PDA

View Full Version : Profile question

evan hansen
19 May 2002, 12:50 PM
I'm curious about the kind of "ranking" system that appears under people's names on the holonet forums.

Does the player experience thing just have to do with number of posts, or months on the board, or something like that? And I've noticed that not always does the rank insignia correspond to the "New Player" or "Experienced Player" thing, etc...

And is there a defined purpose to the vote thing? I'd guess it's to kind of let new people see who has been voted as helpful, etc...

Just trying to figure my way out around here. :-)

Grimace
19 May 2002, 01:22 PM
Does the player experience thing just have to do with number of posts, or months on the board, or something like that? And I've noticed that not always does the rank insignia correspond to the "New Player" or "Experienced Player" thing, etc...

Yes. Essentially, it's a formula that is known only be a couple of people (and will remain that way) that deals with all that you mentioned: posts, months on the board, other things. As for the "new player" thing, I'm not entirely sure when that switches over.

And is there a defined purpose to the vote thing? I'd guess it's to kind of let new people see who has been voted as helpful, etc...

The voting is to be used to give people a general idea of how you view their overal voting style and level of helpfulness. It is suggested that you vote based on a posters OVERALL habits/style, rather than just a single post. If you vote once, say for me, the number you choose will be added to my tally and the overall will be recalculated. Voting a 3 on one thread, and a 3 on another accomplishes nothing, as only one vote counts. If you vote a 3 for someone, and later think that they are more helpful or are being a very contributive member, you can vote 4 or 5 and your vote will be recalculated for that member.

All in all, the voting is used as a general guideline, and you can put a lot of emphasis on your personal vote, or you can take it or leave it. Generally, we try to keep things fairly easy-going, so if you drop a point or two, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There is another thread in this forum that discussed this very thing. Feel free to read that thread. If you don't feel comfortable voting for people right away, there's no need to vote right away. Wait until you get comfortable and know the other members well enough.

Welcome to the Holonet, and have fun!