PDA

View Full Version : Oh for the love of god...

Superdog
18 May 2002, 08:02 PM
I am amazed by the depths of human stupidity.
Read this:Story #2 (http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#16662)
and this:Story #1 (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=16654)
And finally:The Original Story (http://www.detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0205/18/d01-492788.htm)
At least controversy gets SW mentions on the evening news it wouldn't otherwise have. However, I now feel quite disappointed for the furutre of mankind.

Jedi_Staailis
18 May 2002, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I read about that on TheForce.Net. The arguments are weak, but some people, sadly, will believe them. I lived in Mexico for two years, and am familiar with the whole immigration argument, along with a number of other issues facing Mexico and the United States. I also speak enough Spanish to know the word camino. Did I notice anything I felt racially prejudiced during AotC? Absolutely not.

But enough with one person's experience of the film, let's also look at it logically. To qutoe, "Temuera Morrison, the actor who plays Jango, is a New Zealander of Maori descent." Yes, they are claiming that Lucas is racist against Latinos because of how a New Zealander is portrayed. It's completely absurd.

Jaggard
18 May 2002, 09:48 PM
They are a bunch of idiots. These are people trying to catch attention by pointing out things that arn't there. For the love of snot, they say Jar-Jar is racist about black stereo types, puh-lease (he's goofy, he's stereo typing clumbsy cartoon dog people :) ). First do you think the black actor who played him would have had a problem with it if it was. Or how about the fact that Boss nass who use the same phrases and and accent he seem to me to be more like an Italian american then black. Now a guy who isn't latino gets a roll as the father and trainer of one of the most famous Helmets in sci-fi history, and they scream latino stereo types. Then The whole sound alike word for walk; I still can't figure that out. You ever notice Mustard sounds like moose turd yet we still spread it on our sandwhiches. :mad:
I swear these people need to find other hobbies. Looking for racism in a movie where the most powerful Jedi that leads the council (who are possibly the most powerful people in the galaxy) is Samual L Jackson; one of my favorite actors (Dude if your listening sign me a picture of Mace and ship it to me):D .
I mean just following this argument is like a joke made by my five year old cousin. The name for the planet is the same as this word for... oh no it isn't? lets pretend it is, and this guy who plays a bounty hunter who are bad (no they are not they are freelancers who are neutral) is latino... he's not? well pretend he is. He's the origin of a clone army who are bad guys... They're not? they help the good guys? Where was i going with this?
While we are at it, the skinny people are long necked and there are some people who put rings on their necks to make them longer, lets cry about that. Or the tusken raider are dessert people who are know to cause trouble 8o oh no they are (fill in dessert dweller stereo types). And you know what else the arena scene condones cruelty to animals.
These people are the one that have too much time on their hands and over think things. These are the people that say everything that is longer then it is wide is Phalic (hopefully misspelled as I don't want to offend anyone).
Question- If Lucas were a minority would this even be an issue?
Hey how about this The Evil in all the movies is Paly he's white. Lucas hates white people 8o .
One thing was right, this thing is like an ink blot test. It's the disturbed that make all the noise about what most see as teddy bears and butterflies.
As I write this I'm trying not to cry. I love star wars and yet we have people trying to make it so everyone is afraid to do anything for fear of offending some one. They climb onboard because others have and soon they will convince other of these things and I wouldn't blame Lucas if he said to heck with you all and didn't make Ep3. I think all these people should offer an apology to Lucas.
And you know what I think we should all write something like this and send it to all the newspapers and tv networks that soil our media with this tripe and tell them we won't watch or read them anymore until they retract it.
For all you people who find fun or even fool yourselves into thinking your doing a public service, to do this I say go pick on something else. There has to be one thing out there that's totally innocent and good that you can ruin for all the little kids of the world.
I feel it's stupid to have to say it but otherwise someone might try to ignore me or think I'm spreading propaganda; so. I'm a minority to (but I am not say any more).

I can't believe I just blew up like that, I'm so embarassed.
Sorry folks.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
18 May 2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Jaggard
They climb onboard because others have and soon they will convince other of these things and I wouldn't blame Lucas if he said to heck with you all and didn't make Ep3. I think all these people should offer an apology to Lucas.

