PDA

View Full Version : Gamemasters... it is your destiny!

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 03:22 AM
I posted this on a mailing list I'm on, but I figured that it's a cool concept and there don't seem to be TOO many similar faces on both, so some people might get some ideas out of this:

It seems to me tat Lucas has certain things he does all the time. One of them is make things that seem trivial mean a lot. He interconnects things over and over and over to make sure that every single event is tied together. So Naboo, while it seems like just another planet, is actually of some importance to Lucas. 3P0 and R2D2 are, as we see in all the movies -- old and new a like -- of galactic importance at times. But their being anywhere at any given time is pure coincidence.

I think one of the big things Lucas has taken, and expanded upon, is the concept of destiny. Those droids are just destined to be with certain people and be placed in certain situations, even when it seems like they should have been blown into shrapnel.

Anyhow, this brings me to my gaming-related point. Does anyone here do the same thing in their GAMES? It seems like it's not hard to do, and, upon thinking about it, I've done it before without even realizing it. Are there characters and places that are of recurring importance throughout your story? people whose paths cross for no good reason...but together they always do something good?

It's a concept that applies terribly well to movies...and very well to RPGs too. So, what do you say? How do you use the same concept in games? Do you like doing it? Do you find yourself doing it accidentally like me?

reliant
24 May 2002, 04:40 AM
I can definately see what you are saying... I had my PC's visit a bunch of movie places (hoth, tatooine, naboo). I guess I did it just for the nostalgia value of visiting a place from the movies. Of course, my my campaign the death star destroyed Naboo (as the PC's just barely escaped). As for always returning to the same places, that really doesn't happen in my game. My PC's work like special forces for the rebellion, and just meet wherever the rebs tell them to...

As for NPC droids and stuff, yeah I guess I do keep them alive when they should have been blown to scrap... Just like the movies, droids and ships play a big role in my game so I guess I do tend to keep them alive when they should be long gone...

So I guess I do the same thing you talked about (though I never realized it before now). I think it's just part of the star wars universe though because all the movies and books do the same thing...

Lord Diggori
24 May 2002, 08:59 AM
I cant say that I incorporate destiny a whole lot. If anything I do the opposite by encouraging player freedom of choice. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, Evan.

I do interconnect things alot, or try to. A sense of continuity makes for a realistic narrative feel.

As for the few NPC droids we've had the players usually treat them appliances. :(

evan hansen
24 May 2002, 09:42 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't imply that destiny has much to do with the PCs, since they're not part of a script.

I mean more from a what you, as a GM, do with NPCs, places, and the storyline. Are there recurring items that happen, like Naboo is of recurring importance in the new trilogy of movies. R2-D2 seems to be a recurring, random live-saver in every movie. Things like that.

I hope that clarifies a bit!

Lord Diggori
24 May 2002, 11:51 AM
I see now. Thanx for clarifying.

Aside from the main villain or group that the PC group is after or pursued by I'd say little else recurs. Specifically one high power villain working from a distance through several more obvious groups (sound familiar? ;) ) may recur through several entire campaigns until the PC's are high enough level to catch him.

Themes may recur through out a campaign. The young padawan trying to live up to the expectations of their master. The soldier trying to form bonds with his allies though he's lost many friends in the past.

Settings do not for me. Part of the fun is seeing new places.

darkvet
24 May 2002, 04:15 PM
As a Star Wars Gm for over 6 years now I do use a lot of Destiny in my adventures.
With our first adventure in this campaign I designed some background scripts to get all the characters together, and most of involved being in the right place at the wrong time(or vice versa) just like the way the main characters met in ANH.
I also like to tie stories together, even if I didn't plan it at first I quite often use places, people or things from past adventures into new ones. My players seem to get a kick out of it and to me that's what gaming is all about.
I have even tied events from previous campaigns using totally different characters into some of my current adventures, and I am considering using some of my players old characters as NPCs just to add a little fun to the situation. It's good to keep them guessing ;)

Reverend Strone
24 May 2002, 06:46 PM
Destiny plays a huge role in my games. My player characters are heroes after all. They all started out as no-bodies, but there is a sense of them being driven to a greater destiny over the course of the campaign. They're aware that their characters are destined for something greater, but aren't always entirely sure where they're going to end up.

I absolutely use destiny in my games. Some of the NPCs even remark upon it occassionally, where appropriate. I guess the trick is allowing destiny to be a game thread, but not a game mechanic- whereby it drives occurances at predictable levels. I think it's an important element in a campaign that helps create the epicstorytelling feeling that Lucas so sucessfully injects into SW. It sets an adventure apart from being simply an exciting story about a bunch of guys, elevating it to a heroic mythology.

It's there in my games, and from time to time i let my players feel it, but most of the time it is a plot element that quietly rides in the background. Some of my players have remarked on seeing the destiny I weave into my games only when they sit back and think back on the previous game sessions, beginning to see them as a whole. It's rewarding as a GM to have layers in my campaign that aren't always obvious, but are there to be appreciated by perceptive players. It makes them feel smarter as players for noticing them too.