PDA

View Full Version : The EU HAS BEEN DESTROYED!!!!

BGKnight44
16 May 2002, 04:10 PM
Ok I'm sure all of you have seen it!
I'm not going to go into specifics until tomorrow, but I'm sure many of you understand why I have declared the Expanded Universe has been completely turned upside down. 8o
Please, someone anyone, tell me I'm just imagining this!
:?

Nova Spice
16 May 2002, 04:26 PM
I'm perplexed to be honest......what are you talking about? :raised: :?
Elaborate soon because I'm interested in what you have to say. I'm assuming this has something to do with Episode II? I'll wait until you let us know what is going on, since I am a fan of the EU!

Reverend Strone
16 May 2002, 05:33 PM
I guess it depends on what the EU means to you. It doesn't bother me much because I've always seen the EU as something to distract me while I wait for the next movie. Canon/noncanon arguements asside, the ultimate reference has always been the films. If some of the EU stuff (and there's so much of it) isn't quite consistent with what we saw in Ep II, I wouldn't loose too much sleep.

Superdog
16 May 2002, 05:43 PM
************************SPOILERS************************************************ ***

At the very least you can kiss the galaxy map goodbye, everything Zahn said about clones, Boba Fett's origins, and the origins of the Death Star.

Bookmaker221
16 May 2002, 05:45 PM
As much as I enjoy several aspects of the EU, I have to say that the fact that Lucas forewent the EU explanations and actually tried to put purpose behind other movie elements doesn't bother me in the least. So a couple of books don't really work right anymore? I really don't see anything wrong with that. The EU, when everything comes down, is nothing more than a continuation of the movies. If Lucas, the person who created the frelling SW franchise decides that something needs to be changed, then so be it.

Despite all the branches, Star Wars is ultimately a movie. Quite honestly, the changes Lucas made improve the flow of the movies. The fact that several plot points from Star Wars material once and twice removed is of little concern.

DirkGreystoke
16 May 2002, 09:31 PM
As a firm hater of 70-80% of the EU, I love it when Lucas wipes it out. Besides, Lucas' explanations are better than the ones in the books anyways. Oh and you guys missed one.

When Anakin is on Naboo, Sio Bibble says that the Republic has not been in a war since its formation. This eradicates all the Jedi/Sith wars the Republic fought in in the Tales of the Jedi comics.

Ferretz
16 May 2002, 10:25 PM
I agree. I only like some of the EU that's out there, and that's mostly the storyline after Return of the Jedi. What I think is silly is when some writers see one background character one instant in a movie, and then go on to write a book or comic about him/her. Well, I did like Quinlan Vos in Twilight, . Anyway, I don't mind at all that Lucas writes the EU into oblivion. The movies will always be the only canon for me.

-E.

Mjolner
16 May 2002, 11:50 PM
Everytime I see something that doesn't really fit I just think "oh well, there's probably a tie-in or explanation we don't know about" or in the cases where it REALLY doesn't fit, the movies are what counts and the rest are just rumors or missunderstandings and such.

Oh, and doesn't Palpatine say something about that "the Republic has lasted for a thousand years" or so? I'm sure I have seen stuff about Republic being older then that. Or am I remembering wrong in one way or another?

I know that the game "Knights of the Old Republic" is set 3000 or 4000 years before the movies, so wouldn't that indicate the Republic being older? Especially since the game is published by, althought not made by, Lucas Arts.

grizzly
17 May 2002, 02:46 AM
Ok, so a few things have been turned around a bit by Ep2.
Lessee... the Death Star... It's still 22 years in the timeline until it makes an appearance in the galaxy. Who here can say exactly what it was that Dooku was given? Was it a design concept? Complete schematics? Some sort of work in progress? Noone can answer that, so it still leaves room for "others" ie EUs Bevel Lemelisk to have some involvement to some degree.
Boba Fetts origins... After seeing how Obiwan didn't seem too fond of clones in ANH it appears to me that they're about as popular as Jarjar is to most people after TPM. If you were him , and someone started spreading all sorts of rumours about you ie the "Journeyman Protector" or Ex Stormtrooper named "..." would you correct them and say "Well no actually.... I'm a clone"? How much work would he end up getting? None I'd say, he'd be too busy running!

As for the timeline, maybe they're working on the Republic post Sith age.. in TPM the council said they had been extinct for a Millenia, which is how long Palpatine is now saying the Republic has been around.

