PDA

View Full Version : A Massive RPG Needs Many GMs

darth_insidioius
27 April 2002, 08:55 PM
:D I've had an idea for a while now. I would like to get together with some other gamemasters to develop a message board based massive RPG. Like lots of people, not too many, but lots. So each can go on their own adventures, and GMs could check messages every day and determine the player's rolls. I'd like to get together with anyone interested and discuss this further.

Master_thorin
29 April 2002, 02:22 PM
Hey good Idea I would suggest EZboard I happen to like it and it is easy to set up too.

darth_insidioius
12 May 2002, 02:46 PM
Hi. Would anyone else be interested? How about you Thorin? I plan on using Ezboard, i have a few players already.

So-Var Leet
12 May 2002, 03:06 PM
I'd be interested in being a player...

darth_insidioius
12 May 2002, 06:28 PM
Great! I've still got some work to do on it, and I'll have a site and message board up running soon. I could also use any GM's if someone out there would like to help. And D6-to-d20 conversions.

So-Var Leet
12 May 2002, 06:48 PM
D6 to D20 is easy - you post on the D6 message board.

Master_thorin
13 May 2002, 04:52 PM
Yup Give me the ADDY and I will poke around and look at stuff snd even post some plot hooks.

darth_insidioius
13 May 2002, 05:18 PM
Ok ill send the link when i am done with everything. ANyone else interested?

Matt Richard
13 May 2002, 06:26 PM
I will join if you give me further info. As i understand it, you want a lot of GMs to help you run a big adventure run in both d6 and d20. Well, it seems to me that you need two sections, maybe even two message boards, for d6 and d20. Have separate GMs for both (or for people who would be willing to run both), then go from there. If i could get more info, id be willing to help.

wolverine
15 May 2002, 02:55 AM
Count me in got either player or gm post..

Andrw
17 May 2002, 07:29 PM
Id like to try this as a player.

darth_insidioius
17 May 2002, 07:52 PM
Ok. I've got the board! Now ill make a site with all the official rules and guidelines, and then characters can be made! I've got lots of stuff going on right now, so I'll most likely be doing stuff later on at night.
Some clarification: It wont be both d6 and d20. Its d20, by saying I'd appreciate d6 conversions, I meant if you found something you thought would be useful to the RPG, please convert from d6 to d20 and send it to me!

Master_thorin
21 May 2002, 04:13 PM
As soon as you are ready I will be there.

Jaggard
21 May 2002, 08:44 PM
so how'd you do this? Each GM get's a planetary system and knows what's happening there and GMs co-ordinate inter system situations? Each GM has the events of his system and it past all worked out so they are ready for situations>

Matt Richard
21 May 2002, 09:08 PM
Ill be a gm if you will. Matt Richard at your service, also, Im open to do any conversions you may need.

wolverine
22 May 2002, 03:10 AM
Don't do d20, unfortunatly, so i wil have to take a sideline.,...

Ulic Kan
26 May 2002, 11:46 PM
I would like to take part if there is still room. I would like to start as a player possibly to move to GM after some time, as I have been out of the SWRP world for a while.

Empireof1
28 May 2002, 05:56 AM
Difficulties with a message-board based RPG are as follows.

Too Free Form: You will have difficulties with deciding actions, thus making it a Star Wars SIM, which is not true role-play.

No Dice: You can't use dice on a message board, and you will always find those little "kiddies" who love to cheat at ANYTHING.

No Structure: It is inevitable. You can, and will, have people who post non-RPG specific material and topics to the page.

In short, keep it to an IRC chat room. At least you can get bots to roll dice.

So-Var Leet
28 May 2002, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately, the current configuration for my firewall (which I cannot change) does not allow me to do things in IRC.

Empireof1
29 May 2002, 05:32 AM
College or government firewall? I have workarounds...I think.....

darth_insidioius
11 June 2002, 07:29 PM
Alas, i was grounded once again! For a month! Well, im out of school, and im gonna be working on the site now. Im gonna get everything in order.

Heres a better explanation. There will be many GMs, around 10-15. The GMs will not control any planets, but will simply look at any new posts and see if a die roll needs to be made. If there is, the GM will do the roll, post the results, and move on to the next roll until finished.

More on the playing side, every character has the potential and chance to become as powerful as Emperor Palpatine himself. But they must follow the rules, and rest assured, it will be difficult to reach that level. I will not allow Sith, however, new Dark Side or Light Side sects can arise. THus, players can usher in their own empires.

The possibilities are limitless.

darth_insidioius
11 June 2002, 07:32 PM
ANd, if anyone interested is on, join the IRC server irc.starwars-irc.net and channel #Holonet
Ill be there

darth_insidioius
11 June 2002, 07:37 PM
Ahem. Empireof1, too free form? No. I have a little invention, called a "rule".

GMs will roll. THey better not be kiddie, or we'll see if they can cheat death.

I will have a free chat board.

Trust me, I can make a solution for every problem.

darth_insidioius
11 June 2002, 07:40 PM
To all, there is plenty of room still. When i said massive rpg, i meant MASSIVE! Yes, it may get hard when you have tons of people, but ill just add more GMs until order is present.

darth_insidioius
11 June 2002, 07:41 PM
ok, can anyone do a nice website for me? Ill type the content, and someone else can make the site ;p Also, anyone good with graphics? I need some cool pictures for the site. Anything star wars related.

Empireof1
12 June 2002, 07:05 AM
I still say that it is too free-form. Use OpenRPG, like I am. The players can make their own dice rolls.

Matt Richard
21 June 2002, 10:33 PM
well i signed on as a gm, and so far i like the way you have set up the rules. i would normally help with the site creation, but i have too much, yet i can help with rules if you need, because i am one of the biggest critics and pessimists in the world, so if one of your rules stink, ill be sure to tell you.

812v8nlg
26 June 2002, 10:45 AM
OpenRPG.com is the best way to play online.

Why not have separate groups of 4 players each and run everyting consistantly between the GM's, characters could swap groups etc, and all the seperate groups could be intermingled into one massive campaign story, involving major characters from the films.

GM Meck
26 June 2002, 12:56 PM
darth_insidious I can design the website for you and I have a huge folder of different 3d Star Wars pics. I have Dreamweaver, a web publishing program, but if it is alright with you I would basically be using geocities as a server. also I would like to be one of ur GMs, I have GMed for about 2 years now but i never got many players becuz i'm not that great at advertising. anyway, if u can use me tell me...

GM Meck
26 June 2002, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah i forgot...is this gonna be D6 or d20? cuz if it's d20, i'm pretty useless as a GM. I only know D6 rules...oh well.

812v8nlg
27 June 2002, 12:07 AM
I only know d20 but I could have a PC in D6 quite easily,
but I prefer D20

Odd_Bloke
29 June 2002, 12:09 PM
I'm quite new to GMing but I wouldn't have a problem being one. I would prefer to start off as a player though.