PDA

View Full Version : Forget 7,8,9 but what about a TV series??

Shaggy
19 May 2002, 04:13 AM
Okay anyone living in the reality knows that Episodes 7,8,9 will never exist. The Star Wars movies are about Anakin Skywalker.

But what about a TV series set in the Star Wars universe? Especially if its CGI like Starship Troopers.

That would rock.

Any thoughts on this?

PS Lucas isn't gunna live forever(he's closing in on 60), what happens when his kids are running the Lucasfilm empire? Are they just gunna sit there and do nothing with the greatest licence in the universe? I don't think so.

Grim Fantango
19 May 2002, 09:01 AM
A TV series would suck, no question

Aaron B'Aviv
19 May 2002, 10:19 AM
There's a perpetual rumor in the Star Wars community about a Rogue Squadron TV show. I'm of the opinion that it would be incredibly cool. Not everyone agrees with me. As far as the rest of the EU being told on TV, I don't think there's much else that fits the format. but the Rogue Squadron books and comics definitely do.

Jedi_Staailis
19 May 2002, 10:34 AM
The thought of a TV show both excites and worries me. I'd love to see more Star Wars, and get a better glimpse into Lucas's galaxy. But at the same time, I can see a lot of possible problems. First of all, they could very well decide to use main characters. Personally, I feel that those characters have fairly closed stories. I want to see something new. But even if they avoided main characters, it seems to me that they'll keep turning toward "save the galaxy/superweapon" plots. This has been tried in EU books, and it's failed miserably, in my opinion.

An apt comparison is Star Trek (though it started as a TV show). Quite frankly, I just don't see it working for Star Wars. In Trek, there's a much weaker sense of continuity or epic, which is essential for Star Wars. I wouldn't mind a more disjointed series on a ragtag group of the same type that we see in roleplaying games, but that just isn't marketable. Only a small portion of the fan base, the extremely knowledgeable fans, would understand what was going on.

I think the risks of a TV show far overshadow the potential gains.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
19 May 2002, 10:44 AM
The only way I think a T.V. series could work is if it centered around minor characters, perhaps ones they would create for the show, but I have doubts they would do this.

Otonashi
19 May 2002, 10:58 AM
NO! Absa-smerf-ly not! Few things would water down Star Wars faster than a TV series. Would I watch it? Yes, at least the first episode. But I don't think that it would be possible to maintain the quality that fans have come to demand from the Star Wars story line. I would prefer to have the Star Wars universe opened up to other people in general. Some sort of Star Wars Production Company. Where movies could be made about individuals apart from the core 6 movies, but still have access to the special effects. Have Quinton Tarentino handle the screenplay adaptation of "Tale from the cantina", or have John Woo work up something on the Bounty Hunter wars. Let's see Bobba Fett in an "R" rated movie ! Of course Lucas would have to approve everything.

wolverine
19 May 2002, 11:34 AM
What about a Mini series, like HBO and other staations did with lonk book lines, like War and rememberance, the Stand, Winds of war......?

COuld work for the rouge and wraith squadron novels at least....

Shaggy
19 May 2002, 05:33 PM
Oh please don't bring up Star Trek...That show has just the worst writing...
I'm talking more like Babylon 5 which was basically 5 year long movie cut into hour long chunks.
Or even Stargate SG-1 which has probably the best 1 hour writing and acting on TV today. It has more of what I mean, something happens most every episode so that there is a certain plot arc to the whole series.

And remember just because its set in the same universe doesn't mean it has to have the same tone.

Talonne Hauk
19 May 2002, 06:00 PM
Umm, there was a tv show. Two, in fact. The better of the two, Droids, was gone after a year. Ewoks managed to hang on for a few years.
But you're probably thinking of live-action drama.

Reverend Strone
19 May 2002, 06:23 PM
This is an idea I've long held in my mind as viable. As many have said- it has the potential to be very cool. or very naff.

I currently work for a company that is involved in film-making and is presently trying to get a trio of inhouse tv shows off the ground. Having an eye in that process I can tell you guys that SW is ripe like no other franchise for the possiblilty of a spin-off series. It's a no-brainer. The thing would rate.

The question is whether GL would want to do it, and in the likely event of the answer being no, would he trust anyone else enough to let them do it for him, with him serving as an Exec Producer or something like that?

It could be great, especially if they treat it as a sidestory (the only possibility in my opinion- the other story has been told in the movies), with new charcters and new situations. I would suggest not trying to tie it to the EU, but starting out fresh, without all that baggage, and building from the events of the movies alone. Otherwise you risk creating a show that is so bound by the myriad of novels and such like that have preceded it, possibly alienating folks new to SW beyond the films, and stockading the writers' freedoms. It would upset the EU fans, but it would be best in my opinion.

Of course, this is all just pie in the sky, as there's no sign of a SW series in the immediate future. It's fun to postulate though right? I can see it now- "Star Wars- The Adventures of the Reverend Strone". Has a nice ring don't you think?

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
19 May 2002, 10:26 PM
"Star Wars- The Adventures of the Reverend Strone".

Yeah, that does sound cool Rev... though ya forgot some of the main cast ... let's see here...

