PDA

View Full Version : Lost Story line

JediAbston
26 May 2002, 05:51 PM
Ok, I have a problem....I am currently running a d20 campaign set in the NJO timeline where all the players have some force using class. My problem is that i don;t want to over use the Yuuzhan Vong, but I also want to keep them as a constant threat. I currently have them starting an investigation into the Peace Brigade to find out there supply lines to and from the yuuzhan Vong. But it seems to me that the players are hemming and hawing about starting that investigation. Should I kinda force them into my story or let them go there own way?

proxima centauri
26 May 2002, 05:58 PM
Let them go their own way. That's part of the joy of GMing... you can't force players into something. BUT... you can try to see how you can mangle the two stories, and somehow find a way to drag them back into your plot. If you force them in your plot, they will feel this story is too linear and boring. Keep it spontaneous.

Grimace
26 May 2002, 08:36 PM
Well, if they are waffling on the investigation, you need to make sure that you give them a REASON to investigate. If the Peace Brigade hasn't done anything to them, and they aren't working for someone that can force them to investigate, then there won't be much draw for them to do so. What you need to do is provide a catalyst for them to want to investigate.

I'm not overly familiar with anything in the NJO, so I can't offer much more in the way of ideas, but the main thing to do is to peak their interest. Make them interested without seeming to force them into it.

If they actually work for someone who told them to investigate, that's different. Tell them, via an NPC who is superior to them, that they have to do their job. If not, they lose money, rank, title, whatever.

If your PCs don't work for someone who can force them, you'll have to be more crafty in order to pull them back around into your plot line. Don't force them, as Proxima mentioned....it'll make them think they're being railroaded. Bring in the "rerouting" threads of the story gradually. That way they will come to the conclusion on their own that they need to investigate the Peace Brigade in order to solve whatever problem they're experiencing. It'll seem like their idea, not yours.

Hope this helps some.

proxima centauri
27 May 2002, 11:48 AM
It happened to my GM the other day. He had prepared game material for a session and hinted us to go to a remote island (this is D&D) where the ultimate bad guy lives. Of course, the guy who gives us the hint is a nobody, and we choose not to trust him. We even decide that we've had enough of being jerked around by this guy, so we decide that we're going to attack his minions at some other place. Needless to say, the GM was stuck. We ended the game earlier that night and he had to prepare new stuff for the next session. It became obvious to the players that we had inadvertantly make his plot fail. After doing our deed at the other place and kicking some minion ass... and being kicked in return, he found a more obvious way, (read BLUNT) to make us go to the darn island.

Sometimes the problem can be resolved out of game... I mean it's only a game, right?

Lord Diggori
28 May 2002, 10:31 AM
Let's see...

I defintely understand not wanting to overuse the Vong, Abston. Yet you want the players to show interest in the Peace Brigade. An NPC superior is a way to go, true. Personally those types of motivators sound like GM commandments though, whether you want them too or not.

I agree strongly with Proxima on the main point that players should choose their own route, yet nothing's wrong with passively encouraging them in game.

Since they're Force users have them receive visions and dreams that show the path you plan for them. This may seem like railroading but it's the context that sets this as different. Have NPCs encourage them to take another course, perhaps the one the PC's are leaning towards of their own accord, as opposed to your Peace Brigade thread. This makes their options feel optional.

For example: Everyone's suggesting or asking them to help with the relocation and protection of refugees but they still feel strongly that the Peace Brigade is being overlooked. They have two equal choices, but you know as GM only one is "right".

If they decide to go against the grain of public opinion (as many heroes do) they'll start investigating the PB like you want.

If they dont investigate run a half session with them pursuing this other choice. In mid-session, or whenever you'd like to drop the plot twist, they learn that the Brigade has done something heinous closely related to what they're doing. This justifies the Force visions and may make the players feel a little responsible.

JediAbston
28 May 2002, 12:46 PM
thanks for the ideas guys..this will help me out alot...course..any other ideas would also be appreciated