Nerpine the Verpine
17 May 2002, 06:05 AM
I also thought there was another piece of EU destroyed by Ep II. Possible spoiler!!!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!!

(That should do it)

I seem to recall in one of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy that Mara Jade made some remark to Luke that Vader (i.e. Anakin) lost his right hand as punishment for his mistake in letting the first Death Star be destroyed. Yet we see Anakin lose not just his hand but his arm to Count Dooku's very cool looking lightsaber.
Maybe I misinterpreted the line in Zahn's book:o

Armadious
17 May 2002, 06:40 AM
Nerpine that was in a Stackpole book - between a shuttle pilot and Loor I think.

Mjolner
17 May 2002, 09:11 AM
Well, it's with Anakin's lost hand as it is with Boba Fett's origin...there's one truth and probably lots of rumors. In other words...we see in the movie how it really is, and what is said in the EU material is just rumors, hearsay and similar.

In a way it makes it all more believable, since real life is full of hearsays and rumors about how something happened, but there's generallyonly one truth...ands that truth might be far from what the rumors make you believe it is.

Tramp
17 May 2002, 11:03 AM
quote by Dirk Greystoke: "When Anakin is on Naboo, Sio Bibble says that the Republic has not been in a war since its formation. This eradicates all the Jedi/Sith wars the Republic fought in in the Tales of the Jedi comics."

Actually Dirk, he says that the Republic hasn't been in a full scale war since its formation. not just a war. Therefore the Tales of the Jedi are still valid.

Kobayashi_Maru
17 May 2002, 03:36 PM
Many of the truths we cling to, depend on our point ot view!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Wade Trenor
17 May 2002, 06:08 PM
I agree that a lot is hearsay and rumour. Palpatine is a Sith - he'll say anything that gets him more power and loyalty.

The full-scale war bit is valid too. I thought it was only the Teta (sp?) system that was the focus of the attack.

Any info on the clones would surely be bogus, as Palpatine wouldn't want anyone else with the power to build an army of such a size in only a few years - or replicate his ability to transfer his essence to a cloned body of himself.

Jedi_Staailis
17 May 2002, 06:45 PM
SPOILERS

Who cares about the EU? My campaign is being wrecked by Episode II! :D (Well, truthfully, I managed to come up with an explanation, but that's another story.)

Episode II really shook a lot of the EU at the foundations. I remember talking to other friends/fans before the movie who spoke with absolute conviction about EU. I tried to warn them gently that Episode II could very well mess up a lot of what's been published thus far. I haven't gotten the chance to ask them what they think about the effect on EU, we're still talking about Yoda's scene in AotC.

As for Tales of the Jedi, I'm not familiar with it beyond what I've read in the Essential Chronology. However, from AotC we learn that the Republic has relied on the Jedi for protection. In my opinion, a Jedi conflict of that magnitude can be considered nothing but a war.

Tramp
19 May 2002, 11:22 AM
You're correct, it was a war. Just not a full scale war that encompassed the entire galaxy. It was limited in its scope to only a few systems around the where the Republic met the area that the Sith Empire used to be. It didn't involve the rest of the Galaxy at all.

munchkin man
19 May 2002, 10:21 PM
Anyone else notice the thread starter hasn't come back to clarify wh the EU is wrecked... I'm interested to hear it!!!

BrianDavion
20 May 2002, 07:58 AM
*SPOILERS*

To put it blunted E2 has a LOT of stuff in it that shakes some of the foundations about the EU.. such as the death star etc...

Rigil Kent
20 May 2002, 08:32 AM
So who's to say the Kaminoans aren't using Spaarti cylinders? Mayhap they designed them in the first place, eh?

Superdog
20 May 2002, 01:13 PM
Spaarti cylinders take a year to grow a fully healthy clone, in the movie, it takes ten years. Also clones from Spaarti tanks go insane because they have the same force signature as someone else, or something like that. Obviously that didn't happen in the movie. This could be explained away, quite easily in fact, by saying that Spaarti tanks were developed as a way to grow clones faster, but weren't used because the clones were unstable, until Thrawn found a way. The biggest break from EU, though, was the Galaxy map it showed. You could see what looked like two little galaxys off to side. That doesn't really make sense.

grizzly
21 May 2002, 03:05 AM
On the cloning subject, what size/age are the clones that a Spaarti cylinder produces? Are we talking babies still or fully grown adults ready to whack stormie armour on and go for it? The film shows "children" basically doing school type stuff learning how to take names and kick butt, so I'd work on the basis of Kaminoan clones being "born" as babies, but then growing to adult size/age in 10 years.
The rapid aging in a clone tank could be the cause of the later clones instability.

