PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a romantic intrest

J'Raef
24 May 2002, 11:45 PM
I am about to start my very first campaign in the star wars universe. I have DM in D&D for about 2 years now and i have honed my skills as an okay DM. My main goal is to throw a romantic intrest at my only current PC who happens to be a Jedi! I wanna try and deteter his course as a Jedi and see how well he can hold up against the non jedi draws.
My Problem is i cannot create a good female npc who could be used as a love intrest, and worse yet i have no idea how to handle this sort of thing. Could you help me out please!:?

GreatHornedDragon
25 May 2002, 12:37 AM
I think there was a thread with some information on this a while back... try doing a search for "romance" or "relationship" and see what you come up with.

I think some skills were involved as well as some stat bonuses (Cha) to see whether the person responds to the romantic opportunities and the "pick ups", as it were. I think in this case it would involve you role playing the character extremely well in order to convey how she is to the character.

A few interesting ideas that I can think of:

- A young female force user who is delving in to the Dark Side. The PC knows this and tries to help her out of it, be she is a bit weak-minded and needs his emotional support to do it. They need to get close, so it opens some natural doors for a relationship.
- An information broker who relies on good looks and sleeping with people in high positions to get valuable information. She then sells it for a high profit. She could be a seductress who the PC finds irresistable.
- The daughter of a merchant/trader/royal who is highly mistreated. She is made to feel incredibly small and worthless and is very innocent. The PC will hopefully react to her innocence and feel for her, planting the seed for a romance (hopefully).

Just some ideas, hope they can be of use.

Dwight.

BrianDavion
25 May 2002, 05:51 AM
love intrests only really work if a PC is intrested. if he's not the type of PC who likes to "see his char get laid" well don't bother trying because short of having a female sith use alter mind to get him in bed (not nesscarily a bad idea:) it just ain't going to happen

Jedi_Staailis
25 May 2002, 06:27 AM
[L]ove intrests only really work if a PC is intrested.

This is true to an extent. Some players will absolutely reject having their character become involved in a relationship, others are looking for it. But most players will fall in the middle. If your player tends to be willing to "go with" what the GM is trying to do, it'll be easy to get a relationship going. Just roll a few dice, have him make a will save or two (all thoroughly fudged, if necessary) and tell the player that his character finds said NPC very attractive.

After this point, you have a very tough bit of roleplaying ahead of you. You have to somehow display the NPCs attraction to the PC, without making the player get suspicious.

BrianDavion
25 May 2002, 07:17 AM
n othing wrong with going with something a bit blatently obvious. especially those players who have a CHA higher then 10 :)

J'Raef
25 May 2002, 02:17 PM
thanx guys for the ideas. But my real problem now would be to role play a female. Thats somthing i don't think i a very good at.

StClair
25 May 2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by J'Raef
thanx guys for the ideas. But my real problem now would be to role play a female. Thats somthing i don't think i a very good at.

One thing that can help you (and the player) get over your self-consciousness is to play it out in text - passing a notepad back and forth, instant messages, whatever works for you. That way you don't have to look them in the eye and neither of you gets snickered at by the other players.

Aaron Allston (X-WING writer and long-time Champions GM) calls this "blue-booking," because his group usually used those little college exam booklets with blue covers. It's good for lots of things that are uncomfortable to play out in "public", or solo activities like shopping which would take up a lot of time and bore the rest of the group.

Bombaatu
25 May 2002, 10:47 PM
Aaron Allston (X-WING writer and long-time Champions GM) calls this "blue-booking,"
Ah, someone else familiar with
Strike Force... :D

Seriously, tho, it is a good technique - if not in paper-and-pad (which can be a little tedious in a session) then in an on-line, one-on-one game, over ICQ or AIM. I play a female character in another (non-SW) game and a love-interest developed with an NPC. Playing that out over AIM really helped alleviate some of the self-consciousness about it, to the point of being able to get into character and play it "live and in person". Writing it out helps you immensly if you would be embarrassed to RP it in person.

Bubbalin
26 May 2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by J'Raef

If you mean thinking like a female, which would be what I would personally find the most difficult, I found it helped to write a short story from a female's perspective on an issue that is difficult...
Anyway, it gives you some ideas... Either that, or log onto a chatline as a girl. :)
But yeah... I don't know, women just think different, and I don't get it. Probably never will, but yeah, working on it.
That was not to cast aspersions by the way, and I do have a girlfriend. (Disclaimers, you gotta have them.)