PDA

View Full Version : Designing the Super (long)

Armadious
24 April 2002, 03:42 PM
This is my attempt at explaining the Super/Executor question - I have had this on paper for 8 months but have had no time to put it to computer. When I saw Ash's I was a bit miffed ( :D ) that someone had gotten to it before me but decided to put this up anyway.

Sometime within the month I will also be posting the system of current residense of the Super as well as some more of the experemental vessels the team has created.

The first part of this a a short fiction, next is a breifing by Voren Na'al, and lastly: stats for the Super and Executor as well as capsules with some more explaining.

Anyway enjoy and please leave comments.

Design chief Captian Creigger walked swiftly into docking bay 163, whoever it was that was landing had an enormously high level of clearance. He would have a class 2 if not 1 priority rating to get this far into the military research and design sector of Kuat System. Creigger knew this for a friend of his, Admiral Ozzel, had a class 3 and he had been turned back when he had attempted to visit. He begun to run through the list that he know of, high inquisitors, advisors, fleet admirals, sector moffs, and Darth Vader all had that sort of clearance, normally no-one less then admiral would even be considered for a clearance that high unless they worked directly for R&D.

Then again, he did not know anyone of such prestigious status that would be arriving in one of the older Kappa class shuttles. Most flew Tyderium shuttles or some other new design. So this would probably be some Outer Rim Admiral come to check his pet project. As the ship started its landing cycle he turned to Lieutenant Crannor, head of docking bays 144-288 and asked, "Did they transmit who their passenger was?"

"No sir," the smaller man replied, "they did, however have clearance directly from the Emperor."

"Blast! From the Emperor himself?" Cerigger grimaced and ran his hand through his blond hair. The ship settled down and its ramp lowered, vapor billowed up away from the vessel as components of the fluidic systems met the heated air of the shuttle bay. A tall broad-shouldered man dressed in a solid black uniform of older Imperial cut descended the ramp. Creigger recognized him instantly as the man who championed new smaller capital ship designs, much in the way that Admiral Zarin did starfighters.

"Admiral Kaine, this is an unexpected honor." Cerigger got out before Armadious Kaine raised his hand and shook his head slightly.

With a half smile Armadious replied, "Hold the pleasantries Captain, I am here to put this project back on schedule, and add in a few details to the design."

"Additions sir?" asked Cerigger. This was his project, his road to fame, all he had to do was expose who had added the experimental engines to the design: Lira Wessex. Then it would be his turn to reap the benefits of a favored designer, and no one was going to take that from him with out a fight. But he did not have all the evidence he needed so he had to be patient for now. He gestured Armadious to enter first into the design station.

"There is only one major change, the rest are minor," Armadious replied, "all are to be made specifically to Vader's flagship and not to any other. The Emperor thought to have me add them since Kuat is already 4 months late, not to mention the loss of the prototype. No use rushing out another ten-billion credit failure."

Cerigger winced, "There was no way for me to know that the hyperdrive would create a unbalance in the ION engines upon exiting hyperspace. I did not know they were to be the experimental model until after they were added."

Armadious shook his head silently. "The Emperor already knows who added them to the design, Wessex will be punished in due time. Besides the Super was not a total loss. I can still use half of it, though the refitting process will be rather expensive." The question that had been floating in the back of his mind since he heard of the project a month ago finally came out. "Why did you name her the Super?"

"I was shocked when I was told to name it. I am a engineer not a holovid star, creative language does not come naturally to me." Cerigger replied somewhat sourly.

Armadious waited in silence as they rode the turbolift deeper into the station. Finally, Cerigger continued in a truly embarrassed tone. "It's bigger then a Imperial Star Destroyer... So it is super in comparison."

A little shocked at this total lack of creativity, Armadious replied, "Oh..." He thought for a moment but continued when the turbolift stopped. "How many more of these vessels are you producing?"