The galaxy map as we know of it in the EU is what is known to the "current" government. The Unknown Regions and Wild Space still take up a fair amount of room in the galaxy. As Jocasta Nu said "If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist" (AotC novelization p160) and I have little reason to believe that Palpatine would let the Jedi Temple stand for long once he declares himself Emperor. The Heir to the Empire series also has a more complete version of the galaxy map than is known to the heros at the time, so following that through, it's plausible that Palpatine erased or caused to be erased whole sections of the galaxy map for his own purposes, with his own archives having the only complete version.
So... those 2 little galaxys off to the side?? Unknown Regions anyone??

Nazgul
21 May 2002, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Superdog
The biggest break from EU, though, was the Galaxy map it showed. You could see what looked like two little galaxys off to side. That doesn't really make sense.

Its not uncommon for galaxies to have smaller galaxies orbiting them, especially large spiral galaxies. Our galaxy has over a dozen; the Large and Small Magellianic clouds the two most widely known. Aside from that, our galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy are a binary pair which are slowly moving towards each other. They could also be large galaxies off in the distance, remember the map is only a 2D projection and things can be distorted.

Superdog
21 May 2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Nazgul

Its not uncommon for galaxies to have smaller galaxies orbiting them, especially large spiral galaxies. Our galaxy has over a dozen; the Large and Small Magellianic clouds the two most widely known. Aside from that, our galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy are a binary pair which are slowly moving towards each other. They could also be large galaxies off in the distance, remember the map is only a 2D projection and things can be distorted.

I feel dumb now.

Nazgul
22 May 2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Superdog
I feel dumb now.

Sorry :(, that wasn't my intent. Just give an another possible explination. :)

Armadious
22 May 2002, 09:40 AM
I would have felt dumb, but I have a neat National Geographic poster next to my computer that has all that good stuff on it. As for runining the map, IMO the EU one was not that good in the first place, so now perhaps we will get a good one.

Superdog
22 May 2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Nazgul

Sorry :(, that wasn't my intent. Just give an another possible explination. :)

Don't feel bad. That's what happens when everything you know about space is from a one week astronomy unit in science class.

Emperor3171
25 May 2002, 11:23 AM
I have to agree that the EU is missed up by Ep II, but this is not a bad thing. The EU is ok in some respects, but KJA (who is now destroying Dune from what I hear), the endless parade of SuperWeapons, and the horrid non-SW feel of the Vong from NJO just top the list. Zahn's stuff and some of the other stuff was interesting, but I'll take GL's views anytime.

Arbitan
27 May 2002, 11:09 AM
When Anakin is on Naboo, Sio Bibble says that the Republic has not been in a war since its formation. This eradicates all the Jedi/Sith wars the Republic fought in in the Tales of the Jedi comics.

Yes, but you overlook the fact that Sio Bibble is an idiot.

"A communications disruption can mean only one thing, invasion!"

Yeah, or it can mean your transmitter is down, your comm officer is asleep, or a hundred other possibilities.

And as stated before, the Sith War only involved several worlds, not "thousands of systems" like Episode 2 mentions.

VixenofVenus
27 May 2002, 08:21 PM
I agree .... Sio Bibble is an idiot.

Anyway ... I really don' t understand this discussion ... isn't the whole reason its called the Expanded Universe is because it's George Lucas's Universe and he learned to keep tight reins on it after what happened to Gene Roddenberry. I mean ... I've read maybe two or three Star Trek books and I think one of them was ok, the other two just sucked (kinda like Star Trek V). While I love the shows, I am still a 2nd Generation fan, so I like stuff that is more post-movies and not the original series all so much ... but the EU equivalent in Star Trek just ... blows!

It does ... and that's why GL has a specific name for stuff that is not directly in the movies ... because he want's a definition that says ... hey, this stuff is cool and fun and neat ... but it isn't to be taken as true over the movies!

DirkGreystoke
27 May 2002, 11:03 PM
I agree with you Venus, except for STV. The only point that myself and others here are trying to make is simple...

