PDA

View Full Version : Padawan GM

Burner
14 May 2002, 03:52 AM
I am starting a campaign this Saturday and I have one of my players wanting to be a jedi. I am startign all the characters at first level and have a question I need a little clarification on.

Since a jedi isn't realy a Jedi until level 7, but just a Padawan with a master, how do you GMs treat this aspect in your gaming groups? Do you have the higher level master travel around with the group or do you have the learner do missions for the master?

Here is one more piece of information you might want in order to answer my question. I am running my campaign about a month after Episode I. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Ash
14 May 2002, 04:01 AM
I usually play my master as an NPC, as the character levels I'll pull back the NPC's presence. Look at Obi-Wan and Anakin in the new movie, Anakin is still a padawan but is given permission to protect Amidala on his own. (At least that's what I think, haven't seen the movie or RCR yet). For my own campaign the first mission was a dispatch from the Jedi Council which partnered the padawan PC with an interim Jedi Master due to the fact that his real master was missing on an expedition for the Council. During a crash landing on a remote planet the interim Master was killed leaving the padawan to complete the mission with the other players. He was later reunited with his true Master and proceeded on to the title of Jedi Knight. After that his Master went on his own destiny.:D

Good luck with your campaign!

Korris
14 May 2002, 08:07 AM
Korris Velte, my jedi character grew up on Tattooine with his father (He moved there with his sister when his mother was killed during the Jedi purges on Coruscant). From an early age his father recognised his talents and revealed to him that he was infact a Jedi also who fell in love with his mother, also a Jedi. However he was just young and inexperienced in the ways of the force and was soon forgotten in the shadow of his wife, Vima. Korris's father did infact help Obi Wan and Yoda in the past, but they all swore to silence of each others existance. Korri's father died recently having not completed his training, his death of natural causes. However it left a newly trained padawan with a deep secret, noone, not even his sister knew of that training he received.
Although some time later Korris caught up to Yoda, who told him no more training he needed. He has been aware of him for some time.
(He was a level 11 Jedi Knight by that time) But its also ponders the question or am I blowing my own trumpet...
"That boy is our last hope" -Obi Wan
"No there is another" - Yoda, [Empire Strikes back]

Lord Diggori
16 May 2002, 05:26 AM
Burner, I think is best to let the padawan do many things on his own. Nothihng can frustrate a palyer more than having a higher level NPC along that can do most anything the PC can't. Kinda makes you as the GM look like a glory-hog. Especially in a combat where the master skews the average party level so the bad guys are kicking PC butt yet the master, several levels higher, looks like the star cause he's easily handling things.

However, having the master across the galaxy kinda down plays the whole student/teacher relationship, which is a great dramatic device.

The best solution in my opinion is to have the padawan accompany the master but when the actual adventure starts split them up so they can "cover more ground". The master can seek out other story goals off camera while the padawan and the rest of the party handle other things (things more appropriate to their level).

Burner
16 May 2002, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the help.

I think what I am going to do is have an NPC master and imply there are story elements he is involved in during the adventures so I don't unbalance the game. I think he will get more involved in the adventures that are not as action/combat focused. He could act more the teacher in the brain teaser adventures, acting as an observer to the padawan.

Doing this will add a little more planning on my part but that is why I love to be GM. B)

Again, thanks for the suggestions, and have a great time when you get the chance to see Episode II. Woohoo!!

Jedi_Staailis
16 May 2002, 12:38 PM
I've always found this situation extremely difficult to GM. Clearly, a NPC Jedi Master will unbalance the combat dynamic of the party. Having no master clashes with continuity. Splitting up is also unrealistic. You're going to be continually putting PCs in life threatening situations. A Master isn't just going to leave his/her Padawan or let the Padawan get into trouble by him/herself.

In certain campaigns, I've gotten around this by having the Master killed early. This only works if the Padawan will end up out of contact with the rest of the Jedi. For example, in my latest campaign, a group of three Padawans (the PCs) were going with a single Master (a temporary arrangement) on an easy diplomatic mission. As it turns out, the whole scenario has been cooked up by Palpatine as a Jedi killing trap. The ship is attacked, and crash lands. The Master dies in the crash, and the Padawans are left to fend for themselves on the planet, unable to contact the Jedi for assistance.

DarthGM
17 May 2002, 09:11 AM
I'm running a game where my 3 Jedi PCs tend to "alternate masters"; every once in a while they accompany one of their masters on a mission while the other masters are required to perform missions where a padawan would be in danger or more than one jedi is not feasible for the assignment. Occasionally the Master is around for combats, and they usually cut swathes through thugs while the PCs take on the big baddie.

Example: I had a Dark Side Marauder Bounty Hunter who was partaking in a Black Sun "Open Season on all Jedi" contract. She targeted the PCs because they were easier kills (she thought) and let her grunts occupy the Master's time.

Have the Master around in combat only to support the PCs. My PCs love a good +6 Dex bonus from Master Mind while they pound on the Sith-Lord-du-jour.

(Ok, I don't really have Sith-Lord-du-jours, but you get my meaning.)

Always remember that the PCs get the spotlight and they'll remain loyal to you. A good plot never hurts either...}=]>