"A total of four were ordered. The Super was the only completed vessel, the next in line has another 8 months to go. After the Supers drive failure we switched to more standard model ION engines, the experimental ones were sent to Black Fleet for more testing."

They passed by a pair of TR-5 security droids and entered the outer holographic design room. Men women and even some aliens were busy at work around various stations working on everything from improving the Imperial Class Star Destroyer, to what looked like modifications to a Firespray Attack Craft called Slave 1. "I know," Armadious replied as they passed by even more security droids, reinforced blast doors and automatic turrets. "But that is not currently important, why don't we discuss the changes to Vader's flagship. I am assuming that you intended to use the next to be completed for that purpose?"

"Yes sir," Cerigger replied. "The Lusankya."

Armadious was silent for several moments as the Athakam/RMSA Bioscan sensors flicked over both of them. Silent not because he had to be but rather he was thinking of his conversation with the Emperor a week prior. The Emperor had called Darth Vader his "most trusted and capable servant." Still thinking he murmured allowed, "His Executor."

"Sir?" Cerigger asked.

Realizing that he had spoken aloud Armadious replied, "Lusankya no longer, She will be called the Executor. In addition to the renaming of this vessel you will gather the necessary designers and create a vessel at least twice the size of these current flagships using the same general shape. You and your designers are being transferred to KDY's facilities over Fondor. This vessel is to be designed and completed by the time the testing of the Lusankya has been concluded. No one may know of this project." Armadious reached into his pocket, pulled out a datapad and handed it to Cerigger. "Here is a list of the other changes that will be implemented, along with a private frequency you are to contact the Emperor with when you reach Fondor. This vessel shall also be named the Executor. She will be remembered as the same class, with the same capabilities as any other Super Star Destroyer."

"Just what exactly are you trying to pull here..?" Cerigger started angrily.

Armadious shook his head, "Julius I am not pulling anything, just remember to contact the Emperor when you reach Fondor."

Twenty years later, Voren Na'al released this report:

The discovery of the Gnisnal led to several very important findings including missing fleets and data on where Imperial officers are. Even more importantly (at least to my self), this discovery led to more avenues of historical research concerning the Imperial Navy, and the inner workings of the Empire itself. We also found the private thoughts of many of the crew, including one Commodore Creigger, the commander of the Gnisnal and one of the instrumental designers of the Executor.

As many of you know, during the battles of Hoth, Endor, Gregory 1, the Vergesso asteroids, as well as many other smaller engagements visual sightings of the Executor placed her much larger then any of the other known flagships of the same class. An estimation from the visual images from Endor placed the Executor at somewhere between 17 and 18 kilometers.

Scans taken during the battle of Endor and the Alliances flight from Hoth point in the opposite direction. They point to the official data that was released by the Empire, that the Executor was like any other 'Super Star destroyer' in terms of length, arms and armor. The confusion, and ensuring debate between historians has been between official data and Alliance scans verses visual data from various sources.

Data from the Gnisnal contained the first personal accounts that the Executor was in fact a different class of vessel. The commanding officer, Commodore Julius Creigger, maintained a private journal, dating back to before the battle of Yavin. This was a truly remarkable find, containing the life a a Imperial officer during the height of the Empire, and mentioning numerous projects, some of which we knew nothing about. Unfortunately the journal did not have any technical specifications, it did not even elaborate to what degree the difference was. It did however contain a list of seven different people who would know the changes. Of the seven, four are dead, one is missing and presumed dead. Of the last two, one is located in a safe New Republic safe house, he was driven quite mad with the death of the Emperor, and speaks nothing but gibberish. The last, Armadious Kaine, leads a sector of space that is in a state of conflict with the New Republic.

I traveled to the Raccadi Sector to speak with him directly, after several misadventures with the privateers' surrounding that sector (that are hired to prey on NR shipping). I managed to arrange a interview with Admiral Kaine on the sectors Vader class station, Craftsman. This interview was allowed as long as it "would be used for its historical value only." Secondly, I was not to record any visual data on his military at the time of the interview, I was only to use information provided by members of the Raccadi military. Finally I was not to release this report for five years.

