PDA

View Full Version : Campains

Marl Tradel
23 May 2002, 09:18 AM
HI i'm new to the Star Wars RPG and i'm going to be GM for a group of people and i want to find a easy short campain for them. they are all going to be 1st level characters. i'm not all that great at making up strories. and being my first time as a GM i need a LOT of help, it would be greatly appericated. thanks for the help in advanceB) :D :)

evan hansen
23 May 2002, 09:27 AM
Are you looking for ideas to come up with your own story or a book with adventures in it?

If you're looking for ideas for plot lines and such, I'm sure that if you gave us a starting point, there are tons of folks on here that'd love to offer ideas up.

Things to consider: What era do you want (Tales of the Jedi, Republic, Empire, Thrawn, Vong/NJO, etc...)? How many players do you have? What kind of characters do you expect they'll want to play? What kind of game do you want to run (dark, funny, heroic, villains, etc...)?

Post some of that information and I'm sure people here will be more than pleased to come up with some ideas for you.

Consul Vido
23 May 2002, 09:31 AM
Well, any ideas would depend greatly on what era you are planning to play this scenario in. And what types of characters you are going to have.

Oops, sorry. Evan got there before I did.

Marl Tradel
23 May 2002, 09:46 AM
what i'm looking for right now is a book or maybe something online...my friends want Tales of the Jedi/Old Republic era because they want to use Jedi...though anything is ok with me, i just want to do a couple of small adventures to "get my feet wet" so to speak in GMing, hope thats helped, and thanks again

Ash
23 May 2002, 10:02 AM
I saw an advertisement on Wizard's website a while ago for Star Wars that said, "Before Chewie flew it someone had to steal it." about the Lambda class shuttle stolen for the attack on Endor. For some reason I always thought this would be a great adventure! What I try to do is take an element as simple as "Where did they get that shuttle?" and use that as the basis. Then use that as a mission for your players to springboard into stealing the shuttle for the Rebel Alliance and even taking them to Endor as part of the strike team. Just find a basic goal and move backwards. Sort of reverse-writing a movie script. Writing the ending and the beginning but let the players make up everything inbetween. Just how I sometimes run my games, hope it helps.

evan hansen
23 May 2002, 10:14 AM
Oooh! Tales of the Jedi. Well, here's a quick idea for you to play off. I ran this campaign a few years back.

Have your players start on a populated planet like Coruscant. They are charged with going to find out what happened to a Republic research vessel lost near the Outer Rim. While on Coruscant, the team is going through last minute preparations -- reading reports, having a few drinks, etc... They meet the pilots of their transport. One is a smallish man, the other is a larger woman.

Almost all the way to the last reported location of the vessel, the ship experiences technical difficulties. (insert big attempt to save the ship) The ship crashes on a planet. Sure enough, however, the vessel is found.

Now, that's the set up that I used to get into the campaign. Here's a broad overview of the rest:

-- The Sith, in hiding since their last defeat at the hands of the Jedi, are actually hiding on that planet, waiting to get ships out to their location to secretly invade the Republic.
-- Their leader, Solus Bound, is actually the short man that piloted the Jedi transport. He's been planting seeds of hate and deception in the Republic for months.
-- Make Bound be VERY friendly to the PCs and help them out with a great many things. Eventually, you'll shock the heck out of them when he turns on them and reveals who he is. You can even have him kill some of his own people, which he would obviously do, to reinforce his "loyalties" to the Jedi.
-- Have a few adventures where these PCs discover the crashed ship on this same planet, etc... No one is alive. Lots of scary stuff. Have them meet the local race, a legion of slaves, mercs, and dark force users... though don't reveal that. Have them be very helpful.
-- Eventually, set it up so that the Republic shows up with a few ships.
-- A war is breaking out with the Hutts on the other side of the Republic. The Hutts have gotten greedy and militaristic.

How you proceed from there is up to you. I had Solus Bound make it back to Coruscant and slowly rise through the ranks, a la Palpatine. He was never planning on actually taking over the Republic though. Just get high enough to gain access to key military info, etc... Then they invade.

It turns out the Hutts are in league with this Sith Lord -- willingly or not is up to you -- and the purpose was to distract the Republic from noticing that the Sith were invading. Have the Sith slowly take over governorships and stuff on outlying planets. They gain votes in the Senate, etc...

You get the picture.

Now, you can do this in 5 adventures if you set it all up ahead of time. Or, you can draw this puppy out for YEARS and YEARS.

It's a fun campaign, I think.

Lord Diggori
see below

Lord Diggori
Marl,

First off welcome to the ranks of the gamemaster. "You've taken your first steps into a much larger world." :D

As far as campaigns and adventures go I really must refer you to the past issues of Star Wars Gamer magazine. Not only is there one or two adventures per issue but within the last 4 they've been writing articles on how to make up adventures too.

Also, for something easier on the wallet, the star wars game site at www.wizards.com has an archive with several adventures in it for you to download.

For making up you're own stuff there's only a few things to keep in mind:

The goal is to have entertain the players and have fun. Obvious, yet easy to forget at times.

Book-ends, stuff the players want for their PC's and the hook that shows them how to get there. Let the players decide the middle parts but dont let them take easy way out for solutions. Make'em be creative. Could save you a lot of futile planning.

Assign DC's you think are fair for obstacles based on what they're doing.

Have some stats for easy, medium, and hard opponents ready. Present each set of them in that order whenever the plot starts to seem too quiet for an action flick like Star Wars.

Drop some bad @ss a level or two higher than the average party level right in front of the goal.

There ya go. Dont get frustrated if it doesnt go perfect the first time.

Marl Tradel
23 May 2002, 10:44 AM
thanks guys for your input, i do have the last five issuses of Star Wars Gamer and it does have some good adventures in it, but they are for levels 3 and higher, so it's kinda hard to do, but i will keep a look out for more of them in the future, and i'll keep in touch on how it goes, i do have a couple of ideas that i want to do. always thought that they should write a series on Thrawns adventures into the Unknown Region...and that would be a great setting for a campain.

evan hansen
23 May 2002, 11:25 AM
If you're playing d20, you'd have to do conversions, but WEG did a weird adventure booklet called "Otherworld" or something to that effect. It's very small and definately not their best work. But, it might have some very out-of-the-standard-star-wars-universe ideas for you.

Just a thought.

GreatHornedDragon
24 May 2002, 05:50 PM
Marl, if the adventures are for higher level PCs, you could always take out a few opponents in the combat scenes and make things a little easier. This way you could fit lower-level characters into some campaigns easily enough so you can get used to GMing.

Dwight.

Bombaatu
25 May 2002, 10:38 PM
If you are stuck for plot ideas, you may want to check out this site: The Big List of RPG Plots by S. John Ross (http://www.io.com/~sjohn/plots.htm). They are fairly broad strokes but they should serve to get the creative juices flowing.

Another thing you will need to do is fix your timeline. You are in the Tales of the Jedi era - before or after the great Sith war? If it is before, you have a pretty good ready-made overarching story - the build-up and culmination of the Sith war. The PCs then get to unravel bits and pieces leading up to this climax.