PDA

View Full Version : STATS: New Starship Weapon System

Troy Henist
3 May 2002, 05:18 AM
I have a couple of ideas for some starfighters in the pipeline at the mo, but they are going to use some new weapons.

Now I have written up some stuff for them, but I am to sure on my descriptions on them, so I was wondering if people could have a look and see what you think, and what improvements if any I can make.

Cheers :)

Hunter Missile

Merr-Sonn, were approached by C-SEC to develop an advanced anti-starfighter missile for their new Hawk Interceptor. The result was the sophisticated Hunter missile. What gives this missile its distinct advantage is the Pathfinder Targeting Acquisition Computer (PTAC) that Merr-Sonn developed. This advanced fire control system gives the Hunter missile greater accuracy even at extreme ranges when used against opposing starfighters. When a target is acquired and the missile fired the PTAC guides the missile to the target by feeding the targets speed, course and any directional changes it makes directly to the MCC (Missile Control Computer), which is able to alter its course in flight depending on the data it receives. Most of the missile is taken up by its powerful engine and fuel systems which give it greater range over most other missile systems carried by other starfighters. The draw back is a reduction in the damaging force that missile provides, whilst it is powerful enough to destroy or cripple most starfighters, it has proven to be extremely ineffective against capital ships.

Merr-Sonn Hunter Missile
Type: ALRAM (Advanced Long Range Anti-fighter Missile)
Scale: Starfighter
Space Range: 1/5/10
Atmosphere: 100m/500m/1km
Fire Control: 4D
Damage: 6D (Drops to 2D damage against Capital Ships)

Hellstorm Missile

Again C-SEC asked Merr-Sonn to design them a new weapon, this time for the Phoenix Heavy Bomber. What was designed was a powerful short-range missile. Built as anti-capital ship missile, the Hellstorm contains powerful nuclear warhead, which allows it to considerable damage to Capital ships. With the most of the Missile taken up by the warhead, not much space was left for propulsion systems which means that ship carrying them has to get in quite close to its target, but the damage it can do to the target has offset this drawback. Also because of the targeting computers the missile system uses it is impossible for the Hellstorm to be used against other starfighters.

Merr-Sonn Hellstorm Missile
Type: ASRAM (Advanced Short Range Anti-Capital Missile)
Space Range: 1/2/4
Atmosphere: 100m/200m/400m
Fire Control: 2D
Damage: 12D
Notes
Can't be used to target Starfighter scale craft.

Chris Curtis
3 May 2002, 06:45 AM
Overall, I think both of them look pretty decent. While your description on the Hunter missile makes it pretty unique, it seems that the only difference stat-wise is that the FC is higher than normal. You might want to try and come up with something to make it a bit more unique.

You change the damage of the Hunter missile based on whether the target is Starfighter or Capital scale as well. I would think that it wouldn't be necessary since the normal scale modifiers (whether using 1st/2nd edition rules, or the newer ones from 2nd R&E) would take care of making the missiles much less effective against capital ships.

Also, you might be interested in taking a look at the ALternate Missile Rules (http://starwars-rpg.net/servais/misc/missile_rules.shtml) that the guys at TORIS and I came up with. It covers a lot of what you're trying to do with your missiles.

Troy Henist
3 May 2002, 07:15 AM
Thanks Chris.

Fair enough point the point about the damage.

Here is the Hunter missile v2. With an added extra feature

Hunter Missile

Merr-Sonn, were approached by C-SEC to develop an advanced anti-starfighter missile for their new Hawk Interceptor. The result was the sophisticated Hunter missile. What gives this missile its distinct advantage is the Pathfinder Targeting Acquisition Computer (PTAC) that Merr-Sonn developed. This advanced fire control system gives the Hunter missile greater accuracy even at extreme ranges when used against opposing starfighters. When a target is acquired and the missile fired the PTAC guides the missile to the target by feeding the targets speed, course and any directional changes it makes directly to the MCC (Missile Control Computer), which is able to alter its course in flight depending on the data it receives. Most of the missile is taken up by its powerful engine and fuel systems which give it greater range over most other missile systems carried by other starfighters. One of the unique features of the system is that it even if the pilot does not have a lock on the target he can still fire toward it. Due to the way the PTAC and MCC work in conjunction, the pilot can attempt to make another lock on the ship, once the lock is made the missile can be guided to back towards its target. This can only be done once before the missiles fuel is expended and the re-attempt can only be made in the round after the missile was fired.

Merr-Sonn Hunter Missile
Space Range: 1/5/10
Atmosphere: 100m/500m/1km
Fire Control: 4D
Damage: 6D
Note
Pilot may fire without lock and attempt to re-aquire a target the following round. This attempt can only be done in the round directly after the missile is fired. It it fails or no attempt is made in round after the missile has been fired then the missile runs out of fuel and no attempt can be made again with that missile.

wolverine
3 May 2002, 09:56 AM
My suggestion.....

Merr-Sonn Hunter Missile
Space Range: 3/9/15
Atmosphere: 600m/1.8km/3km
Fire Control: 4D initially, after missile fired goes to 6d hunting mode.
Damage: 6D
Notes; missile has own targeting sustem installed, allowing the missile to attempt re-lock after loosing a target, or to keep target acquired.

The other one is ok.

Troy Henist
7 May 2002, 05:16 AM
Nice idea Wolverine

Ok guys would this work?

The Hunter missile has two firing methods.

1. Involves the pilot having to get a successful lock on the target when firing the missile.
Uses ships Fire control of 4D.

2. Invoves the use of small passive laser (range = to missile range) to paint the target (like they do today with LGB's). Once the target has been painted the pilot fires the missile to utilies the missiles own systems to track and lock onto the target.
Hunting Mode Fire Control of 6D.