After I agreed to these terms, Admiral Kaine was vary cooperative, though he refused to elaborate on several issues. These issues included the current location of the Super (though he stated that it was under his control and gave its current capabilities) and what sort of technology went into masking a vessels true abilities from modern sensors.
          However, it has only been two years since the interview, the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant have arranged a treaty, and negotiations are under way for a similar treaty to extend to the Raccadi Sector. With the permission of Admiral Kaine I present this briefing to the members of the New Republic Defense Council so that they might better understand what a miracle it was to defeat the Executor at the battle of Endor.

The Executor

For years it has been believed that Darth Vader's flagship, the Executor was the first of her class to be built and that she had the same capabilities, and size as any other vessel of that class to be built. Both of these ideas are true to a degree, but very false to a larger one.

The Executor was the second ship in a series of command ships to be built by Kuat Drive Yards, but it was the first and only vessel of its size constructed. (Even its sister ship, the Lusankya which finished construction at the same time was only of the 8km variety.) Its true size and capabilities were hidden from the public, and almost all of the Imperial military for years. She was hidden, first by order of the Emperor, then Darth Vader, and most recently by a simple lack of desire to further discuss the subject. Aiding in this endeavor was some form of sensor tricking system. According to Admiral Kaine this system had the ability to make a vessel appear anywhere form twenty-five to two hundred percent of its actual size.

The Executor was designed to carry 6 wings of Imperial fighters (36 squads). Numerous supply craft were also carried, from supply shuttles to landing barges, though many of these craft were primarily for transporting the planetary assault vehicles, and personnel.

When discussing Lord Vaders flagship, two landing bays should be of special note. The first was a landing bay hidden behind movable hull plating. This bay was located adjacent to Vaders private quarters on the command deck. Four TIE fighters as well as two shuttles could land and be serviced in this bay. Many of the Noghri who served Darth Vader, including Ekhrikhor of clan Bakh'tor claim that this was the only bay that they were allowed to use when receiving orders from Lord Vader.

The second bay was more visible yet far more secure. It was known that this bay was reserved for the Emperor's private yacht. Rumor place spare parts for all its systems in this bay, including a working cloaking device.

The Executor
Craft: Kuat Drive Yards' Executor-class Star Destroyer
Type: Unique Star Destroyer
Scale: Capital
Length: Between 17,000 and 18,000 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Executor Star Destroyer
Crew: 412,920, gunners: 3,800, skeleton: 120,000/+10
Crew Skill: Astrogation 5D, capital ship gunnery 6D, capital ship piloting 6D+2, capital ship sheilds 5D+2, sensors 5D
Passengers: 103,680 (troops), 6,561 (prisoners)
Cargo Capacity: 1,250,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 years
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes
Space: 4.5
Hull: 15D
Shields: 10D
Sensors:
          Passive: 175/1D+2
          Scan: 350/3D+2
          Search: 600/5D
          Focus: 10/6D+2
Weapons:
750 Turbolaser Batteries
          Fire Arc: 375 front/left, 375 front/right
          Crew: 2
          Skill: Capital ship gunnery
          Fire Control: 1D
          Space Range: 3-15/35/75
          Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
          Damage: 7D
600 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries
          Fire Arc: 250 front/left, 250 front/right, 100 back
          Crew: 3
          Space Range: 5-20/40/60
          Atmosphere Range: 10-20/80/120 km
          Damage: 10D
250 Concussion Missile Tubes
          Fire Arc: 100 front/left, 100 front/right, 50 back
          Crew: 1
          Fire Control: 2D
          Space Range: 2-5/30/60
          Atmosphere Range: 4-24/60/120 km
          Damage: 9D
600 Ion Cannons
          Fire Arc: 250 front/left, 250 front/right, 100 back
          Fire Control: 4D
          Space Range: 1-10/25/50
          Atmosphere Range: 2-50/50/100 km
          Damage: 4D
80 Tractor Beam Projectors
          Fire Arc: 40 front, 20 left, 20 right
          Crew: 5
          Space Range: 1-5/15/30
          Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km

