PDA

View Full Version : Redesign

Nealos
23 May 2002, 05:43 PM
Hello all,

It's come to my attention that the current design of starwars-rpg.net does not support lengthy reading (or even brief reading for some!). The small white text on sharp red background just isn't going to work for the Journal...

I'm in the process of making some rough designs for the entire site. Something that is still attractive but far easier to read. I'll be posting a link to some of these designs in the near future, the first perhaps being later tonight.

Feel free to share thoughts on this. Otherwise, just letting everyone know.

evan hansen
23 May 2002, 07:21 PM
The bright red is cool, I think, but I can see how it would make reading things hard.

You're already an exceptional designer; we're all aware. So I'm not going to pretend to be able to give you layout or graphics suggestion.

I do have a fondness for the color purple though. Maybe some light purples with greens and blues. It'd be great to use those...because, you know, it's your job to please me and only me. ;-)

The site has always had a more artsy feel, rather than the cut and dry nature of most large sites (ie - most sites have what i call the cnn.com look). I'd like to see it retain that look. It's much more progressive, I think.

I'm sure that the final product, regardless of what you do with it, will be excellent, as always.

Nealos
24 May 2002, 06:25 AM
"Exceptional designer"? Ok, everyone... do what Evan does and you'll get promoted at your job far faster. ;) LOL

Ok, here's what I have so far. There's some spots I'm not happy with yet, but thought I'd throw something up there early on so everyone can see the direction.

Comments are welcome as always. Gotta run to work now!

Thanks for the comments, Evan. (the money will be transferred tonight)

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 06:50 AM
Ya big goof. You have to actually post the URL.

You can forget the URL. But just don't forget to mail that check. ;-)

Nealos
24 May 2002, 07:39 AM
I'm so retarded I can't handle it...

http://starwars-rpg.net/mayredesign_subpage_v2.gif

Something to note about this layout - it would be left adjusted with the bands of color spreading out across the entire screen. Just to help everyone imagine it...

Thanks Evan, sumtymes eyem soh stoopid...

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 07:56 AM
I think it's pretty slick... Definately good in terms of the color and the readability factor.

I think some detail in that page title box (where it says About, since it's the About page) would be cool.

I attached quick examples since I, too, am retarded and probably couldn't explain what I had in mind. Ha!

Chris Curtis
24 May 2002, 10:00 AM
Tim: Wow, really like that design. Clean, simple, effective. Evan might have a point about that title box being a little spare, though. I'd be very interested to see what ideas you had for the main page...

Evan: Maybe it's just me, but that zip file of yours didn't actually seem to have anything inside it.

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 10:32 AM
Nealos had the same problem. I know I zipped it right, but maybe it didnt work. sigh. i sent it to nealos via email, so maybe he can tell us if it worked.

if not... then we'll just have to wait. :-) im leaving town in a few minutes. I'm sure the suspense will be heartbreaking. /sarcasm

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 10:48 AM
Ok, this was bugging me. so here are two even quicker versions of something similar, just to show what i mean...

im posting each separately (bad, i know) because i just used winzip again to retest it and the same thing happened to me (the zip file had nothing in it), so I think I need to reinstall that.

Anyhow, sorry to take four posts to show two images. :-(

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 10:49 AM
file two. sigh.

StClair
24 May 2002, 02:37 PM
Oooh, looking NICE...

Much better, Nealos. (IMO.)

BRodgers
24 May 2002, 07:30 PM
I agree Nealos...it has an elegant look , isn't cluttered and the tones are very soft....(of course if I were to say this in prison I would be "married" by the end of the day).:D

I hope you dont take this personally (and I doubt you will, you are a pretty open minded guy)..but the main problem I have/had with the current design is that it is darn similar to DLOS...and while thats not such a bad thing, I felt it was just "wrong" for starwars-rpg.net, which is why I'm thrilled you are planning a redesign for the site.

Anyway, you are definitely on the right track...good job!:D

Nealos
24 May 2002, 08:35 PM
First, thanks all for your comments. For the goal of increasing readability, I think we're on track so far. Besides, I love throwing a new face on every once in a while (but should constrain myself from doing it too often).

