PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars TCG

Dan Kyrinov
2 May 2002, 08:49 PM
Here's some miscellanea: has anyone picked up the SWTCG yet? My brother and I got the starter decks and some boosters today and played a few rounds, and I think the game rocks. Combat and new units all sweep together into a fast-paced white-knuckle war. Also, we learn tidbits about Kit Fisto and Zam Wessell, we see awesome shots of the film, we get plenty of characters that play major roles in the film. If you're wavering on the purchase, start with the starter decks, they are a good value and game for the money. So is anyone else out there also playing the game? What do you guys think?

FlipDog 2000
3 May 2002, 06:43 AM
Just so ya know...the new card game sucks a fatty wang!!! I am loyal to the original and will always be loyal to it. If they would have made the new compatable w/ the old...that would have been okay.

DarthMalaryush
3 May 2002, 07:08 AM
I think the game is great. With Richard Garfield having worked on it, it couldn't go wrong. I am just a traditionalist and can't wait for a Rebellion era set to come out.

Dan Kyrinov
4 May 2002, 05:39 AM
Amen to that. Richard Garfield has done it again. I appreciate the design staff's idea to get out versions of the popular characters in multiple rarities. This means that when that classic trilogy set arrives, we can get our hands on our favorite characters. I also can't wait for the expanded universe sets!

Superdog
4 May 2002, 03:03 PM
Does this game have tapping?

Dan Kyrinov
5 May 2002, 06:07 AM
The game taps cards, the way that works is something like this. Each card can get tapped once in a round. You tap a card to attack with it, but some cards have a special ability, usable only before the attack phase of the game, that requires tapping. They then cannot attack. Other cards, the Battle cards, can do other things with tapping, like for instance, a darkside card has the power to untap an enemy card and cause it to use a second attack on it's friends.

Superdog
5 May 2002, 02:50 PM
I guess that settles the issue in my mind, i'll stick with the originial. I'm so sick of tapping, I was hoping WotC would make something entirely originial instead of just re-hashing their old products(cough*d20*cough).
I still might grab a starter to settle the issue once and for all, how much does this game cost? Typical prices?

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
5 May 2002, 06:24 PM
I'm gonna stay pretty clear of the new game, having a strong dislike for WotC and their inability to create original games (IMHO). I was thinking of buying up some more of decipher's great game though, as I was once an avid player of that.

Dan Kyrinov
5 May 2002, 07:28 PM
A little help here from anyone who likes the game... I'm surrounded!

Please don't get me wrong, I'm being a little silly. Decipher's card game rocked the house. It is a better game, but sadly, I could not get many of the cards, and I did not ever get the characters I wanted. There's something about buying the starter deck and finding Zam Wessell and Jango Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, all at once. And one man can have two loves, when we're talking about card games.

Should you decide to buy the starter deck, it goes for seven-fifty (approximate) in the Midwest-Eastern US. I am confident you'll be able to justify the purchase, it's a great price for card games.

Reverend Strone
6 May 2002, 11:11 PM
I used to buy the old Decipher cards. They were fantastic reference for model-making and action figure customisation. I did try playing it a few times, but it never grabbed me the same way other CCGs have in the past.

If these new ones are as rich in obscure lore and imagery, you can bet I'll buy them- again, probably not to play, but as visual reference.

reliant
7 May 2002, 05:12 AM
I checked out the card game while at celebration II. It seemed interesting, and the system is certainly better than the Decipher game used... I liked the dice aspect to the whole thing too... So far as I'm concerned the only thing the SW CCG cards are good for (decipher or WotC) are the pictures for regular role playing. I bought a bunch of the decipher cards at Celebration for a ridiculasly cheap price (I even got boba fett) and the cards will work well to show what people/places/stuff looks like.

Just my two creds worth...

REG
7 May 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by ALFRED_THE_EWOK
I'm gonna stay pretty clear of the new game, having a strong dislike for WotC and their inability to create original games (IMHO). I was thinking of buying up some more of decipher's great game though, as I was once an avid player of that.
I thought that Decipher's Star Wars and Star Trek basically uses the same set of basic core rules for CCG. Do they?

Reverend Strone
7 May 2002, 02:49 PM
I thought that Decipher's Star Wars and Star Trek basically uses the same set of basic core rules for CCG. Do they?

No, they were quite different. Actually, the ST ones worked a little better in my mind, but wouldn't have translated across to the Sw CCG at all. Decipher made the smart call to let the structure of the series/films determine the structure of gameplay, so the ST CCG structure wouldn't have suited SW at all. My main criticism of the SW one was that by the time you had your cards in play, the game was over.

Superdog
8 May 2002, 08:08 PM
The reason I'm wary of this game, is I get most of my info on TCG's I haven't played from this web page: Richard Weld's Penultimate CCG Review Page (http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Cavern/7378/ccgreviews.html)
I agree with him on all the reviews of games I've played, so I generally trust what he says. And he is NOT kind in his review of this game.