PDA

View Full Version : A SW computer game I'd like to see...

GameShowMan
21 May 2002, 10:51 PM
I have always thought it would be cool to see a Star Wars naval combat game...that is, a game based on capital starship battles. With the recent success of the Star Trek naval combat game, Starfleet Command, perhaps such a game might be feasible and fun.

I imagine it like this:

The game would feature warships from a number of different factions in the SW universe, such as:
-The Old Republic (featuring the Dreadnaught Cruiser, the new Acclamator Cruisers, Victory Star Destroyers and others)
-The Jedi Order [Old and New]
-The Seperatists [the Trade Federation and its allies] (Trade Federation Battleships and the like)
-The Empire (Imperator/Imperial Star Destroyers, Strike Cruisers, and others)
-The Rebel Alliance (Mon Cal Star Cruisers, Nebulon-B Frigates, etc.)
-The New Republic (Defender Star Destroyers, Republic Star Destroyers, etc.)
-The Yuuzhan Vong

Most ships would have lots of nifty variants to play with, and lots of new weapons and ablilties unique to the SW Universe.

Such a game would, appropriately enough, run off the Starfleet Command engine, much as Galactic Battlegrounds runs off the Age of Kings engine.

Any thoughts?

dgswensen
22 May 2002, 08:06 AM
Any thoughts?

Only one... I agree totally :)

Space battles are my favorite thing about Star Wars, hands down. It's why Return of the Jedi will always be my favorite -- the best space battle in the series. I would totally eat up a game like this.

I would also like to see the option to drop squadrons of starfighters, who would buzz over to the other capital ships and attack in a big swarm -- perhaps an option to set other fighters to "point defense" so you can see little squadrons of starfighters, flying around and dueling. That would be boss.

In the meantime, I found out that in Clone Campaigns (or maybe it's in regular Galactic Battlegrounds, too, I don't know), if you enter "Imperial Entanglements" as a cheat, you get a Star Destroyer -- which is quite nasty. Even better, "That's No Moon" gets you a Death Star! :) Not quite the same thing, but it's still good for a laugh.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
22 May 2002, 08:36 AM
Rebellion had a little about what you are talking about, just you only had the Empire or Alliance to choose from since that's all there was in '98.

GameShowMan
22 May 2002, 12:00 PM
I would also like to see the option to drop squadrons of starfighters, who would buzz over to the other capital ships and attack in a big swarm -- perhaps an option to set other fighters to "point defense" so you can see little squadrons of starfighters, flying around and dueling.

I have not played its sequels, but the original Starfleet Command features a race that uses fighters prominently. A SW naval combat game (which I would call Star Destroyer) would feature starfighters as an integral part of the game...I wouldn't have it any other way, and I don't think anyone else would either.

Rebellion had a little about what you are talking about, just you only had the Empire or Alliance to choose from since that's all there was in '98.

Yeah, but not the vast variety of ships I would imagine, or the kind of detail the Starfleet Command engine features. Star Destroyer would be, to some extent, limited to single ship and/or squadron level engagements.

That reminds me...I'm not sure it would be such a good idea to have the Jedi serve as a seperate faction. Ships with Jedi commanders, officers and crew should be featured in a number of factions (such as the Republics and to a limited extent, the Empire). Naturally, the presence of the Jedi aboard a ship would give that craft added abilities.

Also, like Starfleet Command, Star Destroyer would also feature boarding actions (why not? after all, one of the first scenes ever seen of SW was the Imperial boarding of the Tantive IV in ANH).

Further comments?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
22 May 2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by GameShowMan
Yeah, but not the vast variety of ships I would imagine, or the kind of detail the Starfleet Command engine features. Star Destroyer would be, to some extent, limited to single ship and/or squadron level engagements.

It covers the Rebellion and the Empire pretty well. The graphics were pretty good for the time. And starfighters do play a large roll. You can even send them into the Second Death Star's main reactor (Yes, you can build the second DS).

Sil7
22 May 2002, 01:31 PM
What about a Homeworld type game? It would work pretty well, I think. Incoperate an upgraded version of Rebellions strategic interface, Some more tactical options, Lots of sides to play as, and there you have it. I'd play both types of games suggested here.

