PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your own maps?

Burner
1 May 2002, 11:58 AM
Does anyone use Campagn Cartographer to make their maps for roleplaying? I just downloaded the demo and am very impressed with it. Once I scrape up some cash I plan on getting a copy. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it versus hand drawn maps. :D

Alun
1 May 2002, 01:09 PM
Well, i am scarred.

I tried one of the first CC many years ago, and it was trying to build a rocket with a cardboard roll and a rubber band. I am sure they have improved immesnsely since, i just haven't checked.

For my basic maps, worlds, pirate bases, areas, cities I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. They work fine for my needs.

MassassiC
1 May 2002, 03:59 PM
Well for me, I am using Fractal Terrains (same people who do CC actually), mapping the resultant world onto a 3d globe and rendering at various points so that I can get a near-flat view of each land-mass.
Then I take that into something like Paint Shop Pro and (on a new layer) paint on key locations, changing anything I need.
When I'm done, I have a full continent which isn't being deformed by spherical distortion.
Of course, you could always do your alterations on the Fractal Terrains output and then map it if you wanted to keep a fixed globe for rendering, but I'm more interested in continents :)

Dan Kyrinov
1 May 2002, 07:21 PM
It depends how detailed you want the maps. I recommend DungeonCrafter.com. It's a tile based mapping system. If you go there and download some of the custom files that go with the program, as well as get DC1, you'll get a free way to do simple maps. Some of the artists who submit map tiles do some beautiful work, but I am sorry to say that only about a third of their selection is sci-fi. Still, worth a look.

dgswensen
1 May 2002, 08:56 PM
Wow, Kyrinov, thanks for recommending Dungeoncrafter! Mapping has been a constant problem for me -- I have the artistic talent to make attractive maps, but it just takes so much time and effort that mostly I just don't bother. Like Alun, I use Photoshop, but it's just too time-intensive to be practical. This will come in really handy!

And thanks for pointing out CC, Burner. It looks cool, although the price is out of my range right now. It looks awesome, though -- I am drooling.

kermit
1 May 2002, 11:27 PM
cc2 is supposed to be pretty good - and better than cc1

Burner
2 May 2002, 03:37 AM
Thanks for mentioning Dungeon Crafter, Dan Kyrinov. I will have to check it out.

Sounds like most of you use the computer to make outside maps, but what do you do for floor plans and deck plans? Do you use the same programs?

I would try Photoshop and Illustrator if it weren't for the fact that I am used to a CAD environmrnt. I am a computer programmer at an engineering shop and they use Autocad here, so I am familiar with how CC2 works already. They are very simillar. Thanks for the info though. :D

Dan Stack
2 May 2002, 04:49 AM
I use CC2. I'm not a super-expert with it, but I'm far enough along that I can do what I want with it. For a cantina, corridor, or something like that I go for a "quick and dirty" map, not worrying about everything being perfect. For something more important (like the White Crane, the characters' Mon Calamari Deep Water-class Freighter) I spend a lot more time but the result is well worth the expert.

The tough thing about CC2 is that it really is a CAD program customized for making RPG maps. That makes it a bit tough to learn. The tutorials it comes with really should be done and I've always found the CC2 yahoogroup to be an excellent resource - most of the ProFantasy people (creators of CC2) hang out there and gladly answer questions.

Burner
2 May 2002, 06:47 AM
Dan Stack, do you have a link for the CC2 Yahoo group?

Dan Stack
2 May 2002, 07:28 AM
Burner,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cc2-l/

(btw, interesting handle - we had a Bounty Hunter named Burner in our Star Wars game till his player moved to Chicago... :D)