PDA

View Full Version : Newbie GM needs help in Dealing with an annoying Player

GM_kojo
10 May 2002, 08:03 AM
I have a player who has created his own race. I personally think that it is unballanced but I would love your input as well, here is its stats
Dex+4
Int+0
con-2
Str- 2
Cha+0
DR 5(if struck by an energy weapon)
Natural weapons: 2 Calcium Blades (1D8 damage, can use both equally)
Jumping 5 meters up, 10 meters forward w/ out running or being aided by the the force.
:?

dgswensen
10 May 2002, 08:28 AM
Well, the stats all add up to zero, so that's not too bad (and he does take a hit in STR and CON, two combat skills, so that's something), but I think he does need some sort of drawback for that high DR and built-in weaponry. Maybe require him to take a feat to use those weapons of his, or make him particularly vulnerable to some other kind of weapon in exchange for that DR....

I don't know... not very original ideas, but in any case, I think he definitely needs something to offset those built-in advantages. It doesn't have to be debilitating, though.

Bombaatu
10 May 2002, 09:37 AM
I would reduce the blade's damage to either 1d4 or 1d6 each, and impose the dual-weapon penaties (considering the secondary blade to be light) - appropriate feats would modify those penalties.

The jumping distance is a bit much without any limiting factors. One thing I would say is that he could have the jumping effect of the Burst of Speed feat (but not the speed effect), provided he pays the 4 Vitality cost and it's a full-move action, the same as the Burst of Speed feat. This usage would *not* show up as Force use, however.

GM_kojo
10 May 2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your input, I Really apreciate your advice.

lrdgrifter
13 May 2002, 07:55 AM
GM_kojo, remember that YOU are the GM.
If you decide for ANY reason that the race is unbalanced in your mind, it won't fit in to the campaign, or you just plain don't like it, you reserve the right to disallow it.
Personally, I don't allow my players to create ANYTHING. I give them the opportunity to give input on the direction they want the campaign to go, both in sweeping storylines and personal character development, but to give a player something as large as an entire new race that you have to work into the campaign?
One more thing. How happy do you think this player will be if this scenario were to be presented. His character dies. He makes a new one. Everything goes along just fine, until the race (s)HE created starts invading neighbor systems, and the group is forced to deal with that natural DR and arm blades?
My guess is that you'll have a bunch of players around the table screaming, "that's not fair!!!"
Just a "devil's advocate" view for ya.:)

farr0095
13 May 2002, 08:29 AM
I agree with Irdgrifter, you are the one in charge. But, you can let him have the stats, but then make him have a racial enemy, or perhaps he's ultra susceptible to a rare disease, like Twi'leks in New Jedi Order.

You could also determine he is a gas-breather, and has to wear special eye and breathing gear. That might explain the low strength and constitution.

I'd also say that if he has a DR5 to energy weapons, physical attacks against him are at +3 to +5.

For jumping, make it so that he has that ability naturally, but he can't swim well or something.

He sounds to me a lot like a grasshopper, so maybe the racial enemy is something that can fly while he jumps and attacks physically.

If you allow him advantages, then give him disadvantages. My favorite example is from d6 days. A "by the book" starting character as a Verpine could end up having 9D in any technical skill. That's so huge that it could be hard to off-set. However, with that type of skill, he could be the most demanded-for tech in the Alliance, always going into the most dangerous situations to save the day. The Imperials might target him with large bounties because of his skills as well.

But, again as lrdgrifter said, you're the GM. It's your call in the end.

Korris
13 May 2002, 12:22 PM
Call me ruthless, but when my players want to create a race, I expect a 4 thousand word essay detailing their ecology, the habitat, outlook to aliens and the rest of the Galaxy, any Key events that have changed the course of said alien species history etc etc.
Its no mean thing creating a race.

Ive had alot of players see it as a vice to create the ultimate race for their character concept etc, and very few look at it from a roleplaying point of view.
You would be suprised how many people are willling to right such a small essay to justify it. In my 12 years of Gm'ing it, Ive only had one player that went ahead with it, and it really did make an intresting character to play.

Hope that helps....
Oh and remember your Judgement is final, and dont fall into the trap of letting players try it out...because that try never seems to end and its more difficult to take an ice cream away from a baby than it is to simply say no. ;)

Aaron B'Aviv
13 May 2002, 06:27 PM
To a certain degree, I agree with Korris.

It's not so important the stats of the species. They can be balanced or not, and that's something to worry about, but you can always send more powerful enemies against them if the enemies are too easy.

The important thing is the information about the species. What does the species look like? Why has it evolved a DR against energy weapons? Why does it have calcium blades? Why is it weak and lacks constitution? What cultural factors influence the roleplay?

The interesting thing about creating the writeup, I've discovered, is that species seem to balance out. You can easily find something that they're better at and worse at, if you've done a half way decent job of the writeup. Perhaps their calcium blades are like a rabbit's teeth- they're always growing, and if you don't file them down regularly ( a difficult process), they are ineffective weapons. Perhaps the calcium blades are an adaptation that they only use during one season of the year, and so before that season, they need a lot of calcium in their diet in order to grow strong calcium blades. Who knows? All I know is that ideas like this will spring up like grass, if you take the time to figure out what makes the species unique.