Rev's twin brother revstrone,
Captain Terras Jadeonar & his AI ship ...
His sidekick, a female twi'lek thief
The Dr. Worm
Alfred the Ewok
Lord Nazgul & Darth Cute, the dynamic sith duo
... and the list could go on!!! :D

man, i really do crack myself up :p

Ok, a little more seriously now. there's several styles a sw serries could go, first either CGI or live action ...

then the choice of non-linear eps like most startrek serries are where its point A-B each ep... (aka voyager or TNG)

Or it could be semi-contineous like Andromeda is, where the eps are loose but still are tied one to the next, even by referance of events from earlier eps.

Or it could be like Babylon 5 where each ep flowed from one two the next, all tightly bound to a strong story - basically the mechanics of telling a great epic story over the course of several seasons worth of tightly knitt episodes.

Nomater which style you pick, your gonna have the other crowd not liking that choice. And yeah, I agree it would have to be a seperate serries and creation from the books and movies... it's own chars with it.

Master_thorin
20 May 2002, 01:18 PM
I would love to see perhaps the rogue squadron books in a mini series form like Band of Brothers off Hbo (the idea of Wedge and Corran on the ground "Flash" "god damn it Corran you arent in Cor-Sec anymore") and then they could do things like NJO series of books it would be grrrrreat.

dgswensen
20 May 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Terras Jadeonar & Raven
Yeah, that does sound cool Rev... though ya forgot some of the main cast ... let's see here...

Rev's twin brother revstrone,
Captain Terras Jadeonar & his AI ship ...

Uh... excuse me? Twin brother? Aren't you forgetting someone? :)

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
20 May 2002, 04:17 PM
Many pardons dgswensen ;)

that should be " Rev's two twin brothers / clones... dgswensen & revstrone" and we have a mini serries dedicated just to find out the real truth of who's who :D

Hmm, anyone else I missed in that all-star list?

Reverend Strone
20 May 2002, 07:53 PM
Reverend Strone- "revstrone? (wistfully) revstrone... now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time,.. a long time."

Hey everyone of distinction has to have a psuedonym right? It works for the bigwigs in the movies? Darth Sidious/ Palpatine, Darth Tyranus/ Dooku, Obi Wan/ Ben?

Reverend Strone- "That name no longer has any meaning to me."

Marl Tradel
24 May 2002, 07:58 PM
what if instead of doing a series that was set after the movies, why don't they do one set before the movies, like go back to the founding of the Republic and the Jedi order...or even do one about the rise of the Sith Empire and the war between the Jedi and Sith...though i think a Rouge Squadren or Wraith Squadren series or even a CGI cartoon (smilliar to Transformers Beast Wars) or just a plan drawn cartoon...though for older kids...

Having any Star Wars series set close to the movies or to any of the books that take place after would be destined to fail simply cuz fans are expecting something along what is written already and don't want the Timeline messed up....

still think it would be kick'n to have a series set around the time of the begining of the Republic and Jedi order...when they're trying to figure out the Force and the good and bad of it and how it works...

but thats my thoughs...

beyond hope
26 May 2002, 10:57 AM
Absolutely NOT!

All you have to do is look at three sci-fi shows to see why not. First, look at the X-files and Babylon 5: in one case you've got one of the main characters leaving the series before it ends, in the other the network pulling the plug before the end of the series. In either case it created some series problems in storyline and continuity. Babylon 5 was fortunate in that they got picked up by another network and got to finish out all the plots that were going on... if that hadn't happened we'd still be speculating about "what if?"

The second problem is one that Star Trek illustrates beautifully: a syndicated TV show has to tell a story in an hour's time with the pace of the plot dictated by commercial breaks. It's all about $$$, even more so than a movie because with a TV show the money is being made off advertising rather than ticket sales. I used to love Star Trek, but the quality of the writing has SERIOUSLY suffered since the original series and continues to worsen with every new series they put out. To paraphrase Obi-Wan, "It's a cash cow for Paramount now, superficial and predictable."

I don't think you can overcome either of those problems, because they're inherent to how a TV series is made. If ratings weren't what the studio expected, we'd have our very own 7 of 9 in Jedi garb to prop the ratings up. Expect the plot to be done by people of the same calibre as the writers for DS9 and Voyager. That's not the Star Wars I want to see, it's an abomination of the Dark Side of Hollywood that should never be unleashed on hapless viewers.

Reverend Strone
26 May 2002, 03:04 PM
What you say is true, but that assumes a SW tv show would be made in Hollywood. If this were to happen at all, I'd pray it has nothing at all to do with that den of creative mediocrity (gross over-generalisation I admit).

Regarding a completely CG/animated show- it would be a cop-out I think. Assson as you do that you relegate the show to kids timetables. I doubt we'd get anything better than the Droids or Ewoks shows if that were the format. Live action is our best hope for a quality SW show because it will more than likely reflect a desire on the part of the creators to make a break-through show that escapes the Sci-fi zitty teen demographic and grabs a wider audience. It's the only way a show like this, which would be expensive, would be able to sustain itself. I'd even advocate making it outside the US, Herc and Xena style- but then I would, wouldn't I?

Terras Jadeonar & Raven
27 May 2002, 07:39 AM
You have a point there Reverand Strone

The live action would put it in the evening time-table... speaking both inside and out of Xena & Hurc, there is Andromeda which has been doing very well in the sci-fi medium. Aside from startrek, farscape, earth final conflict, there really isn't much space sci-fi stuff out there ... (instead we're flogged to the hilt with survivor spin-offs)

For me, I'd draw a fine line in the sand. If it was at least good in acting and quality of story then i'd want such a show. If it was up to having lots of no reason star battles, questionable weak story and some big star cast names to carry on the show, then no... a starwars show should not be made...