PDA

View Full Version : How long after Endor?

Ian O'Rourke
19 May 2002, 12:02 PM
Okay, I'm working on a Star Wars campaign. I don't want to go for the Rebellion Era as I've done it do death, plus I want to have a true Jedi character for once.

Now, I'm toying with the idea of the Republic Era - but it has its problems along with its advantageous.

I'm also toying with running the campaign after the Battle of Endor, but I'm not a big fan of the EU books. So what I'd probably do is set it a number of years after and have the galaxy in recovery thing going for me, and the Jedi being back. I may or may not use elements of the books. I also don't want the characters rubbing shoulders with the characters from the books all the time.

At what point in the EU does the senate become more than just Leia and Mon Mathma (or whatever her name is) and what point could I have a Jedi that does not have to meet Luke every five minutes?

Basically I want the New Republic, without the 'old characters being the focus', sizeable Jedi Order, but Imperial elements still screwing things up. I don't want all the Vong rubbish (no offence).

Any ideas on a time after the Battle of Endor? Is there a timeline available for general events? I'd ignore the whole return of the Emperor rubbish.

May be the EU timeline is not the answer, may be I just need some ideas on a timeline I'd create without the EU events. So, a sizeable Jedi Order (say 30), a New Reublic government gaining new members, but still pockets under Imperial Control? What? 10 years after?

I could go for 20 years and have the New Republic established, but this one has an army, and areas that of space that still have imperial remnants are now part of its structure? Such as the Pentaster Alignment.

Grim Fantango
19 May 2002, 12:10 PM
I'd suggust around the time of the Black Fleet Crisis, thats about 11-12 years after Endor, there are Jedi, there's an Empire, And there's a New Republic, I think that time is the best for RPG personally...

Ian O'Rourke
19 May 2002, 12:39 PM
I love the Old Republic, and the old fading Roman Empire, exotic feel of it all. I'm just starting to feel a bit restricted by it - more so than the Rebellion Era for some reason. Not sure why. Sure I can change the fact that the Old Republic has had total peace for centuries - but then it would be the Old Republic anymore.

So, I may well go with the fragmented galaxy that the 'after Endor' idea gives me. I can have the New Republic trying to do their best to become the mythic Old Republic, but it is a long slog. I can have the Pentastar Alignment having pockets of space sewn up - and the New Republic is forced to deal with them because they cannot afford to make war with them. The Pentastar Alignment was a organisation in the Star Wars Adventure Journal (the print version), and serves well as what a major Imperial power could look like after Endor (assuming you ignore Thrawn, which I would).

Then I can have the Lord of the Expanse pushing for New Republic membership, but politics internally and influences by the Pentastar Alignment cause a war over the issue between the nobles - queue the sector falling to its deepest depths before the heroes bringing triumphantly kicking and screaming into the New Republic after war and fire.

Hah, may have persuaded myself :)

Jaggard
19 May 2002, 06:38 PM
Why don't you do things your own way. The best part about RPG is just making it up. Take the idea that Darth Maul didn't die in the conflict with OB1 (maybe nobody died or both Jedi Died) but was instaed only wounded. What would have happened then. It would change history in surprising ways. Would the clone army be Mauls or not. And continue with this storyline. What happens to anakin. How does the future turn out Does Maul defeat his master and become emporor. Maybe Maul becomes takes the place of Vader and His children save the galaxy. The end result is a setting that has exactly what you want and the ability to confuse the players because they don't know how everything about it all.

Ian O'Rourke
20 May 2002, 04:26 AM
That's another thing I tend to do. I don't pretend the major characters movies, etc, don't exist - but neither do I mention them or have my players interact with them

There should be plenty of room for epic stuff without needing to do that.

Craig Feely
27 May 2002, 04:06 PM
I was in the exact same situation as you were when I was starting up my campaign.

What I did was take the time period of the NJO, but without the Vong. I made my own massive Sith invasion force instead.

What I did for my players was take a copy of the Timetales Timline (available from theforce.net) and edited it to suit my needs. Therefore if my players were curious to know if a certain event occured in my game, all they had to do was look it up. The downside to this was that it took me forever and a day to fix it to my liking.

If you'd like to see it check out my site (http://sworpg.hypermart.net/timeline.html). You are welcome to use anything from it if you email me and ask! Hope this helps with some ideas!

QWERTY
29 May 2002, 02:10 AM
You could set it just after Spector of the past and vision of the future or possibly just dump them in the new jedi order period, theres plenty of rouge jedi that dont agree with Luke of Kyp so having them not meet them could be possible (but not proberble) and on the plus side not many people will of adventured in the NJO compered to the rebelion era

Qwerty

Jerome Leavy
4 December 2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jaggard
Why don't you do things your own way. The best part about RPG is just making it up. Take the idea that Darth Maul didn't die in the conflict with OB1 (maybe nobody died or both Jedi Died) but was instaed only wounded. What would have happened then. It would change history in surprising ways. Would the clone army be Mauls or not. And continue with this storyline. What happens to anakin. How does the future turn out Does Maul defeat his master and become emporor. Maybe Maul becomes takes the place of Vader and His children save the galaxy. The end result is a setting that has exactly what you want and the ability to confuse the players because they don't know how everything about it all.

This may be late in coming, but here's a few thoughts (having run quite a few campaigns over the years)...........

Take the suggestion above, especially since the Emperor (and many "bad" guys) was so fond of cloning chambers.

How many Admirals like Thrawn (certainly not Grand Admirals, if you stick to the story line) and Daala were there?

Then there's always the hidden societies that may have sith or jedi powers, but don't recognize the force as jedi do.........they could even be an assasin guild of some small system that holds tremendous sway over the culture there (jedi-like ninja, perhaps?).

Several instances are mentioned in books (including in Rebel Dream, NJO) of jedi who, even with Luke's permission and acceptance received some basic training--became jedi wanders and found their own paths (of course checking in from time to time).
You may not be a fan of the novels past Endor, but all of Zahn's, Stackpole's, and Allison's work is exquisitely done, in my opinion. I have yet to find a book of the NJO series I didn't at least like.......so ideas can come from there as well, since they rehash a great deal of past history in them.

The jedi way is based upon the samurai in some aspects (probably most). The novels focus on the center of that world, not all of it. They can give you reference; but don't exclude the possibility of linking at least a little of your campaign to the mainstream. That link becomes flavor and context for newer gamers that relate to that info, and is less you have to create (especially as a GM.........as you know, it's all about the details).

If you ever want to chat, bounce ideas...........I'll be around. New Republic Spec Ops doesn't use me for field work too much anymore.........being an instructor is Sithspit, but what can ya do?

Hope this helps!;)

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
4 December 2002, 02:52 PM
There were 12 Grand Admirals + Thrawn for a total of 13.

The Mistryl Shadow Guard (http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/entry.php?s=&id=570) would be an excellent example of the assassin guild type organization you mentioned.

Jerome Leavy
4 December 2002, 02:59 PM
Thanks!:D

I remember that from somewhere now.........

My reasoning for mentioning it was to remind that they were all accounted for.......poor job of communicating on my part.

Thanks again!