One cannot use the EU to explain things in the films because they are entirely separate. The reasons for this is the George does not OK everything that goes into the novels and comics.

Aldaron
30 May 2002, 03:52 PM
Personally, I'll admit to a certain vicarious pleasure when GL blows something from the EU out of the water. It's sort of like listening to him say: "You think you know Star Wars? LOL...<i>this</i>, my friend, is how you do Star Wars!"

I've never been a fan of the EU stuff - admittedly, I've not read a lot of the novels (Zahn took care of that, but I'll get to that in a minute), but hearing about some of the outrageous things included in them have put me right off (The Sun Crusher is what? Oh, another Superweapon...*yawn*) - but I honestly don't see why GL should have to conform with stuff written by dozens of other (usually inferior) writers.

The only "non-canon" Star Wars novels I've ever read were <i>Splinter of the Mind's Eyes</i>, <i>Truce at Bakura</i> and Zahn's sequel trilogy (<i>Heir to the Empire</i>, etc).

SotME was terrific (but then I love ADF), TaB was enjoyable, and Zahn's trilogy...hmm. Let's see...Luke's just too powerful now, so what will we do? Will we create interesting political situations he can't solve with a lightsabre? Or will we magic-up some Force-negating critters...yeah! That's it.

Zahn's writing, unfortunately, put me completely off the EU, and nothing I've heard about Stackpole or Anderson or any of the others have inspired me in the slightest to read them. Zahn went the "quicker, easier, more seductive" path of a bad Game Master. When your players hit 15th level, the bad GM just keeps throwing bigger and nastier monsters at them.

The GOOD GM (and the good novelist, which Zahn ain't) doesn't do that. The good GM puts the PCs in a situation where they have to abide by the decisions and wishes of a 2-hit-point king or princess or something. In other words, put them out of their depth...not by giving them better monsters, or by arbitrarily removing what makes them special (as Zahn did), but by giving them situations that involve thinking their way out, as well as fighting.

The EU is dead? Yay! I say.
Long Live Lucas' Version of SW!

DirkGreystoke
30 May 2002, 10:29 PM
Well spoken. I am glad to finally see someone who views Zahn as I do. I agree with his poor treatment of Luke, and don't forget how he can't do his homework either (Luke and Wedge flew X-Wings in RED SQUARDRON NOT ROUGE SQUADRON, and Thrawn being an alien is just too much), and also whenever something happens in his books it is one of his characters, not Han or Luke, who gets the job done. I think the reason people love Zahn so much was the circumstances surrounding Heir to the Empirel. It had been a long time since any new SW stories came out, and people were hungry and accepted something subpar. The Stackpole novels are pretty good. He takes the opposite approach as Zahn. The only problem with Stackpole's books is that everybody is related to somone in the movies, but other than that they are believeable are pretty consistent with the films.

VixenofVenus
31 May 2002, 07:36 AM
Um ... by Ep5 they were flying in Rogue Squadron ... ever seen that movie!? Its the one that starts with ROGUE Squadron fighting on a planet in the Hoth System against the Empire ...

DirkGreystoke
31 May 2002, 09:27 AM
Rouge Squadron was a group of speeders. The name was never applied to starfighters. If you watch Return of the Jedi, Wedge's fighter group is referred to as Red Squadron or Red Group, NOT Rouge. And if I am not mistaken EPVI comes after EPV.

Tramp
31 May 2002, 09:45 AM
In RotJ Rogue Squadron decided to honor their lost comrads from the Battle of Yavin and go by the call sign Red Group for the Battle of Endor ONLY. In ESB they were called Rogue Squadron, and even though they flew speeders in the Battle of Hoth, they were all X-Wing pilots and part of the same squadron Rogue Squadron . And NO the EU and the Movies are NOT entirely seperate. Lucasfilm Licensing has continuously stated this time and time again. Only "INFINITIES" is completely seperated from the chronology of the movies. And NO the EU is certainly not dead by any means. Here's a little quote that should clear things up for everyone from Sue Rostoni of Lucasfilm Licensing :

"Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon." -Sue Rostoni, Editor Lucasfilm Licensing in Star Wars Gamer #6, Oct/Nov. 2001 Issue pg#113.

