PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the PCs to cooperate ?

Alun
28 April 2002, 07:57 AM
Well as GMs I am sure you all know of this problem.

Sometimes you plan a big campaign or even a small adventurem its all ready and you are psyched.

One small problem.

The PCs don't swallow the bait.:?

They decide the worm (no offense Dr. Worm) doesn't look inviting enough and goes of on their own tangent to chase some STs around or try to make some loot.

What do you do when the PCs deviate away from your campaign ?

And what kind of bait do you use ?

(all this is of course not really a problem with a truely Good group, all you have to say is evil and hurt the innocent and you will be famous and they are off :)

The Admiral
28 April 2002, 08:32 AM
Your main mistake here is running a game which is contrary to what the players wish to do. If all they want to do is hack slash thieve and loot, then that's what they'll do regardless of whatever carrots you throw 'em.

Very important, always run the game closest to what your players want; you're all there to have fun, and if they don't have fun, they'll stop turning up. You get six guys inc the GM, and the five players want to play Jedi, and the GM wants tramp freighters, then the GM's going to find himself not very popular, or he'll end up with a Tramp Freighter crew trying to be Jedi.

Things that can help; Put constraints of the personalities and drives of characters at the point of creation. Tell your players you want them to be the kind of people who do X in Y situation.

Start In Media Res. If they're not likely to want to go to an asteroid belt to rescue the Duinogwin eggs, start the adventure with them pinned down by mercenaries, behind a stack of crates with Duinogwin eggs in their packs. You can do just as many good adventures about how they get out of the creek as you can getting up it in the first place.

Alun
28 April 2002, 08:37 AM
I am sorry, i must have been misunderstood.

What i mean is that on the overall the players play a campaign suited for them, but some times a "mission" or adventure will come up where they don't "see" the hook or that they just don't take it cause.

(personally I only have 1 player and he does pretty much what i want him to, cause I allow him to do what he wants to do).

I am talking more generally, just trying to see if people have had the same expiriences as me (back when i ran a group) with adventure hooks being too subtle or just not something the players want. Sometimes it doesn't help bainting them with 25,000 Creds, they have become to wealthy or uninterested in money, or might try to demand 500,000 cause they feel thats what they are worth. etc etc

mrobviousjosh
28 April 2002, 09:54 AM
I think that you hit the nail on the head everytime when you just figure out what the players want. If their characters are after adventure and danger, use that as the bait. The same goes for credits, respect and power, fame, or just cool storyline. I've used a million different things and the successful recipe stays the same. It's all about supply and demand. Sometimes you do have to force the players to do stuff. For instance, the ship is dangerously low in fuel, no one else around, and they need to refuel. How'd they get that low in fuel w/o anyone noticing. Malfunctioning systems are just one of many possible explanations. The point is you've changed their priorities. How are they getting rich, or famous, or adventure if they're floating in space. They have to refuel and that's when you decide where and how. Do they have to steal it or buy it from a refuelling depot? Is there an ambush set up for them? You see, it's just a matter of figuring out what's needed for cooperation. If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me. Otherwise, may the force be with you.

BrianDavion
28 April 2002, 10:16 AM
if financiall gain doesn't work, duress works wonders.
maybe joe has to go to endor to get the rare chalka plant which is the only thing that can save his poor little sister from dieing of a terriable illness

Talonne Hauk
28 April 2002, 11:46 AM
How do I get my players to cooperate? Cattle prods. They usually do the trick. If that doesn't work, flamethrowers. The kids love 'em...
But seriously, if I find my players straying off course, I usually nudge them back in the right direction with rumors and innuendo, or a stray NPC hired by the Bad Guy to snuff the heroes out, or by sending a Force-Sensitive character a vision. Sometimes I make stuff up on the spot to up the ante and make it even more critical for the heroes to follow the "correct path". But usually I sit down at the start of the game session and ask my players what they want to do. I then tailor the adventure around that. I've found that it's way too hard to create a highly detailed adventure. I just make a rough outline as the skeleton for the adventure, and let my players flesh out the body, so to speak.

Dr_Worm
29 April 2002, 11:11 AM
I'M NOT APETIZING ENOUGH FOR THEM HUH?

Just kidding.

Acually I had this happen to me, and what ended up hapening was that the players did the things that they wanted to do, and the game ended much sooner than usual. They were dissapointed, but I tried many times to get them back on the track of the adventure. From that point on when it ws my turn to GM, the players would ask me what style the adventure was, and I would tell them. That allowed them to look out for clues if it was a more cerebral adventure, and be quick to draw if it was a combat run.

DasBoot
29 April 2002, 12:26 PM
Yes money can usually be a real problem for getting adventures started. I've found that eventually players lose intrest in helping the Rebellion and are more out to get lots of cash fast so they can buy a better gun to shoot Stormtroopers with, followed by them using to gun to somehow pick a fight with stormtroopers. Eventually I got fed up enough of their pointless attempts to get money that I just said at one point that they could not buy anymore. "Why?!" they asked, and I calmly said "The empire has seized your funds, you have no money. Your ship has been impounded and you're now wanted men." That got them back to disliking the Empire and soon things were good again. Some were sort of angry that I took their money, but "I did not take their money, the Empire did" was all they got out of me when they complained.

Jaggard
29 April 2002, 09:33 PM
Tazers work. (sorry it's late and I felt like being silly.)

Lord Diggori
1 May 2002, 10:34 AM
I've found that the best way to keep players from ruining your well-laid plans is not to have them. Err..not to have well-laid plans. Players are very important actually. B)

If your gonna use hooks I advise using lots of them. You catch more fish with a net than a single line. There are thousands of different hooks to get them into the mysteriously abandoned Imperial garrison on Rastomir: rumors of valuable abandoned technology from some old scout, the final request of the scout after being shot by stormtroopers, the scout's protege was a PC's best buddy from high school and is missing, a bunch of toughs mistake a PC for the scout and warn him to stay off Rastomir, hell- that new power converter the scout sold them at 75% off ("A real steal!") fails and their ship must crash land on Rastomir.

Ofcourse by the third hook you look kinda desperate and if your players have the intelligence to tie their own shoes they should notice the hook.