PDA

View Full Version : New Jedi tricks?

Tony J Case, Super Genius
8 May 2002, 09:46 AM
So I'm finally playing Star Wars again - and a couple of things about Jedi powers occur to me mid game. I'm surprised that I never thought of this before. . . .

Would you guys consider it plausible for a Jedi to be able to control their various bodily functions - you know, slowing the heart rate, regulating the breathing, everything that would be associated with being unconscious or being in hibernation trance - and yet still remain awake and active. I recall Luke doing something like this in the marvel comics run, in issue 45 called "Death Probe" if memory serves, and I know that martial arts masters can do something similar (tho not quite to the extreme that I'm looking for here).

What do you think? Some kind of advanced version of hibernation trance?

Sabre
8 May 2002, 12:31 PM
If this were a power of its own at all, it would probably use control. Since the basic force rules don't have players advancing any of their force powers past what the force skill is at, you might as well just have your player roll control when they're trying to do something like this. I've always favored a more freeform approach to the force, though, so this sort of on-the-fly power creation might not sit well with you. If that is the case, then I'd agree with your suggestion of just using Hibernation trance and boosting the difficulty since they're trying to drop the hibernation and go straight for the trance.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
9 May 2002, 03:38 PM
Seems that I'm at the other end of the spectrum, Sabre - I like to compartmentalize as much as possible. But it seems like the advanced hibernation trance is the way to go.

Ok - here's another one. So, you've got a jedi fighting with a blast shield or some kind of other 'your eyes can decieve you' moment. Bottom line, they have to fight (or operate blind) - I'd probably just go with a sense roll of some sort (perhaps the difficulty would depend on how much the Jedi is paying attention to, level of other distractions and so on). Does this sound good for everyone?

Sabre
9 May 2002, 07:10 PM
In this situation, I'd have them roll lightsabre skill modified by the lightsabre combat force power as normal (however you handle it). Then slap on the total darkness penalty modifier. I don't know what that is off the top of my head. Anyway, their skills should count for something.

Grimace
10 May 2002, 05:15 AM
Well, as for the first question, I'd say:

Since you're in the "compartmentalize" camp, I suggest making a new power. You could make it sound all cool if you want: "Walking Dead" or "Force Ghost" or some such thing. Have at least one of the prerequisites be Hibernation Trance. Basically, the Jedi would have to know how to go into Hibernation Trance first, before they could start tweaking it so that they can do it while still moving and acting.

For the second question, I'd say:

If you're doing the typical Luke thing, where he's fighting the training ball or something with a lightsaber, I'd probably go with Sabre's suggestion. Use Lightsaber Combat and include the skill, but apply penalties for not being able to see the target (or attack). If you're doing something else, such as walking on a tightrope towards a master control panel, in pitch blackness, and trying to pull the power cylinder from it's resting place (even though you can't see it), something like Sense could certainly be the aspect rolled. The Jedi would have to Sense the unseen rope, they would have to Sense when they were near the control panel, and they would have to Sense when they reached for the unseen power cylinder. Of course, each of these would have substantial changes in difficulty.

That's my two cents.