PDA

View Full Version : R-Series Astromechs

Penangallan
19 May 2002, 02:12 PM
I went out to see AotC this morning, and now I'm a little confused. Obi-Wan's astromech droid, R4-P17, looks a little more like an R2 unit than an R4 unit to me. Does this indicate that the shape of the droid's head is no longer an accurate indication of the droid's model?

Gary

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
19 May 2002, 03:48 PM
I read somewhere (I think it was the visual dictionary or the cross-section book) that Anakin found a damaged R4 unit, repaired it, and hardwired it to one of the Jedi Starfighters. In the process he had to replace the unit's damaged dome with that of an R2 unit.

Reverend Strone
19 May 2002, 06:31 PM
Yeah, that confused me too. Here's one theory (although Frobi's is a good one)-

In the Ep II Visual Dictionary it shows a picture of an R$ Unit with its traditionally taller head cowling. The caption reads something like "Larger dome extended to allow greater memory capabilities" or something similar. Perhaps all R4s actually look outwardly just like R2s normally, but the one's we've seen till now have had memory upgrades and been fitted with enlarged domes to facilitate this? Perhaps some of the droids we've seen in the background of shots and labelled as R4s are actually R2s that have been similarly refitted?