PDA

View Full Version : LotR: The Two Towers

Iris
9 May 2002, 06:38 AM
*SIGH*

This is one of those things make you wonder if Reverse Evolution doesn't really exist. Unfortunately it's so sad that it's funny and really makes you wonder how people can be so... Stupid? Is that a strong enough word for this??

What's even sadder is this person is serious!!

WARNING: Put away all lightsabers and blasters before reading. This will make you want to turn to the Dark Side. :)

To: Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema
Those of us who have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring know what an amazing director Peter Jackson is. When I learned that there apparently was to be a sequel, I was overjoyed. However, Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel "The Two Towers". The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center. In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgiveable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant. Hopefully, when Peter Jackson and, more importantly, New Line Cinema see the number of signatures on this petition, the title will be changed to something a little more sensitive.

This is a real petition!!! (http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/petition.html)

About the only "good" thing about this is that of the 1200+ signature, only about 80 are valid.

Perhaps the only thing funnier than the petition itself are some of the comments from people that agree with this .... umm.... idiot and fool don't feel anywhere near strong enough.

Please, don't get me wrong! I am just as upset as the rest of the US over the events of 9/11. I had family in WTC1 (15th flr). I have relatives who are NYC Police Officers where were on scene through much of the events of that day. I also live in Pittsburgh PA and the plane that crashed in Sommerset County PA missed Pittsburgh by mere SECONDS! I am NOT insenstive to people's feelings over the events of 9/11. But THIS is rediculous! Common sense has to prevail somewhere.

*takes a deep breath* Sorry, I don't want to rant on this.

Anyway... what do you think about this?

dgswensen
9 May 2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Iris
Anyway... what do you think about this?

I think whomever put this poll together is a massive idiot.

If they're serious, then they have no grasp of time, history, or logic. The Two Towers was written in 1954, which renders any relation to the World Trade Center ridiculous. The petitioner is calling for action while having no grasp of the facts, which is (unfortunately) a modern American phenomenon that the Internet has made all too easy.

If they aren't serious, then they're making a tasteless, shallow joke surrounding 9/11, which is seriously unfunny and also qualifies the petitioner as a massive idiot.

So, either way, the petitioners are poor specimens of humanity.

I only hope some PR buffoon at New Line doesn't take this to heart and decide they must change the name of the next LOTR movie.

Nazgul
9 May 2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Iris
Stupid? Is that a strong enough word for this??

Definitely not. This is kind of one of those things where you go: This person must really be Soylent Green on the hoof. Then just kindly say: "You out of the gene pool."

Originally posted by dgswensen
So, either way, the petitioners are poor specimens of humanity.

That's a pretty good acessment.

Emperor Xanderich II
9 May 2002, 11:09 AM
Definately lame. Things like that petition really annoy me because in the end they generally have the opposite effect of what they are trying to say.

Warning: Those who view the petition should be aware that many people have used very strong lanuage.

Reverend Strone
9 May 2002, 11:50 AM
As someone associated with these films I find this a very unfortunate and quite frankly insulting petition. It's just sad that someone would make such a serious statement about something he knows nothing about, in the process, seriously slandering a group of people who's intentions are to enrich lives by telling powerful stories. Why didn't he do his homework?

Many people down here in NZ lost friends and family in the 911 tragedy. We all felt the same pain, seeing that terrible event unfold before us. If there was anything we could do to change what happened, we would, but changing the name of a movie releasing well over a year later is not going to do that, especially when it is one so beloved and well known to the world as LOTR and was written half a century ago. I would even argue that doing so would only draw attention to itself and be counter-productive.

It's just such a shame that even in the light of such horror, ignorance and false assumption prevails. A sad reflection on Human character.

I've written the guy to let him know how I feel. I'm sure I'm not the first.

Iris
9 May 2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
I've written the guy to let him know how I feel. I'm sure I'm not the first.

I'd be curious to see what his reply is. If it's possible to share the response to your e-mail, assuming he even bothers to reply, please do so.

REG
9 May 2002, 12:37 PM
:raised:

I know this is going to be an expensive suggestion but if you can get ahold of the petitioner's snail mail address, then I suggest you mail him/her/IT the second LOTR book by J.R.R. Tolkien (preferably old, not the new one with pictures from the Peter Jackson movie) with the FRICKIN' book title!!! :mad:

I really hate it when people are so ignorant and overly sensitive.

Superdog
9 May 2002, 12:43 PM
About a month after LotR was released, Peter Jackson commented about how some people might think the Two Towers isn't appropriate a title for a movie coming out post 9/11. Thankfully he also said that he would never change it, because the fans would roast him alive. That's good. (not the roasting alive part)
LOL, I see there's thousands of false entry voided comments and the website has basically posted a message stating that the people are wrong. I find this funny more than infuriating, these people are the comic relief for smarter folk. There's about a hundred valid posts, as far as I can tell.

Alun
9 May 2002, 12:49 PM
Yes and to follow that line i suggest we remove all movies featuring terrorism, planes crashing, any two bulding resembling the twin towers.

I didn't think a person with that marginal an intelligence would know how to turn on a computer and access the internet.

DOOOHHH!!, Yes i guess JRR was jost a nostradamus of a sort and named hs book after (or before - time travelling or phophecy grammar always messes me up) 9/11.

Reverend Strone
9 May 2002, 01:05 PM
I'd be curious to see what his reply is. If it's possible to share the response to your e-mail, assuming he even bothers to reply, please do so.

Sure Iris, though I tend to doubt I'll get a reply. I'd like to imagine he's feeling pretty silly right now.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
9 May 2002, 04:28 PM
Wow, the guy who posted that must be pretty daft.