PDA

View Full Version : Server Busy- you gotta be kidding me.

Reverend Strone
30 April 2002, 05:20 PM
Well, that's the message I got yesterday for a good while when I tried to get on to the Holonet.

To be perfectly fair, we do seem to be experiencing a vast up-surge in users online at once, I'm sure thanks to the new server. Perhaps it was just a glitch, or a temporary problem? I'm hoping so anyway.

After the effort Armage Bedar and the team went to in solving that server issue, it sure would be disheartening if it were to crop up again due to increased activity after so short a time.

Chris Curtis
30 April 2002, 06:12 PM
Well, I must admit that I encountered the same thing earlier today. However, it seemed to go away on it's own after 3-4 minutes, so, for me at least, it wasn't that big a deal.

I agree that the problem may well have something to do with the recent large surge in concurrent online users. Not only does the recent server upgrade almost certainly have something to do with it, but the site was also apparently mentioned over at TheForce.Net (http://www.theforce.net/) (though I never saw the mention myself).

Hopefully it won't be a recurring issue like it was before, though.

madpoet
30 April 2002, 06:20 PM
I'm sad to report that the evil Server Busy message has come across my screen on 4 or 5 different occassions since the change over to the new server. I'm still plugging away though, in the hopes that the bugs will be worked out.

Moridin
30 April 2002, 06:28 PM
My fear is (and this is completely without proof as I haven't checked out the server logs) that as we upgraded to the new server, we could accomodate more traffic...but not nearly as much as we need! Not only did we get TFNed, we also got ENWorlded....and, since we've got the only review of the Revised Core Rulebook up on the web right now, I'd say that makes the site rather attractive.

It could be bad programming, or that we've got something set up wrong...can't say for certain. We'll look into it.

Armage Bedar
1 May 2002, 10:07 AM
The "server busy" message will still appear, but the new server allows us to raise that threshold to a higher level than we could before. However, the number of visitors of late has caused that vile message to appear a bit more often than we'd like.

Still, though, if you get it you're probably not alone and it's not permanent, so don't worry. We're aware of the issue, and that's the price of popularity.

madpoet
1 May 2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the update, Armage. I'm glad I'm not going to suffer through the same problem as often as I used to.

Reverend Strone
1 May 2002, 01:01 PM
Yep, I'll echo the Madpoet. Thanks guys. You're just too darned popular I quess.

darth maim
1 May 2002, 05:26 PM
perhaps by limiting the amount of unregistered users online at once you can avoid this issue... I'm not sure if this would be easy enough to do to make it worth trying but it would definately help with registered regulars getting the dreaded "server busy" message...

Alun
1 May 2002, 06:26 PM
Uhm i have a quick question for one of these busy Webmaster dudes.

Since we swiched servers, whenever i try to view a member profile it takes between 30 secs sometimes up to 2-3 minutes before it pops up. Whereas before it to 2-3 seconds. is thats just me or is this known about ???

Chris Curtis
1 May 2002, 06:39 PM
Alun, the member profile issue is known to the webmasters. They've stated that they'll look into it, but as of right now there's no word on a solution.

For the record, I'm getting the same kind of thing happening to me. However, since the rest of the HoloNet is preforming pretty well, I'm willing to overlook having to wait a little bit for a profile...

Alun
2 May 2002, 04:28 AM
Ok, just wanted to see.

Thanks Chris

Armage Bedar
2 May 2002, 01:42 PM
Sorry, guys -- I *do* know about it, but I've been crunched for time lately (and will be until after Attack of the Clones) so I may not get a chance to fix it for a while. Still, though, I will look into it.