Tony J Case, Super Genius
31 May 2002, 03:15 PM
You know, the thing is - it doesnt matter in the long run. Read what you
want, ingore what you dont like and enjoy the rest. Lucas is going to do the story he wants, and what his vision is does not nessassarly fly at my game table (where *I* have the last word on continuty, not George.)

Life is too short to quibble over the small things.

VixenofVenus
31 May 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Tony J Case, Super Genius
You know, the thing is - it doesnt matter in the long run. Read what you
want, ingore what you dont like and enjoy the rest. Lucas is going to do the story he wants, and what his vision is does not nessassarly fly at my game table (where *I* have the last word on continuty, not George.)

Life is too short to quibble over the small things.

Exactly Tony. Exactly.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
2 June 2002, 12:04 AM
In the defense of EU ...

I'd like to ask: what and where was starwars being mentioned, come alive, and talked about since the 3 movies in the early 80's? what brouoght the surge and popularity of starwars back into and through the 90's ?

watching the 3 -5 movies over and over don't cut it for me. for countless hours i've spent in an alternate reality called star wars , reading above and beyond the movies.

Aside from the WEG game, it was the release of Zahn's heir to the Empire trilogy that brought SW back to popularity... after that, more books followed as people's thirst to read SW grew. since then, we've been enriched and cultured by a large amount of sw goodness to fill that spanse between the movies.

It would have been rather bland to stick only to the main cast we know of and as they go on adventures that didn't introduce anything new outside of the 3 movies.

Ya know, I love the EU universe, since it's not just about our few and only heroes. Its about continuing the story of the sw universe and providing us with more angles to experiance it from. The original heros will never be set aside, but also I find extra ones that only add to that list. Mara Jade, Talon Karde, Tom Phanon & Garik "Face" Loran, Gavin Darklighter, Coran Horn, Mirax Terik, Asyr, Aayla Secura to name a few.

What's funny is this: how can anyone enjoy the sw-rpg and make their own character to experiance in the sw universe aside from the main chars? that's half the concept of the EU, to enjoy sw in an expanded view in ways that the movies don't touch. The way GM's tailor their games with creativity for the players as heros is the same as the writers of the EU. Nor is it any different from the fanfics we write. I don't want to write about how luke & leia spent their time on the falcon as it hypered from bespin to the rebel fleet. I'd rather write about my chars and their backgrounds and adventures that don't have anything to do with the main movie cast.

But hey... as the others said above - enjoy what you want and ignore the rest.

Aldaron
2 June 2002, 05:08 AM
Hey, I'm not complaining about the <i>existence</i> of the EU...I'm complaining about the way it was pulled off.

I think the idea of a sequel trilogy to <i>Heir to the Empire</i> is a brilliant idea -- I just wish someone other than Zahn had written it. Someone with a little imagination, and willing to write <i>well</i>, rather than Zahn's bland, dry narration and unimaginative storyline.

I have absolutely <i>nothing</i> against having a million-and-one non-movie characters floating about, either. Again, that's great -- I just want them written well, not aimed at the same audience as Harry Potter.

As far as Red vs Rogue Squadron goes...the <i>first</i> mention of "Rogue" squadron is in ESB, <i>not</i> ANH. In ANH, witness the call-ins as they approach the Death Star:

"Red Two standing by."
"Red Eleven standing by"
"Red Five standing by" (Luke).

There is <i>nothing</i> canonical to suggest that Rogue Squadron was anything but one of the speeder squadrons defending Echo Base. Now, if you want to take it further than that, terrific...but it ain't canonical -- I've never read the Rogue Sqn series, but I imagine the stuff about "Rogue Sqn being re-named for the Battle of Endor" is something out of that, since there's nothing to indicate it on-screen.

technopooka
2 June 2002, 07:54 AM
Hmmm...Many time have I come to hear the rants and raves. Many times have I laughed at the things people have posted. I have sat and meditated on these things and these conclusions came to mind.

The movies although very good and many of them well done, only go so far at my game table. If a player brings up 'Well they didn't say that in the movie' I just pat him on the head like the ignorant fool that he is and tell him simple words of wisdom "STFU, I run the game not Lucas." I love what Lucas has done and I don't mind that he ignored other writers things. The simple fact is that he is the one writing the real story. Folks, Take what you want, Leave what ya want. It is your universe not anyone elses.

