PDA

View Full Version : Gamer #10 and dirty thieves...

dgswensen
7 May 2002, 07:38 AM
A minor rant here...

So, yesterday, I go down to the comic shop to pick up my copy of Gamer #10, as I finally have some money on hand. Now, as most of you probably know, each issue of Gamer #10 contains a single Episode II Trading Card Game card, as an added bonus.

Well, I get to the newsstand and find out that some enterprising soul had gone through, slit open the plastic covers on the magazines, and stolen every single one of the cards.

Now, I don't play the SW-TCG, so this doesn't really break my heart -- but it does annoy me. Trading card games in general seem characterized by this kind of petty theft. I know many people who have spent hundreds of dollars on cards, only to have some punk kid lift it off them. But to start stealing the cards out of magazines now? That's a new one on me.

Bah.

darth maim
7 May 2002, 10:39 PM
Yeah I've noticed that tcg's lend themselves quite nicely to rampant theivery as well... I actually knew a guy that lifted a list of credit card numbers and owner info from a storage place and went on a magic card shopping spree online...

Sad... just sad.

Reverend Strone
7 May 2002, 11:48 PM
I'm about to go pick up my copy of SW Gamer #10, and have no use for the card included, so if the completist in you needs one I'll send it right over. Just say the word dg.

grizzly
8 May 2002, 05:59 AM
I got my copy in Perth today (almost as quick as NZ!!) and noticed that the bottom of the back had been sliced open, but sticky taped up again.
Maybe there was a series of bags that didn't have the cards put in and were remedially opened, but not sealed again properly?

dgswensen
8 May 2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
I'm about to go pick up my copy of SW Gamer #10, and have no use for the card included, so if the completist in you needs one I'll send it right over. Just say the word dg. I appreciate the offer, Reverend, but I don't really need the card. It's the principle of the thing.

Reverend Strone
8 May 2002, 01:13 PM
I understand completely.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
8 May 2002, 01:51 PM
Your right... theft like that is just sad... And no, i'm not buying into the TCG either...

Ya know whats just as bad? bookstores that get the magazines, slit the bag to remove the cd (to hand to the customer at purchase) and the customer not getting the cd or the rest of the goodies from the opened mag bag ...

So-Var Leet
8 May 2002, 02:15 PM
When I recieved my copy of Gamer #10, I didn't have anything missing. But I've seen this kind of thing before with PC Gamer - a couple of the magazines had the CD removed, and all of the others didn't.

Grrrrr.