PDA

View Full Version : GM Question Regarding AOTC (spoiler if u haven't seen it yet)

Jeric
23 May 2002, 12:08 PM
Hey all...

I've been GMing for about a year now. After seeing episode 2, I had a question regarding LightSabers and force lightning. In the movie, Dooku throws a barrage of force lightning toward Obi-wan who then uses his lightsaber to deflect it. It actually shocked me because i never thought a saber could be used to block it. One of the players in the rpg noticed it as well and was quick to comment that there is a way of blocking FL. Now my question is does the block need to be at a certain level to block FL with his lightsaber or does it fall onto another skill or feat like lightsaber dfense or deflect blaster?

thanks

J

evan hansen
23 May 2002, 12:14 PM
Well, to directly answer your question, I'd think that it shouldn't be very high at all. Obi-Wan seems to do it with almost no effort. Granted, he is an *exceptional* Jedi, but I would think Dooku, even more exceptional than Obi-Wan in many ways, would have given it at least one more shot if he didn't think that Obi-Wan would deflect the lightning so easily. So I'm guessing it's just a standard lightsaber block.

Now, the answer that I want to give you, which doesn't answer your question directly, is that the GM should do whatever fits his game style the best. Pick one that works for you and what you hope to accomplish in your game and stick with it.

Ace Calhoon
24 May 2002, 09:07 AM
Personally, the way that I'd run it would be to combine a parry and the force skill absorb/disipate energy... Say, have them make a parry then give them bonuses to their absorb roll.

'Course, I'm still pretty new at this, but that's how I'll probably run it when my Jedi goes up against FL.

Lord Diggori
24 May 2002, 09:19 AM
Good question,Jeric.

I'm not sure if you're d6 or d20, so I'll adress it as d20 since I dont remember d6.

Dooku seemed to think it had a chance of working on Obi-wan cause the count knew he was more a master of the force than Kenobi. If it was just a simply parry I'd think that Anakin could've deflected it easily as he does blaster bolts.

In the new rules I think the FL check sets the DC for a Reflex save. If you save, you take half damage. Maybe you could slightly modify it so that if you save 5 points above the DC you take no damage which is what it seemed Kenobi did, in game terms.

Jeric
24 May 2002, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys... i like the idea regarding the reflex save is 5 or more then there is no damage.

J

btw yes.. it was for the D20 system