Starfighter Complement:

288 TIE/ln Fighters
144 TIE Interceptors
144 TIE Bombers
Numerous shuttles and landing craft

Ground Vehicle Complement:

40 AT-ATs
60 AT-STs
10 prefabricated garrison bases

The Super

In its current incarnation the first Super Star Destroyer, could not even reasonably be called a combat anything, much less a Command ship capable of reducing a planet to slag in the amount of time it takes its commander to have his afternoon cup of tea.

The Super was to be Lord Vader's flagship before the battle of Yavin, unfortunately the experimental ION engines installed when combined with the massive Hyperdrive engines created a backlash when the Super reverted to real space. This destroyed the rear half of the vessel, creating a series of jagged extensions and crippling the power systems of the vessel. When the rest of the wrecked vessel was found a month later the entire skeleton crew was dead. Instead of scrapping the ship it was determined that the remainder was salvageable. Power was restored to the backup bridge, several ION engines from scrapped dreadnoughts were installed, and finally an excess backup hyperdrive from a Torpedo Sphere. All this was used to transport the remainder of the vessel to the Raccadi sector where it was made habitable and converted from combat ship to research platform. Over the years a majority of the remaining weapons have been stripped off. The shield generators and sensors have been upgraded extensively and an experimental "Super Turbolaser" has been installed, though besides is original test firing it has never been used.

For its protection the Super relies on its hidden location and the vessels that have been left for its defense. For it would not be capable of repelling most fleets sent by the New Republic or even larger pirate gangs.

The Super
Craft: Modified Kuat Drive Yards Super Star Destroyer
Type: Quasi Space Station
Scale: Capital
Length: 4,467 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Super Star Destroyer
Crew: 10,734, Gunners: 279
Passengers: 20,000, mostly designers and technicians
Cargo Capacity: 300,000 metric tons
Consumables: 12 years
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: -2D
Space: .2
Hull: 6D
Shields: 12D (8D backup)
Sensors:
          Passive: 250/1D+2
          Scan: 500/3D+2
          Search: 1000/5D
          Focus: 20/6D+2
Weapons:
1 Experimental Super Turbolaser Cannon *
          Fire Arc: Back/top
          Crew: 29
          Fire Control: -2D-1
          Space Range: 15-35/75/150
          Damage: 14D/12D/10D **
43 Turbolaser Batteries
          Fire Arc: 25 front/left, 25 front/right
          Crew: 2
          Fire Control: 1D
          Space Range: 3-15/35/75
          Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
          Damage: 7D
54 Ion Cannons
          Fire Arc: 25 front/left, 25 front/right
          Space Range: 1-10/25/50
          Atmosphere Range: 2-50/50/100 km
          Damage: 4D
22 Tractor Beam Emplacements
          Fire Arc: 10 front, 5 left, 5 right
          Crew: 5
          Space Range: 1-5/15/30
          Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km

Starfighter compliment
Up to 100 vessels smaller then 50 m

* The Super Turbolaser is a recent invention by the Super design team, essentially it is an overlarge turbolaser, that needs time to be charged.

** As the range increases the potency of the blast decreases.

wolverine
24 April 2002, 09:56 PM
Interesting, and very well wrote..

Armadious
28 April 2002, 07:56 AM
Glad you enjoyed it Wolverine, about eight months ago when I decided to do this (before trying to tackle full time at OSU and working 36 hours a week - bad idea) I decided I would tell it from my POV and tell it in as complete manner as I could. Hopefully it either gives people ideas...