PDA

View Full Version : Yuuzhon Vong and Novels

Korris
13 May 2002, 11:56 AM
Probably wrong Forum to post this but it all depends on your own point of view as Obi Wan would say.
I Currently Gm a group that started Spot on the Destruction of Alderaan. They saw it blow up...then wanted to get off the Death Star out of revulsion of what the Empire did, not knowing If they had lived a lie all their life since they Joined Compnor Sub-Adult Group.
Now from there My players have journeyed through the timeline, and will keep on going. Now they are level 11 characters and Theyre helping Commander Skywalker set up the Rebel Base on Hoth.
Where Am I going with this?
Well these players will keep on going through the timeline and will end up in The New Jedi Era.
Now Im not going to turn this into a "What do we do at level 20 thread" Since thats being raged elsewhere.
I just want peoples opinions and help.
First off Stick with 20th characters that far, or restart For New Jedi Era?

Either way Ill need to learn about the New Jedi Era, and havent got a clue where to start, which novel to read first etc. (it will be awhile till I need them, but Ill want to know my New Jedi Era by the time my players get there).

Anyone able to point me to the right book? Or a Place where I can be told ? Id prefer chronological order as it occurred. theres nothing confusing on reading something that I havent read about yet..understand? ;)

Much appreciated.

Ps Didnt want to post in New Jedi Era forum..too scared on finding some catastrophic spoiler for the Era, Like the Yuuzhon Get defeated or something ;)

Thanks

farr0095
13 May 2002, 12:14 PM
Vector Prime is the first in the series, and a decent read. You can probably find it at your library.

If you're looking for general overviews of the novels and stats to boot, the NJOSB covers the series and gives a synopsis of every book from Vector Prime through Star by Star (which is considered by some to be perhaps the best SW book ever).

I hope this helps.

Shannon

Korris
13 May 2002, 12:36 PM
Thankyou sooo much ;)
I guess Im off to the library tomorrow..or maybe the book store.

Aaron B'Aviv
13 May 2002, 06:35 PM
A decent read? Well, that's arguable. Personally, I didn't like Vector Prime much. And the general consensus tended to agree with me. So you might like it, you might not. Take that into consideration.

The reason I'm posting this, though, is to make sure you don't get discouraged by the beginning of the NJO. I've often lamented about this. The first 4 or 5 NJO books are mediocre. Not terrible, but not special. After that, once you get to James Luceno's books, they're a little bit better than average. After that are Gregory Keyes's books. Starting with Greg Keyes's second book, the series becomes really excellent.

Now, why this is, I don't know. All I know is that a lot of people were turned off the series before they got to Star by Star, which is up there right below Zahn's work in my opinion. And it's a damn shame. Please don't give up before you get to Star by Star. If you don't like Star by Star, I give you permission to give up on the NJO. Not before then.