PDA

View Full Version : ? for Webmasters: OGL?

saucercrab
17 May 2002, 06:26 PM
I have a question about d20 gaming stats for Moridin, GM Sarli & the rest.

Since Star Wars d20 uses a variation of the d20 system rules, do you have to follow any of the guidelines in the Open Gaming License, like those who put DnD gaming material online? I'm curious because I've perused some of it & am just wondering if your material has to go through any of the same procedures.

Moridin
17 May 2002, 08:13 PM
Well, since we offer completely free content and aren't making money off of the site (we're in the hole a couple hundred dollars every year) it's really not OGL applicable. Besides, we do more to promote the game than detract from it, and most stuff falls into the fair use laws. Since we don't reprint any info that's actually been printed somewhere else, WotC isn't losing money because of us, so they have no need to pay attention to us. Technically, LFL could have shut down every SW website on the net, but they don't because we do more to promote their products than detract from them.

saucercrab
21 May 2002, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry, but what I was referring to was the use of the d20 system rules themselves to create new material, not anything to do with LFL or existing WotC material.

ENWorld.org had a few articles about guidelines & protocol that enthusiasts had to follow to put any DnD material online. Since the Star Wars rpg is now a sibling of DnD (both use the d20 system), I was curious if you have to (or just do) follow any of these rules at all.