafted again. I am going to wait until they put out the 2 cd set, which we all know is coming.

Talonne Hauk
25 April 2002, 02:07 PM
Dgswensen, I must say you got shafted on the price. I went to my local Super-dee-Duper KMart and got my soundtrack for about $14 and change, all told. But it sure sounds great!

dgswensen
25 April 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
Dgswensen, I must say you got shafted on the price. I went to my local Super-dee-Duper KMart and got my soundtrack for about $14 and change, all told. But it sure sounds great!

Sigh... now you tell me :)

Actually, it's okay. I bought it from a local retailer instead of a huge chain, which I try to do even when the price isn't necessarily right. I don't mind paying a little extra if it helps keep the little guy in business. Besides, I got a store credit from their bonus program, so it actually only cost me eleven bucks. I, uh, would have mentioned that before, but it would have undermined my rant :)

Bombaatu
25 April 2002, 10:27 PM
I got mine at Hastings for $12 + tax, and I must say it's GREAT - John Williams really brought his "A-game" to this one. One minor jarring note is the electric guitar in track 3, but other than that it's fantastic. The end of track 13 (Finale) left me with chills - the love theme played more mournful than anywhere else, with Vader's Theme played in string base at the ending of it.... *DA-AMN*

Talonne Hauk
26 April 2002, 06:29 PM
The electric guitar was somewhat jarring to me, too. But I'm waiting to see how it'll fit into the movie. The end credits were sadly ominous. Almost as sad as someone plunking cash down for four soundtracks of the same music. :rolleyes:

VixenofVenus
30 April 2002, 01:39 PM
Ouch ... dgswensen you got ripped off! I've been to two stores in the last week and both of them were selling it in the $14-16 range.

I would have paid $20 bucks for my copy though ... it is the first CD I've bought since Ep1 soundtrack. I have listened to it over 10 times through though and listened to Across the Stars and Track 3 (can't remember the god-awfully long title .. but it has something to do with Zam Weesel and a Chase) ... but it is GREAT.

So far, Williams has shown off his ability to put together some great modern orchestral music. The electric guitar is one thing (although I would have loved to have more than a collective 6-8 seconds of it), but he also used a Harpsichord in the final track during the Across the Stars music in the Credits.

I can definitely say the soundtrack got me hyped ... I can't wait for the movie now ... I had said that before, but now I actually feel it.

As for the comercialization ... I can understand some merchandizing ... thats how Lucas can AFFORD to stay on top of the technical side of the movie industry ... ILM, THX, and all those other technical companies under LucasFilm don't actually provide Lucas profit ... he dumps money into them like crazy from this new Trilogy's proceeds. Thats why ILM and THX are litterally FORCING the industry to make computer animation look so dang good in movies.

Spiderman cost over $50 million more than they budgeted for it because they had to redo some of the special effects because of feedback from viewers of the first trailer who thought the computer special effects looked 'cheesy'. If you go find that original teaser trailer (the one with the twin tower ending) and compare it to the TV spots that are running this week you will see a TREMENDOUS difference in the quality of the special effects ... thats because movie fans expect to see superb movie effects in every new movie. We can thank Lucas and ILM for that. Same with sound and THX.

So ... I don't mind the 4 CD covers, I bought the Yoda cover, as did my semi-collector friend, who plans on buying another of the Poster-cover CD's later this summer.

Reverend Strone
30 April 2002, 05:53 PM
Well down in NZ we're getting shafted $60 for this thing if the advertising is correct (it hasn't shown up yet). Considering CDs usually retail here for $35 that's royally wrong. Even double CD sets are rarely over $55 down here.

Our dollar is worth around 42c US, but even taking that into account, we're getting screwed.:(

Lokar
30 April 2002, 08:53 PM
I paid $13 for mine. :D Tracks 10 and 13 are the best in my humble opnion, though track 2 is good too. It's a bit odd to hear the 'Love Theme' in the commercals where they show Obi-Wan fighting Jago Fett and Palpatine declaring the creation of the GAoR however. :raised:

FallenAngel
30 April 2002, 09:15 PM
he he he... who ever needed those four blasted hardback covers when the cool one was the cheaper darth maul paperback?

grizzly
4 May 2002, 01:50 AM
Yikes Rev I was gonna whine about the AUD30 price tag, but NZD60???? yeouch!!! Oz is still running about 53c US atm,and 1.20 NZD, have you thought about an import from NSW? It might be cheaper even after postage!

Sithspawn
4 May 2002, 06:15 AM
Four CD covers is pathetic marketing, and I feel I 'm being rather reserved in that statement.

But it's not just the CDs, is Star Wars marketing all over. My local collectors shop has been supporting Star Wars all year, whereas the big boys only stock up at peak marketing times like the release of the movie. So guess what, Mr.Loyalty has to wait in line for the latest toys while the big boys get first pick!!!

VixenofVenus
4 May 2002, 12:45 PM
On a related note ... my friend and I went and saw Spider-Man ... which is fairly good (should make over $250 million, but in my estimation, Episode 2 will make over $450 million, breaking Ep1's record).

Anyway, we noticed in by about half way through that there was ton's of product placement in the film ... and then a scene in Times Square came in, and no matter what the camera was supposed to be focusing on ... those damn ads on the buildings were always crystal clear ... not that I am complaining ... Product placement provides movie makers with money which can make the movies better ... although I would Say Spider-Man had TOO much product placement.

