PDA

View Full Version : How much cash or equipment should PCs be allowed to start with ?!?

Phex
23 May 2002, 01:04 PM
Well my group is new to the star wars rpg and so i woder how much cash or equipment i should give them ...

Reverend Strone
23 May 2002, 01:52 PM
The answer to this is entirely dependent upon the campaign setting, but first off, my advice would be to throw away the starting credits recommendations in the rulebook. This should never be based on die rolls, but instead be a function of your campaign setting. It's a choice that the GM makes, not a chance roll.

I'm in the habit of starting my players off with the bare essentials and having them earn their hearts' desires in the way of material possessions, but this is only because it suits the campaigns I've run.

It makes sense that a special ops military force would begin well equipped, while a bunch of Tatooine outlaws mightn't have a blaster rifle between them. The equipment and funds your guys begin play with should reflect their situation, and unless their character backgrounds suggest otherwise, should provide room for them to advance and accrue as they suceed in their missions, that way allowing you as GM to use new equipment as rewards for your players.

It can be tempting to give them all the coolest tools, but unless their backstory justifies it, I'd tend to give them the opportunity to work for the stuff they want.

I had my players right out a list of what they wanted to start play with. I then reviewed that list, tailoring it to what was reasonable given their setting, and talked it over with the players individually until they agreed and we all felt it was fair and justifiable. They understood the need to have things to aim for in future, so not all of them got their wishes right off, and they were cool with that.

Bottom line, equip them as you feel is reasonable and plausable given the characters' backgrounds and current situations.

wolverine
24 May 2002, 03:17 AM
I used to have a chart, where i worked out the Total credit value for all the base templates in the main book, scouts and platts starport/smuggler guides. I then added them all together, and divided them by the number of templates, to form a median level of credits for starting characters.....

Worked for when i didn't use standard templates. Otherwise, use the template's starting equipment....

reliant
24 May 2002, 04:42 AM
I used the starting credits from the book, but then I let the PC's buy up to that amount of starting equipment, but then still start with the credits they rolled.

Sithspawn
28 May 2002, 01:36 PM
What I allow a charcater to have depends on the charcater type, campaign and mood I'm in :)

If a players chooses a template then they get that equipment. So lucky Smuggler gets a ship and Brash Pilot gets an X-Wing. If the player really has no big desires for special equipment I make them roll for it. I'll get the player to roll 4D and multiply the total by tens and give them that many credits and say 'there, now buy your equipment.' Because I'm one for insisting on Character Type heading be filled in, if the player can't give me a 'Type' then I can't give them much equipment.

Last night I started an adventure where it would be set on Kessel, with the PCs being prisoners. Two players wanted to start off new PCs. So their equipment was nothing because I started them as prisoners.

Then there's the opposite side. Tapani Campaign. A Lord or Lady may well start off with several million credits, even billions. So equipment for these characters really does focus on 'who they are' and special or sentimental items eg.lightsabre, fathers chronometer.

At the end of the day simply ask the player want they feel their character should have. If it's not too much and it doesn't sound as if the player is being greedy then allow it. If they are being greedy and moan, well give it them anyway, you always have a platoon of Stormtroopers to confiscate all their nice toys B)

madpoet
28 May 2002, 07:56 PM
I generally allow my players to kit themselves out with just about anything within reason ( No, you can't have a Star Destroyer!). If I feel that they are taking advantage of my nearly godlike generosity, I simply remind them that if I felt like it, they would start play with a loincloth, two decicreds, and a pointed stick. That usually straightens them out. For starting cash, I'll have them either roll or come up with a GREAT backstory explaining why they have so much/little money.

Int the end, it's your call.

Sherman Shipyards
28 May 2002, 11:37 PM
I use the staring credits rules and then have whoever the PC in working for lend them a standard blaster til they get on their feet.

Lord Diggori
29 May 2002, 11:48 AM
My usually system is have them roll as written in the rules for first level. If they're starting above first level they get the average roll of the amount they can start with per level over one.

Rogue Janson
31 May 2002, 10:49 AM
I'd modify this if the characters started in any particular situation, but generally we have them start with the credits from the book, with which they're allowed to buy equipment, and one "character item". This is something that helps build the character, thought of by the player and approved by the GM. For example one of my characters had a portable PA system and a jedi student started off with his family's collection of books on jedi history. The aim is to enhance the character, so the items rarely have much worth in themselves.
Having said that, my jedi character started off with a ship of her own, which was good for the character (daughter of a wealthy Duros family) and for the campaign, since it allowed us to get around on our own.

Jedi_Staailis
31 May 2002, 11:18 AM
Generally it depends on the campaign. In loose games, I generally just start them off with a few credits and some essentials, knowing that it won't take them too long to buy what they want. These games tend to be ones with characters that would resonably start with very few possessions.

In tightly integrated campaigns, where the characters won't have time to stop to go shopping, or where the right tool can make the difference between life and death, I'm usually generous about equipping them with everything I think they might need. These campaigns usually start the characters at higher levels (d20) or skills (D6), and in more prominent social positions, where it would make sense for them to own a larger collection of stuff. I just go think about what items the character would reasonably have and give it to them.