PDA

View Full Version : Updates on Server Status

Nealos
12 May 2002, 08:31 PM
Hey all, this is a thread to find my updates on the status of our new server for Starwars-rpg.net. Please keep comments in here to that topic and nothing else, for organization's sake.

My current update - this coming week, I'll be creating an account on our new server for Starwars-rpg.net. I will not transfer the domain yet; instead, I'll be passing the IP to Chris Curtis so that he may begin fiddling with it. To empower his fiddling (that sounded bad) I'll see about getting PHP installed. Since I have no clue what that takes, I'll report back on what I find out about that. I seem to recall it's rather easy, so I don't expect any problems there.

Past that, wait for the next update! :)

Chris Curtis
12 May 2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah, installing PHP is pretty simply, Nealos. Just putting the files somewhere and configuring the web server to use the PHP parser to parse PHP files (gee, imagine that...).

Quick couple of questions, which you may or may not know the answer to right now:
1) Is it a UNIX or Windows-based system?
2) What web server is it running? Apache?

Beyond that, I look forward to "fiddling" with the server. Oh, Tim, we'll also need a MySQL database installed on the server...

Nealos
17 May 2002, 09:47 PM
My next update...

I'm hoping my partner can help me this weekend get the account created so that we can start fiddling. This would have been done weeks ago if I were able to do this myself. :)

I currently have no idea what sort of server it is in terms of OS or server software. We'll know soon though!

Chris, does it cost anything to install mySQL? I believe it doesn't, and is an easy thing to do, but want to make sure. Thanks!

Chris Curtis
18 May 2002, 08:14 AM
Glad to hear it may be ready soon, Nealos. :)

As for MySQL, you are correct that it's free. It's an open-source database and you can find info (and a download) on their site here:
http://www.mysql.com/

Similarly, PHP is also free and easy to install:
http://www.php.net/

If you can, you might also install ImageMagick, which allows some great image manipulation features that will probably be useful for SWAG:
http://www.imagemagick.org/

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

evan hansen
19 May 2002, 08:36 PM
mysql? php? imagemagick?

someone's a *nix nerd. ;-)

-Evan-

Nealos
22 May 2002, 12:39 PM
Ok, play nice everyone... LOL

As an added update, Chris Curtis and I are currently involved in testing out the new account. I've moved a copy of the site to our new server and we're fiddling with it. This new account is not public at this time, and we're currently still serving the public site off our old server.

More soon...

Nealos
3 June 2002, 09:01 PM
Here's the most current update...

As many of you know, I'm seeking to move starwars-rpg.net to a server my company owns. This would have been done by now, but starting almost two weeks ago we began experiencing extreme serving problems. Suffice to say we're in a transition period that is going no less than horrible...

In addition to that TEMPORARY setback, I will be out of town from the 14th to the 23rd of this month. Combined with the server setback, I estimate having starwars-rpg.net up, running and with the new content management system integrated before the second week of July. That date has a lot of padding in it, as it could happen this week, next week or whatever. Lots of things are up in the air at work right now...

Anyway, the good news is that this is TEMPORARY. It's challenging for me to arrange what we need because we'll be running a lot of technologies at once on a single server, so I need to produce a server that is robust enough to handle the load. At least we don't have to pay for this luxury - we could be shelling out a lot of money if we had to pay for the upcoming space and capabilities.

It's taking a little doing, but boy will it be worth it! Besides, I suppose we can take a little time on all of it since it's summer, people are taking vacations and whatnot, etc. - we can all take some time to get everything hammered out in terms of the Journal, the server, SWAG and everything else in between.

Thanks, and more soon!

Matt Richard
3 June 2002, 09:57 PM
"But this date has a lot of padding..."
May I ask what type of padding, the comfortable "I want to sleep on this" kind, or the "Bought it at a cheap store" kind.:D

Whatever type of padding, we are all waiting in anticipation, and will be glad when the whole "server switch, Matt has no idea what youre talking about" thing is done.

So, the Journal will definately come out in July?

Either way, good job, and continue with the good work.

BRodgers
4 June 2002, 04:42 AM
Sounds good Nealos !!!

I think everyone is waiting in extreme anticipation for StarWars-Rpg.Net's new roll out, the "new and improved" Online Journal and the addition of SWAG to the community...it's a very exciting time ...almost like Christmas in the summer!:D

BRodgers
26 June 2002, 04:57 AM
Heya Nealos ,

I know you just got back from your trip but I was wondering if you had any new info on the new server or anything like that.

Thanks!!:D

Nealos
30 June 2002, 10:33 AM
Status so far: I have the new account set up, I got PHP running on the box, but may have trouble getting mySQL running. We may have to use MS SQL... working on that right now.

More later,

Chris Curtis
9 July 2002, 12:16 PM
Popping in to relay a message from Nealos. To paraphrase:

<blockquote>They've had some critical server foul-ups over the last 2-3 weeks, which is why the delay has occured. However, in about a week and a half, they'll have two brand new servers arriving and set up. There shouldn't be any problems with having mySQL loaded to one of them.</blockquote>

So it looks like we'll be seeing some movement on this issue soon. Stay tuned for more info as we get it.

Darklighter
14 July 2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Chris Curtis
So it looks like we'll be seeing some movement on this issue soon. Stay tuned for more info as we get it.

Hurray! This is great news for those of us anxiously awaiting the Journal's return. Yay, Nealos and Chris! Sounds like you guys are in the final stretch. :)

Nealos
16 July 2002, 09:05 PM
I'm pleased to report that we received our new servers today. It'll be several more days for setup, but we're well on our way now!

I'm really excited about it all. You'll think I'm weird, but for an IT professional, few things smell better than new servers. :)

More soon! Keep that fire alive - we're almost there. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to hit me at work - tim.salam@essemble.com.

Take care and May The Force Be With You