Second, I sit and watch the lines of text scroll by and all I see is arguing over this and that. There are some people that try to cool these rants off by giving their word of wisdom and they try to move on. People all we can do on these rant boards is agree to disagree. Who the hell made this board anyway? :D All it does is promote conflict and uses up precious bandwidth. I say that we all should boycott the Rant board and just present what Ideas that we have as a collective and let those precious words ring from the moutain top 'GAME ON!' And just let the dice hit the table and the bodies hit the floor. There is to little time to create the cool villains and gear and Locations to waste time ranting. So Follow me to a land that is free of ranting and conflict. A land where Kewl Post run freely and the gaming is splendid!

Oor just call me a kook and flame on I couldn't care less either way really. :D

Peace folks
Da Fabu,
Technopooka
Sugar Free Diet Shasta of Evil

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
2 June 2002, 07:33 PM
technopooka:

this section is solely for rants and raves ... to express opinions and prove points of the debate at hand ;) And we're all keeping civil about it, which is the cool part.

I'd rather have such a section in here than have these posts clog up the other sections of the holonet.

Aldaron:

good points indeed. If lucas did allow for publishing license to the authors to extend and continue from the movies, then it would have been good of lucas to keep a keener eye on things and how such books were writen. while not under lucas's direct eye, then at least from within a staf of continuity experts and sw fiction control.

If i remember correctly, the authors did get help and assistance from various sources including lucas's firm and from other fellow writers...

as for zahn, well... I thought it was creative to use the yslarmi(sp?) in the sense that how does a char perform and handle when his force powers are taken away... if the person dosn't fare well then perhaps thats a sign of using the force to much / being dependant on the force. Some books probably would be good as rpg game play, and others are just good to read.

All in all, nothing is ever gonna be perfect unless lucas personaly wrote each word in each book himself. with the range of authors, there is that bit of creativity that comes with it and the little fudged errors of details.

:)

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
8 June 2002, 08:23 PM
At the very least you can kiss the galaxy map goodbye, everything Zahn said about clones, Boba Fett's origins, and the origins of the Death Star.

•Galaxy Map - no problems, already been explained in this thread... possibly Magellanic Clouds (for lack of better descriptors) or faraway galaxies (maybe one is the Milky Way? ;) )

•Zahn's Clones - Lucas has said recently (I'll find the quote if you want it) that in Episode 3, in the very beginning, the Clone Wars end and the storyline of Episode 3 becomes very personal. Who's to say the Confederacy didn't order up some clones to fight on their side? That's how Zahn portrayed the clones anyhow (fighting against the Republic).

•Boba Fett - It's already been explained that the previous stories, many of them, are rumors spread by Fett to hide his true identity (though it is possible to fit all the stories together without the gaping holes you might expect)

•The Death Star - It's been explained in The Essential Guide to Characters Version 2 that this isn't really a problem. Bevel Lemelisk (the man the EU says designed the DS) was working on Geonosis... and remember Dooku says, "...planning to build..." The Geonosians haven't built it yet, which means it can still be built at the Maw.

In RotJ Rogue Squadron decided to honor their lost comrads from the Battle of Yavin and go by the call sign Red Group for the Battle of Endor ONLY. In ESB they were called Rogue Squadron, and even though they flew speeders in the Battle of Hoth, they were all X-Wing pilots and part of the same squadron Rogue Squadron

Yes, this is EU. But doesn't it make sense? What's the problem?

and
The full-scale war bit is valid too. I thought it was only the Teta (sp?) system that was the focus of the attack.

And Palps says "I will not let this Republic, which has stood for a thousand years, be split in two." The EU has already mentioned major restructuring of the galaxywide government at the time of the final Sith War, the one which ended a thousand years before ANH on Ruusan. No contradictions.

If anything, AotC has used far more EU material than any other film. Witness:

-Aayla Secura
-the name "Coruscant"
-Owen's Swoop bike (invented in the 70's for the Han Solo books... these in fact existed before RotJ
-"The Rishi Maze"( the planet Rishi is an EU invention)
-multiple saber colors (ok, it wasn't because of the EU that GL put a purple saber in, but it definately does not fly in the face of all things EU, it in fact supports the EU)

Gray Area
9 June 2002, 03:46 AM
Inconsistancies abound, this is not a religion my friends, take the things you like in the context tha works for your world and ignore that which upsets your fragile view of the Star Wars Universe. Personally I think that the new films should not be taken as gospel, work done by other talented people far exceeds the unchecked stupidity of a monarch gone mad.