Hey, if he's publicly stated he doesn't listen to fans, I have doubts he'll put any wieght into what these people say.

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 May 2002, 02:34 AM
the url "Story #2" , farther down below on that same page, there is a small write up titled "Mixing up the Credits" ...

I'm not one to nit-pick, but reading the article was quite interesting...
The article was about how some of the credits were mixed up, and some names not listed as due credited for their parts in the movie... They were credited on the website during the production stages as "so & so who play so & so part", but not listed in the end of movie credits.

Whether this is true or not, I can't say as I don't have a photographic memory. However, if it were true then it would also be sad that such people hired to play small parts were not listed in the movie credits.

All in all, it's not a huge issue, and not worth complaining or crying about... read it, comment to yourself a bland "oh, hmm, how interesting..." and move on ;)

As for the stereo types the detroit news is stirring up... they've nothing better to do than put down a great movie. Give them as much credibility as the usual Tabloid mags who only want attention by writing such bogus nonsense, and think nothing more of it. And calmly move on ;)

Puck
20 May 2002, 02:13 AM
Stupid, stupid people.

I think that the most offensive thing in that article is the insult to the Maori people!

Have these dweebs in Detroit never heard of New Zealand?

I wonder what they'd make of "Once Were Warriors"?

Morons.

Puck. :|

Nerpine the Verpine
20 May 2002, 06:53 AM
I've heard it said before, and I can't help feeling it's true.

"We're a nation of 260 million special interest groups"

Everybody's got an opinion, but not everyone should be heard. Least of all people like them.

And what Jaggard said (about all this happening because GL is white) seems true. Spike Lee could do far worse and they'd sing his praises for being so artistic. I don't think these people realize it's just as racist to pick on white people for something they didn't do as it is to pick on other 'minorities'.:mad:

End of gripe.

dgswensen
20 May 2002, 09:57 AM
Gee, I wonder if anyone would have raised a fuss if, say, the clones had all been blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aryans. Yeah, that would have gone over great.

In other words, someone would have been offended no matter what. The only winning move is not to play.

scourgicus
20 May 2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by dgswensen
Gee, I wonder if anyone would have raised a fuss if, say, the clones had all been blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aryans. Yeah, that would have gone over great.

That would have been mortifying.

You know, I hate critics. Most of them have no talent, no brains, and no understanding of epic storywrighting. ::feeds Detroit critics to pet Rancor, Fluffy::

Superdog
20 May 2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by scourgicus
You know, I hate critics. Most of them have no talent, no brains, and no understanding of epic storywrighting. ::feeds Detroit critics to pet Rancor, Fluffy::
No Offense to any one who reviews movies, but a large portion of "professional" movie reviewers disgust me.
"Professional" critics-for the most part- are a pretentious lot who feel that they are "important" and people should listen to them and do as they say for some reason. The best reviews are where it just breaks down what is good and isn't and gives detailed reasons. Nobody respects a reviewer whos says: This movie was bad. Action was bad. Acting Bad. Everything Bad.
A review like that gives no information, and is essentially worthless. And don't even get me started on reviewers that state things in their review that they a.misundestood or b. didn't understand or has got his events and charectors all messed up. I don't expect someone who reviews, say a Star Wars film or Spiderman to go out and read some books and comics as background info, but they should at least pay attention well enough to know which charectors are which.

Mjolner
20 May 2002, 03:32 PM
I think people who try to find racist material in Star Wras are looking in the wrong place entierly, or at least looking in the wrong way.

The a look at the Empire...it's like smashing together Nazi Germany with the American South (The Confedracy), from our own history. They're prejudiced against all things that aren't of their main race - humanity.The officers wear grey, "Nazi looking" uniforms, and the stormtroopers DO look a bit like their armors were KKK-inspired.

The Rebels, however, is made up of a coalition that goes over planetary, philosophical and racial boundries.

In the end the Rebels win over the prejudiced Empire...and that if anything should send a POSITIVE message about "anti-rascism" and cooperation over the borders that people set up.

