PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber combat and blaster bolt deflection....

wolverine
19 May 2002, 11:39 AM
Ok. I have checked my other threads, and have not asked this question before...

When YOU!!!! gm, do you allow 1 lightsaber combat roll for deflection of the blaster bolts that come at a character, when he is doing other actions, or do you require 1 roll per bolt????

PapaSith1
19 May 2002, 11:44 AM
yes because it is a seperate action to deflect each oncomeing bolt

evan hansen
19 May 2002, 11:50 AM
I'd say that you should develop a policy that works for your games. For example, if you have a lot of Jedi that are blocking bolts all the time and the rolling slows the game down a bit, you should make a rule where the lightsaber combat is an effort to anticipate all attacks in a round. If successful, you get it. If you miss by 1-4, you get hit by only the last bolt. If 5-8, you get hit earlier and thus get hit twice. That'll speed up gameplay.

If you have a game where your Jedi are far too powerful, then you should do as suggested and keep the rule more literal.

I find it helpful to think outside the box a little when looking at questions like this. Always think about how you can balance playing by the "rules" and playing to make your game run as smoothly as possible.

Just an idea.

Sabre
19 May 2002, 12:00 PM
The way I run it, you make one roll at whatever penalty you had before. Each shot beyond the first that's going to hit you that you want to parry adds +5 to the difficulty to block it. If you don't think your roll was sufficient to cover that, you can try again at an additional -1D for every reroll you make. I've tested this a lot, and I think it's a good balance between speed and difficulty.

Jericho_Narcas
19 May 2002, 05:34 PM
The rules say that one defensive roll counts vs. all attacks of that type during that round, and the description under lightsaber combat says they use their lightsaber skill as normal -- so I just make them do one roll, but they have to have lightsaber combat up for it to work in the first place (that's -2D right there). That's just to block the blaster bolt(s). Controlling the deflection is another matter entirely, and each controlled deflection counts as an action which adds even more die penalties to all rolls that round.

That's the fastest way to do it, and it works out pretty well that way too. If all the Jedi wants to do is keep from getting hit he's probably gonna do it, but if he tries to control where each deflected bolt goes his overall chances of success drop by a substantial margin.

Dhaka Dice
20 May 2002, 04:04 AM
Hi and Hallo (first post and all...)

I used to go with the 1 action per deflection rule, as i thought that the jedis became to powerful otherwise. But that resulted in the jedis dodging instead, as one dodge roll protected from several attacks. If you want to keep the movie type of jedis, ie deflecting bolts instead of jumping around like crazy, then I suggest you to use one defensive roll to deflect several bolts. Perhaps one can come up with some alternate rule that does not allow a jedi to deflect 20 blaster bolts with one action.

The Admiral
20 May 2002, 06:31 AM
-1 to Lightsabre per bolt deflected in each round. Twenty bolts fired, -20 to the Jedi's roll,,,

barna284
1 June 2002, 06:40 AM
I think the Admiralīs idea is quite good; mainly the idea is to reduce the lightsaber rolls to one, to avoid having to roll once per bolt. -1 per bolt seems a tad low still, maybe -5 per bolt or something like that (in TPM, I donīt remember OB1 and Qui-Gon deflecting more than two or three shots per phase, although Iīd be pushed to explain what a "phase" constitutes in movie time...).
Also remember that you could make a full defense (ala full dodge) for one round and add your lightsaber roll to all difficulties this round (this may end up being to unrealistic however, even though you must remember that the Jedi may not attack this round).

evan hansen
1 June 2002, 06:52 AM
Barna brought up a good point in my head. So one thing I will say that applies to all rule-making is that you really need to first define what your basis is. For example, in barna's post, it was said that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon only deflected X number of posts.

But pehraps Player A looks at all 5 movies as his source, so you can say that some Jedi aren't as good, others are very good, etc... by using Luke, TPM, and AotC.

Player B looks to the post-trilogy books -- Zahn, KJA, etc... -- for his material since he's read them all and he enjoys them all a lot.

Player C looks to NJO books and his favorite character is Anakin Solo, so he models all his rules off of that.

Player D thinks it's all goofy and wants his game to be based on his ideas, not even on the movie. He just likes the aliens and background story that Papa Lucas set up for him.

So, with anything, define what you're trying to do or what you're trying to recreate. If role-playing is all about recreating a universe -- be it Earth, the SWU, or something from DnD -- you want to make it as "realistic" as possible. So you need to know what you're modelling your game after.

