PDA

View Full Version : State of the Network - May 2002

Armage Bedar
25 May 2002, 05:16 AM
Before I begin, I would like to extend a welcome to all of the new members to the HoloNet within the past few months. Thanks to you our community has grown by leaps and bounds, making this a central place for GMs, roleplayers, and Star Wars fans to discuss the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. I’m proud of what we’ve been able to do. Almost every day I see messages from visitors, saying how they love the conversions work; how the HoloNet beats out even the Wizards boards at times; or how they like reading the new Net.Guides we published periodically. It makes the time, money, and effort spent on bringing SWRPGNetwork to you worth it.

However, there is always more to be done.

Responding to the demands of the readership, we moved to a new server—one with more resources that we hoped would be able to deal with the demand being placed on it. It was a good decision, and still is. The only problem, though, is that we anticipated a load analogous to the one we were receiving in March, not what we’re receiving now. Had we known better (and had a bit more money to spare) we would have sprung for a much larger server. All I can is, “Oops.” ;)

If you are reading this, chances are that you have encountered a server glitch, seen a “server busy” message, or just have been unable to access the site at peak times. We’ve seen load averages ten times what we normally received before May. Hit counts have tripled this month when compared to a similar period last month. Our popularity has been our undoing.

So, what are we doing to fix it? At the moment, not a whole lot. Making the site (especially the HoloNet) run better is a top priority, but it will require a lot of time. We’re not immune to the server problems, either—I personally have encountered it quite frequently. Upgrading to a new server would be a quick fix, I believe—one that would only be effective if used along with other solutions. In short, though, we’re working on optimizing the site and bringing down the load.

Even with the server problems, we’ve had a lot of success. We’ve brought on new artists, published new content, and tried to stay abreast of SW-RPG news. On the HoloNet, the SWAG (Star Wars Artists’ Guild) has started to provide art services for Star Wars roleplayers. Starwars-rpg.net, the original SW-RPG community site, is being redesigned and brought back to life, which is exciting for all of us in the community.

Things are going well. SWRPGNetwork is growing exponentially, and we’re trying to keep up. We’re excited about the discussion and content being generated, and we’re thankful for all of the support you’ve shown us since October 1999. The State of the Network has never been stronger.

Reverend Strone
26 May 2002, 03:57 AM
...And if I may be so bold as to suggest I speak for us all in saying- we appreciate your efforts! This place is great, and the traffic is proof enough of that. From all of us users and holonetters- thanks Armage, Moridin, and all the team. The SWRPG really wouldn't be the same without you guys, and I'm totally serious about that. That's why we keep coming back.

farr0095
26 May 2002, 05:47 AM
I just want to second the Reverand Stone's thanks. While I'll admit that it can be a bit obnoxious at first when I get a "Server busy" message, it is little inconvience compared to the terrific product you folks provide. This site is well-maintained and I believe really helps support all of the gamers out there. Thank you so much and keep up the great work!

Rouge8
26 May 2002, 08:05 AM
Armage Moridon and everyone else do such a great job that i am in awe.

By the way. Where is Rigil Kent? Isent in 3 submissions this month and one last month and have'nt been notified.

jedibrass
27 May 2002, 07:20 AM
Well, its nearly been two years since I joined an interesting little discussion board called The Star Wars-RPG Holonet. We had under 1000 members, and now look at what that little board group turned into. Armage, you've done a spectacular job, especially considering that you've got school and whatnot to do take up your time as well. And we all know how precious and rare a comodity time is. I, along with all of those of the OotS and the famous/infamous (which one depends on if you're sane or not :p) NNTBS, wish to thank you for all the hard work and time you've put in to allow us to have the Holonet to RP on. I look forward to many more years of continued success. Great job, Armage, keep up the good work!

Cheers,
~Jedi Brass (Sir Brass of the Pen)

Craig Feely
7 June 2002, 12:08 PM
First off, I of course would like to say how thankful I am for all of the staff here. Your invaluabel contributions to the SWRPG community online and otherwise, will long be remembered by all. I hope that you all may continue to further your legend!

Now, to keep this on topic...I'm not entirely familiar with running a server b/c I'm too cheap to actually pay for the SWORPG (http://sworpg.hypermart.net) and I've always used the free servers with those wonderful pop-up ads. But my suggestion is this. Perhaps you could keep all of the active documents needed to properly view the site on the server with no pop-ups, but create a 'downloads' section with all the files people would want to save (and thus taking up bandwidth) and place them across as many of the free servers as necessary. Personally I know I wouldn't mind having to close a few pop-up ads while I'm downloading.

Maybe my technical knowledge is a little off, but I just thought I'd offer up what idea I had!

Best of luck guys!