Am I right or wrong? Isn't that the BIG message behind Star Wars tolerance and cooperation?

As for the choice of actor for Jango Fett, Lucas couldn't have picked better. Morrison looks every way as rough and dangerous as you'd expect any of the Fetts to be. I was impressed that Lucas had found someone who looked "right" even out of the armor! My only possible gripe is that I was under the impression that Boba Fett spoke with a british accent, but that's minor.

Oh, and I agree with just about everything you gusy have said above. Especially Superdog's bit about movie critics and dgswensen's bit about if the clones had been "blond-haired and blue-eyed". Now THAT would have raised a hellstorm of critisism!

As i see it, Lucas probably found the look and acting skills he was looking for in Morrison. Then it was just natural to make all the clones look like that too. Wouldn't it have been more offensive if he made all the clones look different and be of a different race then Jango?

Anyway....that's my rant. Heh, I didn't even think people could me narrow-minded and pathetic enough to make up that kind of crap and at the same time miss the big scope of what Star Wars is about.

Bjorn
20 May 2002, 10:59 PM
Personally, I find nothing offensive about the movie. Like several others have said, some people just need things to complain about.

I'm Mexican-American and found nothing in the movie racist. Odd how a paper from Detroit, a city far to the north (and far from Mexico) is the one reporting this. When I saw Jango, Boba or the clone army, I didn't think they looked anything like Mexicans. What, just because they're darked skinned makes them Hispanic? To me that sounds like they're the ones stereotyping. And so what if the planet name resembels Camino? No one said anything 20 years ago when Lando's co-pilot in the Falcon was really speaking an African dialect. Why is it that peope who want everyone to be treated the same are teh sameones that often look for all the differences in everyone? Maybe they feel insecure about something or just need the attention.

Personally, I just don't understand it. If Mr. Lucas was racist, I doubthe would have chosen Jimmy Smits to play Bail Organa. And you guys are right. If the clones would have all been blond haired and blue eyed, the same people would have claimed that there wasn't enough diversity in the film.

These people should enjoy the film for what it is. Good storytelling.

I should stop here. I can go on and on about this. ;) Thanks for letting me rant.

Bjorn the Stout

GreenCape
23 May 2002, 06:12 AM
One popular gripe about movie critics is that they're like eunuchs (sp?): they know how it should be done, but they can't actually do it :D

Okay, i've actually read the so-called news story now, and i reckon it's just the same old stuff: they're bored out of their minds and want more attention, so they invent a problem that wasn't there before and then point to it and say: "Look everybody, here's a problem. Aren't we good!"

Kobayashi_Maru
23 May 2002, 11:32 PM
Humans split-hairs on silly things like imaginary lines drawn on the Earth or simple looks. If Humans were as diversed as Canines we would have never made it out of the Dark Ages!!:raised:

grizzly
24 May 2002, 03:02 AM
I wonder what would happen if Temuera Morrison walked into their offices... would they even recognise him??

Dr_Worm
8 June 2002, 01:44 PM
My favotite part of the article was:

Knowles at aintitcool.com keeps emphasizing on the fact that Temeura Morrison, the actor who plays Jango, is Maori.
When asked how audiences are supposed to know that...

We are supposed to know it because: AMERICANS ARE NOT NEARLY AS STUPID AS YOU THINK! Good god! We are not an entire nation of people who say "all those people look alik to me". Sure there are people like that out there, but it is not the norm. What I think is really funny is that every Down Under member of the holonet that commented on AoTC chortled in the great appearance and perfomance of the two maori actors. Perhaps it is the latino PC mongers that think that "they all look alike"?

Dark72Jedi
9 June 2002, 03:16 AM
Actually, the New Zealand accent pretty much says "Maori" to me. Hey if they want to gripe, how about all those WB shows that have whites as comedy relief? I'm white and it doesn't bother me a bit.
This is just a few people that want to be heard and they are riding the coat tails of the same claim in Episode I because they know that it was a hot topic then. I don't understand how you can go into a movie and just sit there and look for this stuff. This means that you went in with the intent of not liking the movie. This is an example of what is wrong with the world today.