Answer that question, and the rules come naturally.

Slave-1
1 June 2002, 09:30 PM
Very well said :) The one thing you hit on that really stands out(for me any way) is that each game will have its own personality, its own feel, and its own goals to acomplish. A good balance is any 'rule' that allows the pace to keep moving, is fair, is cosistant, and the players and gm all have fun. Keeping that in mind, almost anything is possable.

wolverine
2 June 2002, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the inputs.....

I feel the 1 roll for all bolts can make the jedi all to powerful, while concequently the -1d per bolt is a little over the top. I liked the suggestion of -1 per bolt, but i will do it like this instead...

-2 per bolt, incomming at the jedi that round, and he/she only needs make one roll.

EG John has 6 stormies, all shooting twice at him, that is 12 shots and so he has a -24 to his roll to parry all them.

Obi-Two Kenobi
5 June 2002, 07:42 AM
A simple method would just to use the rules as per full and partial dodges. A Partial parry deflects one blast per roll, and a full parry blocks all incoming blasts (unless the attacker rolls high enough), but the jedi cannot take any further action that combat round.

wolverine
10 September 2004, 07:43 AM
WITH MY DARK POWERS I RAISE YOU FROM THE DEPTHS!

Any new thoughts by our new people?

Kayle Skolaris
10 September 2004, 08:14 AM
Wolvy, you know I'm a huge fan of the Powergame, but I gotta say... -1D per bolt is the way to go. Keep in mind, your Jedi have force points they can spend if they need 'em. The Force is a powerful ally, but it isn't meant to be an invulnerable cloak. A flat -2D to all attacks that round is a free ride to laugh off entire companies of Storm Troopers. Or worse yet, imagine just six CSA Espos with Espo Riot Guns on full-auto. Each Espo is laying down 30 bolts per round times six Espos is 180 bolts your Jedi can supposedly block with a simple -2D penalty. That's just WRONG in my eyes.

But as always, it's your game... I just hope it doesn't get away from you...

readyjedi pilot
11 September 2004, 01:10 AM
but six espos on auto would be worse than stormtroopers to hit things it would be the worse kind of spray and pray:P they would'nt be able to hit they're own backside never mind a jedi

Kayle Skolaris
11 September 2004, 04:29 AM
Don't be so sure. An Espo Riot gun fires five bolts per shot. So each individual shot is going to require 5 deflections to avoid. Every additional shot at the same or immediately adjacent target in that round is at one difficulty lower, so it IS actually easier to hit the Jedi with the next five attacks the Espo would have on full auto. And each of those attacks requires five individual deflection attempts.

Couple this with the fact that CSA Espos care even LESS about civiilian casualties than Stormtroopers, and you have a high probability of the Espo squad opening up in a crowded mall just to take down the Jedi. In such a scenario, I would REQUIRE the Jedi to attempt to deflect all the attacks to defend the innocents around him. Otherwise he gets a DSP for depraved indifference.

Kelcheck
11 September 2004, 06:36 PM
My group uses the -1 per bolt deflected roll, so in the above example the jedi would be at -180 to block (so would be rolling the minimum of 1D in most cases) I think the jedi would be better off with an full parry (where he gets to add the difficulty of the shot to his parry) or dodge to get out of there

TheDarkWolf
12 September 2004, 09:27 AM
here is how we do it for jedi,

first of all, they need to put lightsaber combat up. wich takes a control of moderate and a sense of easy.. if they do it in one round then they are -1 to do it.cause after all if it takes more than one force skill to get a power up it is how it is supposed to be done.

Skills-(these stats just made up)
Lightsaber Combat - 7d
contol - 6d+2
Sense - 6d
Alter - 5d

then lets say they have lightsaber combat up already "this power may be kept up" the way we all understand it is that as long as the power is "up" they are allowed to deflect blaster bolts and can parry it back at someone or something, to do that they are minus one for each shot they are returning so if he is getting shot 4 times and wants to return all 4 of them , first he has to accomplish a parry and since he is parrying 4 times and returning 4 plus has lightsaber combat up he is at -8 ((keep in mind ya get 1 free action thus it is not -9)) thus he is rolling a 5d ((7d+6d = 13d - 8d= 5d))

Now that he has everything parried now all he does is roll his control of 6d+2 ((dont forget range)) and that is the hit for the opponent to Dodge, if he saved one.

That is how we do it as detailed as I can think off off the top of my head with the book in front of me.. :-P lol