PDA

View Full Version : Will Star Wars RPG Production Slow Down Or Possibly Stop?

Slacker
28 April 2002, 10:10 AM
(Disclaimer: No one knows anything about the situation. The ones that do aren't saying a word. This isn't a "Star Wars is doomed!" thread. Just a topic open for speculation.)

After the most recent layoffs at WotC, a lot of employees have been refusing to talk about the company's future plans. The last cut was a pretty deep one, as some of their best talent was let go. Could we possibly see a slowdown? As it is, we're only getting a few Star Wars books this year. I don't know if anyone here also plays D&D, but seeing how I do, I wonder if this will also carry over to it.

Perhaps the rpg division will slow down production to a crawl. Perhaps there will be a buyout of the rpg division that no one can talk about yet. Maybe they'll quit making rpgs altogether. (Though I doubt it. Baby. Bathwater.) Sure, you don't need new releases to play a game, but they sure do add a lot. Is anyone else concerned?

dgswensen
28 April 2002, 10:50 AM
Well, as long as we're speculating...

It's funny how discussions about WOTC often tend to run to extremes -- one minute, they're a monopolistic megalith that devour everything before them, and are "forcing" us to buy all these new books every year... the next, they're on the brink of oblivion.

I am not that concerned. D&D aside, it seems to me roleplaying games have never been a business with a huge profit margin. Things are tough all over right now, not just in the RPG business.

Plus, there literally could not be a better time to be putting out material under the Star Wars license. Episode II is coming out, interest in Star Wars is high, and Wizards / Hasbro is at the helm -- and they've got some deep pockets. I think it's safe to assume the SW line will remain profitable for awhile -- after all, WEG turned out the d6 roleplaying game at a time when there was no particular upsurge in Star Wars popularity -- unlike now. So, my hopes are high.

Nazgul
28 April 2002, 10:52 AM
I'm a little concerned, but then again not too much. Maybe they realized this year there would be alot of compitition for our dollars as all of the EPII stuff will be comming out. They know we gamers can be loyal but at the same time don't have lots of money. They may have figured that they wouldn't be able to compete with the rest of the EPII merchandising, so they'll just produce a little bit less this year (or this is atleast what I'm hoping for as to the reason behind the slow-down).

Donovan Morningfire
28 April 2002, 05:09 PM
I recall hearing that Wizards only planned to release about a half-dozen Star Wars RPG books this year.

So far we have the NJOSB, Tempest Fued, Revised Core Rulebook, Power of the Jedi SB, and the Arms & Equipment Guide. That's about a half-dozen releases.

I think the initial plan my have been to have each book release alternate with a new issue of Star Wars Gamer, but since Gamer's future is in question, we may simply have to wait two months between releases this year.

It could also be for reasons similar to what Nazgul said. Gamers don't tend to be rolling in dough, and with the plethora of Ep2 stuff out on the market, they may be deciding to sit and wait, hoping to thus rake in more money down the line.

Talonne Hauk
28 April 2002, 06:51 PM
2002 looks to be a done deal. I don't think anything official will be coming out besides what we already know. But with SWGamer closing doors, there will be a windfall of creative talent and hours to fill, so perhaps 2003 will be the year when WoTC busts out of its seams. After all, Episode II will have created a thirst for new product, and will probably be rereleased, if it isn't still playing, so hype will still be there.

Slayde Dylin
28 April 2002, 08:28 PM
Begin Transmission--

Aloha from the bridge of the Mako:

Who knows what will happen with the closings and layoffs. But I think that SW stuff will probably be done revising stuff until the next movie comes out. Until then we have seen the slow down of RPG products coming out for the time being. I hope not because it ia always interesting to see what the creative minds at WotC can come up with, Maybe an Old West RPG that we can all be Wyatt Earp or Marshall Dillan. GUNSLINGERS UNITE.

Remember if you ever find yourself on Kessel stop by the Jackal's Anvil and ask for Cree Monal or Cron Raol for all your shipping needs.

Slade out.

End Transmission--

dragonseye
29 April 2002, 07:14 AM
Honestly, you really can't guess at an outcome when layoffs are concerned... also the reason they are silent could be as simple as the fact that they Must keep their silence in order to get their severence check. A lot of companies are like that (and I know from first hand experience since my husband has just been laid off- one of the condissions of his severence check is that he can't speak to anyone about the plants closing... also why my quality of postings as well as number of postings has dropped severely for the past month...) I have a feeling that WOTC's layoffs are actually valid ones in comparison to the place my husband works at (but I don't want to rant too much on that subject...)

I doubt WOTC will go under, but who knows with the way things are going. I would think a large company would buy them out before they'd permanently stop production of the RPGs. But in all honesty, they probably would drop Star Wars first before they'd even think about dropping DnD- DnD is their money maker, not Star Wars. Hopefully another company would seek out the rights to Star Wars if that possibility ever arose.

Slayde Dylin,

Actually, you can already get this... it's called Deadlands... I also believe there is supposed to be another Western style d20 game coming out sometime in the future. I think it was advertised in either Dragon or Dugeon just recently. I fI see more about it, I'll let you know.

Moridin
29 April 2002, 08:25 AM
I actually asked JD what the deal was, and he explained it to me like this: though there are fewer books coming out this year, a large chunk of their development time went into the Revised Core Rulebook. So, you're not getting less actual material, just a smaller number of books. It's not a sign that the line is in trouble by any means.

harp121
20 May 2002, 09:42 AM
Hi all. Is there any word about the fate of SW Gamer yet?

Bjorn
20 May 2002, 10:19 PM
Personally, I'm not too worried about things. I highly doubt that WotC is going under. We still have two more books coming out this year.

Things might seem a little slow, but that just gives us GMs time to flex our creative muscles. When WEG stopped putting out books, I noticed my campaigns became really creative. I began writing up more things instead of waiting for WEG to publish stats. They were some of the best games that my group played. ;)

Just my opinion. :D

As for Star Wars Gamer harp121, you might want to check out the Developer Chat Transcript. The developers talk about the fate of the Gamer Magazine. They say its on hold for now.

http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/files/text/rcrbdevchat.txt

Bjorn the Stout

harp121
21 May 2002, 04:01 AM
Bjorn-- Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Take care!