Just another idea,

Sil7

Chris Curtis
22 May 2002, 06:33 PM
You know, my bet is that there's probably already a mod out there for Homeworld (or Cataclysm) that makes it Star Wars. Seems like it would be an obvious thing for the fans to do...

Slavan K. Guiser
22 May 2002, 07:52 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeet!!! I would so totally eat this game up like nothing else. I had always kinda dreamed that LucasArts would do something like this. Maybe we can petition and get them to at least think about it. It's good to know I'm not the only one that would love a game.
I always wanted to play an Imperial Admiral...........*Dreams*

Slavan

J'Raef
22 May 2002, 09:38 PM
I for one am a sucker like dgswensen for the starships and the space battles in the star wars universe. Although I disagree with the whole RotJ as the best movie. I. personally am a hugh AotC fan and the whole battle sequence at the end with the drop ships and clone warriors was the coolest.
Back on topic. I would love a game like this, the onle things I would change is to drop the jedi as a single team and intergrate them into one or several of the others, and drop the yausan vong completely. (as i have pointed out before i hate these mofeltzers, they are the worst thing to happen to the star wars galaxy, and i have got a bad rating because i think so.) The only other thing i would do is add a fighter simulator into it as well so you could fly in a fighter. As well as man a turret on the larger ships and even piolet the capital ships.

GameShowMan
22 May 2002, 10:00 PM
What about a Homeworld type game? It would work pretty well, I think.

I'll bet it would...except that wasn't the kind of game I had envisioned. Don't get me wrong, Homeworld is one of the niftiest (and downright gorgeous) games I have ever seen in my life. It's just a little too complex for my tastes. The game I envision would have the player only worry about one or two (at most five or six) ships, and all of the functions of those vessels. Such a game would handle large ships more like starfighters, as individual units with lots of nifty toys on just one ship to explore, and variants of those ships with other nifty goodies to play with (although they certainly wouldn't move like starfighters, or even be piloted like their smaller cousins). The game you guys seem to be thinking of is more like a spacebound version of Galactic Battlegrounds, where the player has to worry about hundreds of units, how to get the units where they need to be, and even how to build them, the last of which I can honestly do without in a real-time strategy game (listen to me talk, after buying the nifty new Monopoly Tycoon. Hey wait...Star Wars Tycoon!...oops, that's another thread). I would prefer to be the Star Destroyer Captain (Captain Pellaeon, for example) ordering the helmsman to pursue an enemy ship or the weapons officer to fire the main turbolaser batteries than the Admiral of the Fleet (poor ol' Piett or Thrawn) having to worry about colossal battle plans against the enemy fleet. I'd rather drive one or two ships and all of the nifty things they have on board than worry about a thousand ships and all of the logistical problems involved there. Homeworld is for the Admirals, while games like Starfleet Command are for the Captains, like me.

Incidentally, a Homeworld type game could be called Grand Admiral.

Fred Getce
23 May 2002, 04:26 PM
There is a mod for Homeworld that features Star Wars. There is also a mod for Star Trek Armada.

Here are two links for you to explore.

http://pub33.ezboard.com/bapocentertainment

http://www.strategyplanet.com/starmada/modders_continuum/mods.htm

Finding a group who can mod and would be willing to create a Star Wars mod using Star Trek 2: Empires at War would be fairly easy. just get surfing.

grizzly
24 May 2002, 02:09 AM
So... GameShowMan how long is it going to take you to code this up?? When can I expect to see it on the shelves and how much will it cost me? ;) :D B)

Sil7
24 May 2002, 04:42 AM
I didn't mean that the kind of game I was refering to was the one you had envisioned. I was just suggesting another idea. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Anyway, I think that Star Destroyer would be awesome. You know, maybe start off with a baseline ship, as time goes by upgrade it, all while your crew is gaining experiance.

And, I've sorta refined some ideas for Grand Admiral, if you'd like to hear them.

Sil7

Grand Admiral Jason
24 May 2002, 05:02 AM
That would be an awsome game system!