PDA

View Full Version : Shouldnt the level and rank correspond?

Matt Richard
6 May 2002, 04:17 PM
Im sure you get a lot of these type of complaints, but, just wondering. My level is 11, but I still havnt been promoted since Feb. I have 162 posts, and while i know its not just based on posts, a logical factor should be views, right? Well, some of my threads have seen well over 100 views (GM Convention, OK am I an idiot?, etc.) Im 73% done with level 11 and all i can come up with is that my posts per day is low, but all of the top ranking people also have low averages, so I doubt that could be the reason? Any ideas as to why Im this low on the heirarchy. Does the Emperor not like me? Should I kill Darth Vader to join the dark side and get ranked higher, or am I just going to have to defect?:D Just wondering.

Grimace
6 May 2002, 04:48 PM
There's also a thing called "time in service" that has a factor on promotions.

Don't worry, Lieutenant, the Empire can't exist with Flag Officers alone. We need people like you to keep things running. :D

Rouge8
6 May 2002, 06:41 PM
I need comander so I can have full authority over Midnight Squadron (O.K. I am a Colonel, but I'd like some Reank over here). Besides at level 10 I can make Reputation checks and attract a tech staff. My pilots can't matnene our squadron.

AWingJock
4 June 2002, 05:33 AM
Ok I must be lost. Can someone explain to me what you all are talkin about so I can stop looking at you all upside down and with the funny look on my face?? <Does a nifty stand on his finger while levetating the mouse and a stylus to type this... Then looses concentration and falls over, smashing his TV.:D

Chris Curtis
4 June 2002, 09:02 AM
AWing, if you view your (or someone else's) profile, you'll see what's being discussed. One of the "gimmicks" of the site is that you get ranks and some other "attributes" that are computed through a secret ritual that involves sacrifices, the full moon, and shavings from a unicorn's horn. Okay, not really, but the formula is secret.

However, the levels, VP, XP, etc really don't mean anything. They're just there for fun and shouldn't be taken seriously. All anyone should be concerned with is making valuable posts, contributing constructively to discussions, and being polite to other members. The rest of the stuff is all fluff.

AWingJock
4 June 2002, 09:57 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Thanks. I was just not really sure what the heck it was all about, and was curious about all of the other stuff in the margins. I must say though I am quite impressed with the people on these forums so far, not much flaming and LOTS of helpful people. Good stuff.

FlipDog 2000
14 June 2002, 08:36 AM
So, why is it that most of us stay at Lt. Commander for so long?

And when...and if....I have enough posts to ever reach Grand Admiral...can I just stay there...

Chris Curtis
14 June 2002, 09:48 AM

Only the Top Secret rank-progression formula could tell you that. And I don't think any of the 3 or so people who know the formula are going to be telling us what it is anytime soon.

As for the "Grand Admiral" rank... I don't know if it's actually a part of the regular rank progression at all. It may be a special reserved rank...

FlipDog 2000
14 June 2002, 11:02 AM
Oh, I wasn't sure about that either....thanks

Rouge8
17 June 2002, 05:45 PM
I want Commander or higher. I need my authority. (At lesat I can make Rep checks to attract followers).;)

Pel
7 July 2002, 10:43 PM
I kinda liked the old structure better: the one based on Jabba's Palace. It was still a bit of a mystery, but at least it was a bit more creative on the surface (Gamorrean Guard, Wookiee Slave, Chained Princess, and all that).
Just a blast from the past. Please pardon my nostalgia ;)

Armage Bedar
8 July 2002, 05:06 PM
Heh, Pel, I sympathize. Perhaps in the next revision of the HoloNet (we're about due for one in a few months ;)) you'll see it...

Pel
9 July 2002, 08:35 PM
Hey, that's cool. Change is good. Of course I'm just happy to be involved in such an excellent venue for all things SW. Whatever changes (if any) that you guys make will no doubt improve the already outstanding holonet. So I'll just trust in the Admins & the Force :D

kingnat
3 August 2002, 08:51 PM
I wanna rank.

The board won't let me add an alleigence though :(
Every time I try to add an alleigence, it just ignores me, and acts as if I never put anything in the fields.

Lord Byss
5 August 2002, 01:26 AM
Slightly off-topic but still on ranks. Do you have a webpage that displays all the possible ranks for all the alleigances? Would be useful so people can see where they are AND so I can pilfer the piccys of the rank badges for my homebrew rank system (huh, the cheek!).

If this page is already up then I apologise, could you point me to it?

OverLord
5 August 2002, 05:52 AM
Is it possible to lose rank?

Jedi_Staailis
5 August 2002, 08:53 AM
I think the date registered plays into effect here (as Grimace mentioned). Virtually all of the users at the seeming cap (Lt. Commander for the Empire, Squadron Leader for the Alliance) registered mid to late 2001 or later. These users (like you and me) haven't been members long enough to achieve a higher rank, despite a solid post count or rating.

I don't think so. But without knowing the secret formula, I can't really be sure. :)

Ravager_of_worlds
6 August 2002, 09:59 AM
reading this thread made me want to check my own rank out... and i made commander! Whoo hoo! I'm taking my imperial squadron out for tea and crumpets (AKA- beer and brownies).

plus, i'd be up to find the gifs/jpegs/etc. that is the displays for imperial ranks.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
6 August 2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by OverLord

From what I have seen - yes.

I had just gotten bumped up a rank when my rating went from 4.0 to 3.9 and I lost the rank that I had just gotten (later that day I was back up to 4.0 so it can back).

So the formula may use the integer value from your rating to figure your rank.