Regarding the detail in the title box, I didn't even notice until it was mentioned, but the words "Star Wars" are supposed to be faded in the background to add some texture to that expanse of color. I guess it wasn't captured in the .gif format (though it shoud have been, I think). I've uploaded a .jpg version that reveals the faded text, though I think it needs a little more than what's there.

http://starwars-rpg.net/mayredesign_subpage_v2.jpg

I like Evan's approach with his examples. I will work on something similar. I also reiterate that this is very rough - thrown together in fifteen minutes to get the concept "on paper" before I refine. We'll see where it all leads :)

In regards to the current design looking too much like DLOS, you're in for a little surprise which makes me giggle more than a little bit...

I created the current design version of Starwars-rpg.net a VERY long time ago, and didn't have time to refine it or post it for months. Way back when I first designed it, I showed it to several people for opinions - Ryan at DLOS was one of them. It inspired him to the point that he said he DLOS was overdue for a redesign and that he'd like to emulate my layout approach. I thought he should go for it, and I think it turned out quite nicely.

With that all said, you can imagine my initial spout of laughter when I read your comment, BRodgers. I said out loud, "Actually, it's almost the opposite!" :) No one misunderstand me though - I encouraged Ryan on his redesign and I thought it was a great facelift from the first time I saw it.

Here's a little final piece of trivia - SWRPG Link Archive and Reviewed Sites was layed out by myself in an effort to help Chris Curtis out when he was looking to redesign. So, look at DLOS, Starwars-rpg.net and SWRPG LA/RS and nod to yourselves while we all realize what an incestuous situation it is to be hosted on the starwars-rpg.net domain (in best borg voice: "It's useless to resist - you will all have the same layout!!")

LOL :)

BRodgers
24 May 2002, 09:56 PM
Ha! I knew there was some sort of skulduggery going on!:D

I kinda thought that might be the case Nealos , or at least something similar...thats pretty funny. Well, like I said, its a solid design...but for two sites to have it...(although i would imagine a love child between starwars-RPG.Net and DLOS would have a VERY patriotic look to it!!!!!!:D

Nealos
24 May 2002, 10:31 PM
Ok, got another layout and color treatment. This is rough and unfinished in my opinion. I could spend more time on it to add nice little details, but look at it at the conceptual level.

http://starwars-rpg.net/mayredesign_subpage_v3.jpg

Which one is your preference so far - first or second one?

Matt Richard
24 May 2002, 10:49 PM
I think my vote goes out for the first one even though they are both good. Yep, definetly the first one. I like the color scheme.

BRodgers
24 May 2002, 11:05 PM
Ooooohhhhh eye candy!

I gotta go withthe second one Nealos , it looks cleaner and I especially like the links at the bottom of the main banner rather than at the top...very very nice.

Grimace
24 May 2002, 11:48 PM
I'd have to say that I'd prefer an amalgam of the two. I like the color scheme of the first one, but the layout of the second one. I've never been partial to seeing blue on the computer screen. It seems too cold. The tans look nice and give the site more of a "comfortable" feel. There are touches on the second one, however, that I think fit better. The menu is one. It also seems a bit easier to read, not sure whether thats just from the quality of the posted pic, or if it's part of the layout.

BTW, interesting Latin. ;)

Deano
25 May 2002, 03:03 AM
Great work Nealos! I personally prefer the first design for a couple of reasons. Firstly, its a unique looking design that is very pleasing on the eye. Secondly, the second design looks to similar to swrpgnetwork's design.

Keep it coming

Deano

BRodgers
25 May 2002, 05:41 AM
Hey!

Where can I find Bobs House of Star Wars!??!!??!?!?! I wanna check it out!!!!!!!:D

Chris Curtis
25 May 2002, 08:19 AM
I'm with Grimace -- a combination of the two.

Like Grimace, I like the color scheme of the first one better. While I don't have any problems with blue-based sites, there are quite a few of them, so the tan is a bit more unique.

I like most of the layout of the second design better, though. It's less blocky, which is good, IMO. Deano has a point regarding a similarity to 'Network, however. I think most of that is due to the blue color and the use of a large "banner graphic" in the upper right. I'm not sure how you could alter the use of the graphic, but I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Great job so far, keep it up!!