So about this time, my friend leans over and says, "Geez ... all this damn product placement ... it will be nice that Star Wars won't have any, kinda refreshing."

And then I started laughing out loud while Mary Jane was almost falling from 20 or 30 stories up and said to him, "Star Wars IS a PRODUCT PLACEMENT!!" and we were cracking up while everyone else in the theater was trying to watch this suspensful action sequence and giving us wierd looks.

But for the most part ... Star Wars is COMERCIALIZED because WE WANT IT TO BE comercialized! There are those of us out there from ages 4-60 who want Star Wars pens, posters, books, comics, toys, etc .... we want all that crap ... some of us want ALL of it, and some of us just think ... "Ah ... I'll see the movie a couple times, maybe buy a poster or something, and then I'll buy the movie when it comes out on VHS/DVD."

But even releasing the movie on VHS/DVD is comercialization ... so I don't complain ... I love it!

Lokar
4 May 2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by VixenofVenus
On a related note ... my friend and I went and saw Spider-Man ... which is fairly good (should make over $250 million, but in my estimation, Episode 2 will make over $450 million, breaking Ep1's record).

Anyway, we noticed in by about half way through that there was ton's of product placement in the film ... and then a scene in Times Square came in, and no matter what the camera was supposed to be focusing on ... those damn ads on the buildings were always crystal clear ... not that I am complaining ... Product placement provides movie makers with money which can make the movies better ... although I would Say Spider-Man had TOO much product placement.

So about this time, my friend leans over and says, "Geez ... all this damn product placement ... it will be nice that Star Wars won't have any, kinda refreshing."

And then I started laughing out loud while Mary Jane was almost falling from 20 or 30 stories up and said to him, "Star Wars IS a PRODUCT PLACEMENT!!" and we were cracking up while everyone else in the theater was trying to watch this suspensful action sequence and giving us wierd looks.

But for the most part ... Star Wars is COMERCIALIZED because WE WANT IT TO BE comercialized! There are those of us out there from ages 4-60 who want Star Wars pens, posters, books, comics, toys, etc .... we want all that crap ... some of us want ALL of it, and some of us just think ... "Ah ... I'll see the movie a couple times, maybe buy a poster or something, and then I'll buy the movie when it comes out on VHS/DVD."

But even releasing the movie on VHS/DVD is comercialization ... so I don't complain ... I love it!

Let us not forget video games, and roleplaying games...:D

darth maim
4 May 2002, 02:25 PM
As far as the Spiderman vs. EPII gross is concerned I'd have to say that Spiderman may actually beat out EPII... I say this because it was very well done (the best comic movie to date) and I've never met anyone who didn't either really like Spiderman or get all nostalgic about it... I've met plenty of people who dislike Starwars... Also generally the people who will go see starwars will also probably catch spiderman as well.

darth maim
4 May 2002, 02:27 PM
Also as far as the product placement in Spiderman is concerned remember that a lot of it is due to the fact that New York itself is full of product placement and advertising... it wasn't 100% due to movie making greed. Starwars doesn't have this problem as the locations are supposed to be other planets and thus wouldn't have a big cup of noodles sign on a buildingside billboard.

grizzly
4 May 2002, 10:44 PM
There was an article in one of the local papers down under, that said some of the Times Square billboard owners/advertisers weren't happy, due to the fact that the advertising had been CG altered. Can anyone from NY who has seen the film confirm this?

Reverend Strone
5 May 2002, 12:57 PM
Yikes Rev I was gonna whine about the AUD30 price tag, but NZD60???? yeouch!!! Oz is still running about 53c US atm,and 1.20 NZD, have you thought about an import from NSW? It might be cheaper even after postage!

Interestingly enough, despite being advertised at $60, the CD has now appeared at a more reasonable $34.95, the standard price for a CD, so perhaps that was some kind of typo? Good thing I didn't advance-purchase it at that price like we were being advised to by the store.

darth maim
5 May 2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by VixenofVenus

Just a bit of interesting news that sort of relates to this...

Spiderman had the biggest opening ever with an estimated $114 million, the fastest film to reach the $100 million mark, the highest per-theater average, the biggest one-day total for a film...

I can easily see this beating EPII in the box office as it made half of your projected earnings in 3 days destroying many records in it's path...

Also, it hasn't opened in Japan (it does so next saturday) which is the second largest market for movies.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
16 May 2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen
And here I get to the store and I find that not only is the soundtrack TWENTY BUCKS (which is about four or five dollars too many for any single CD, if you ask me), but there are also FOUR different covers for the soundtrack, with a big "Collect 'Em All!" sticker on them. Is anyone seriously going to shell out EIGHTY BUCKS to buy the same soundtrack four different times?

Actually that would be at LEAST 6 times. The Walmart exclusive version has a screensaver included, and the Target exclusive version has a bonus track.

Of course, figure that a hard core collector has to get all 4 covers of each version - that's 12 versions of the soundtrack.

Of course, I wont mention the Deluxe extended 2 disc version that you KNOW is coming soon.

Oh well - that's what we've got file sharing for. . . . .

Dark72Jedi
21 May 2002, 04:06 PM
I think it was because of Lucas and the original Star Wars that every movie that comes out seems to have a line of toys, glasses, beach towels, bed sheets, shampoo, bubble bath, etc. I mean its crazy and a little frustrating.