PDA

View Full Version : Coruscant, Zhan or Lucas

Corlan Anders Jedi Knight
16 May 2002, 09:30 PM
Ok, here is an argument that me and my friends have. Who created Coruscant, George Lucas or Timoth Zhan. I say Lucas created it but they say different so maybe you people could help me out, and I could use some hard proof, like a direct quote or something. I have been researching but couldn't find it. Thanks for all the help.

grizzly
17 May 2002, 04:06 AM
My understanding is that Coruscant was first named such in the "Heir to the Empire" series, and references to the planet in GLs drafts was Imperial Center. My understanding is that ILM CG staff (can anyone confirm deny this?) were referring to the planet as Coruscant during production of TPM and GL took the name onboard, because it is appropriate to how the planet looks.

Dictionary defenition: coruscate vb. to emit flashes of light; sparkle. -coruscation n.
Therefore for the planet to be "Coruscant" it would be sparkly, which is how we see it on approach in Eps 1&2 :)

Edit: This is the link to the Starwars.com databank entry (http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/coruscant/bts.html) it's the behind the scenes page which describes the name changes the planet went through :)

Talonne Hauk
17 May 2002, 06:31 AM
I went to GenCon in '94, and Timothy Zahn was a featured guest. During a question and answer session, it was mentioned that we would see Coruscant in the new films and the special editions, and how did Zahn feel knowing that his name became official? Well, obviously, he was pleased as punch. Zahn created the name, Lucas created the planet.

Corlan Anders Jedi Knight
17 May 2002, 10:09 AM
So my friends and I were wrong and right. They actually said that Lucas couldn't think that up so when Zahn did, he stole it. It was a big long debate, and hopefully this will put a stop to it. Thanks