Nealos
25 May 2002, 09:19 AM
Ok, here's another version. too heavy? I hear what you're saying about the swrpgnetwork similarity in terms of the blue, but I LOVE blues...so here's a red and tan (trying to find a unique look that is attractive and distinctive).

http://starwars-rpg.net/mayredesign_subpage_v4.jpg

BRodgers
25 May 2002, 09:41 AM
This one is pretty good Nealos ...how about dropping the links to the lower end of the bar and maybe changing their color to white?

Just an idea...

Nealos
25 May 2002, 03:16 PM
Hmmm... how about this?

http://starwars-rpg.net/mayredesign_subpage_v4a.jpg

BRodgers
25 May 2002, 05:57 PM
Dat's what I'm talking about!!!!!:D

Matt Richard
25 May 2002, 06:21 PM
okay looking at all of them, I think I cant decide:? How hard would it be to allow the person to decide what "scheme/layout he/she wants while viewing (ie making links to each site with different layout)? Just an idea, keep up the good work.

StClair
25 May 2002, 07:54 PM
I like blue too. :)

That said, this mix of beige/tan and red is somewhat better than the Lots of Red, In Your Face! we had before. ;)

My one fear is that it might end up looking just a little too much like the Holonet, with its red accents.

I like how this is developing, Nealos. More!

Grimace
25 May 2002, 09:03 PM
Last one looks pretty sweet. Just right, IMO.

Clear. Good Colors. Good layout. Nice design.

by StClair
My one fear is that it might end up looking just a little too much like the Holonet, with its red accents.

:? Red accents on the Holonet? Isn't the Holonet green?

Nealos
25 May 2002, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I get the holonet as green as well.

Regardless, the funny part for me now is that I can't decide which one I like better... LOL

Deano
26 May 2002, 02:25 AM
Those last two are sweet. Personally, I prefer the first one of them.

Deano

StClair
26 May 2002, 02:52 AM
Oops. The HoloNet is, of course, greens; I was thinking of the Submissions site, which is the same look in reds. Then there's the main Network site, in purples. And isn't there a blues in the mix somewhere too?

Anyway, your latest revision looks fine. Just let me and the other Journal people know when the server's up and the CMS is working, 'kay?

Chris Curtis
26 May 2002, 08:52 AM
Matt, regarding being able to choose your design...
Unless pretty much everything having to do with the layout, color, style, etc of the site were done through stylesheets (which, to be fair, is what's supposed to happen), then offering multiple styles wouldn't be very feasible. It would be possible, certainly, but it would be much more effort than it would be worth, IMO.

Re: design:
The latest proposal looks great. I think I like the second version (the links below the title box) a bit more, but not so much that it would make much of a difference.

ij thompson
26 May 2002, 01:39 PM
Great stuff! Hit the nail right on the head...

evan hansen
27 May 2002, 08:02 PM
sigh. Well, after 2 days of vacation and my hard drive flipping out (flipping out meaning ceasing to function at all), I'm back. :-)

I think all the designs look great, Nealos. But I would have to go with either the original design or the newer red/tan ones. Blue is easily the most popular color on the web these days, and I think the site would be best as a combination of good design and originality in design. The first design, especially, demonstrated original colors. They're certainly not as comonly used, but they look great together.

Aaron B'Aviv
4 June 2002, 01:00 PM
Nealos, I like the last one. Clean, but not devoid of color.

Matt Richard
4 June 2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by StClair
Oops. The HoloNet is, of course, greens; I was thinking of the Submissions site, which is the same look in reds. Then there's the main Network site, in purples. And isn't there a blues in the mix somewhere too?

Anyway, your latest revision looks fine. Just let me and the other Journal people know when the server's up and the CMS is working, 'kay?

almost got the colors down there. Only the main site is blue, the Submissions site is purple and the conversions is red, although the colors of the red design and the conversions arent the same, the one Nealos did reminded me of 49ers colors (me being a hard -core Cowboys fan, Im not too sure on the red, GO COWBOYS!!!!! CRUSH THE NINERS!!!!!!)

darkweji
7 June 2002, 10:15 AM
As always Tim, damn fine work. I like how the new look is evolving along and I have to say I am very impressed with it thus far. Perhaps it's time for another DLOS redesign.. =)