PDA

View Full Version : What were the best SW supplements put out by WEG?

Wasteland Knight
29 May 2002, 07:48 PM
I'm a long time gamer who is just now getting into SW gaming, using the d20 system. So why am I posting in the d6 forum you might ask? Well, from what I've seen WEG produced a LOT of d6 Star Wars supplements. And now that I've bought just about every d20 supplement available, I'm planning on expanding my RPG library by picking up some of WEG's d6 supplements.

I was hoping some of you veteran d6 players could list are your favorite or what you think were the best supplements WEG put out. Hopefully this will give me a place to start collecting :)

Martin
30 May 2002, 02:12 PM
Although, I don't have d20 Star Wars, from what I have seen of the books for that game, it looks like WOTC is doing something right. Aliens of the Galaxy, Starships of the Galaxy, Dark Jedi... seems like they are putting out one book for each subject that a gamer would be interested in.

A sharp contrast to what I find with WEG's supplements. I have a hard time decding what books I want as well. (Hmm... I want all the Force powers listed and described in one book. Tales of the Jedi does that, but gives me loads of stuff about some comic series I don't want. Oh well. And it actually doesn't have *all* the force powers.)

But the supplements I have sought out and think are good are:

Rebel Sourcebook
Imperial Sourcebook
Tales of the Jedi (I don't have it yet, but have read someone else's copy.)

That's it.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
30 May 2002, 02:33 PM
I have always enjoyed the following-

Pirates and Privateers : lots o starships

Gundarks Fantastic Technology: lots o weapons

Galladinum's Fantastic Technology: lots of quirky and interesting pieces of technology

Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook: most all of the force powers in one place

Alien Encounters + Galaxy Guide 4 + Galaxy Guide 13(?) : a buttload of aliens

That's the main ones I can think of right now.

farr0095
30 May 2002, 02:49 PM
If you can find it, and mostly if you run Special Operations Campaigns, CRFG (see subject) is a great supplement. It's hard to find because so few people want to sell it.

I also really enjoyed the Far Orbit supplement.

Wretched Hives of Scum and Villany is good for creating seedy spaceports.

I personally loved the Adventure Journals, for the stories, RPG stats, etc. They were kind of the predecessor to the Gamer.

Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim is very intriguing, and another popular favorite. You get some insight to ways to do Force trials of skills - easily converted to d20, in fact, not really stat specific. You get some interesting characters and other tidbits.

I also find myself flipping through various advenutres, to get ideas for my own campaign. But there are certainly a lot of adventures put out.

Hope this helps.

Sabre
30 May 2002, 03:43 PM
For supplements I could get by with only Pirates and Privateers and Rules of Engagement (the Specforce manual).

Tales of the Jedi Companion was nice before I switched to a Force system that didn't use powers.

The Darkstryder campaign made a great adventure setting. It's a lot of fun with the right GM.

evan hansen
30 May 2002, 04:58 PM
I swear, I keep crashing the holonet. Everyime I try to reply to this thread, I get told that holonet.swrpgnetwork.com doesn't exist. Let's hope it's just bad luck. ;-)

anyhow, this is far less comprehensive that my earlier iterations of this reply, but hopefully this will help anyhow:

1 - Tales of the Jedi Companion: Excellent writing and superb illustrations. Great ideas. And it reads like a story book. It's very well thought out and, despite the fact that some of the material is a bit out of date now, it's awesome. Simply awesome.

2 - Thrawn Trilogy SB: Softcover, so it's cheap. Combines three SBs into one big one that covers all the original Zahn books. Really impressive stuff. Loaded with tons of stats, stories, ideas, characters, capsules, places, etc...

3 - Imperial SB: More important than the Rebel SB, I think. Lots of good, detailed ideas for playing Imperial stuff and running Imperial games. I'd obviously put the rulebook ahead of it (and the others) in terms of importance for playing but only if you're playing D6 of course.

4 - GG: Fragments From the Rim: Some great ideas for campaigns involving sketchy outer rim types, stats for Tremayne, some good ships, characters, etc... Just hits a lot of interesting things. Don't recall the number, but the cover is bright orange.

5 - Alien Encounters: The definitive alien book! this thing had tons of write ups of aliens, beasts, races, etc... You name it, and it was in here. Good writing and great guideline ideas.

6 - Rules of Engagement: If you're going to play combat-heavy or military-heavy missions, this is a good one. Gives outlines of all the storm trooper outfits, rules for martial arts if you want them, weapons, etc... down to hand signals for strike forces.

those would be my top 6 I believe. Sorry for the lack of detail in my explinations. I just couldn't type it all out for a THIRD time.

farr0095
30 May 2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by evan hansen
I6 - Rules of Engagement: If you're going to play combat-heavy or military-heavy missions, this is a good one. Gives outlines of all the storm trooper outfits, rules for martial arts if you want them, weapons, etc... down to hand signals for strike forces.

Aaahhhhh! How could I forget RoE? Aaahhhhh!

:?

Thank you for reminding me of that one. Yes, Wasteland, that's a very good choice for a book... but again, very difficult to find.

The Admiral
30 May 2002, 05:29 PM
Can't believe no-one's mentioned the Planet's Collection.

Almost fifty worlds full of flavour, Celanon, the 'nearly Corellia' world, such delights as the stinky Ergesh and the fabulous Ee. Throw a planet creation system AND a full campaign to boot, how can you go wrong?

Plus it's big enough to make a handy impromptu player-basher.

Lokar
30 May 2002, 05:39 PM
Rules of Engagment, Imperial Sourcebook, Galaxy Guide 9: Scouts, and Pirate & Privateers.

Jericho_Narcas
31 May 2002, 03:40 AM
Before I got the 2nd ed. R&E rules Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters was practically invaluable. You can do without it if you have the R&E rules, but it's still got a lot of useful and interesting information.

daedalron
26 June 2002, 04:05 AM
Definetely

Tales of the Jedi Companion
GG: Tramp Freighters
GG: Fragments of the Rim

ShinDangaioh
26 June 2002, 02:04 PM
GG:Fragments fom the Rim
GG:Tramp Freighters
Stock Ships(maps of the interors of over 20 tramp freighters)
Tales of the Jedi Companion
Thrwan Trilogy Sourcebook
Platt's Starport Guide
Planets of the Galaxy I, II, & III
Star Trek RPG:Revised and Expanded

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
26 June 2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ShinDangaioh
Star Trek RPG:Revised and Expanded

I didn't know that WEG did a version of that game.

As for my list

Rules of Engagement
Tales of the Jedi Comp.
Pirates and Privateers
Cracken's Treat Dossier
Most if not all of the 2nd Edition Galaxy Guides

Deck
27 June 2002, 12:58 PM
Well, there are really many WEG books, thus I like many of them... :)

- Pirates & Privateers
- GGs 6, 8 & 9
- Planet's Collection
- SpecForce Handbook
- pretty all Hardcover books are good IMHO
- all Adventure Journals... :)

Danger
29 June 2002, 06:38 PM
Just save yourself some trouble, and buy all the WEG stuff you can get your hands on. It doesn't hurt to have too much information as opposed to too little, right?

If you'd like to limit your purchases somewhat, then shoot for Pirates and Privateers , the Imperial Sourcebook, and then...everything else. Honestly, what you buy depends upon what and who you are designing/GMing for.

Having said that, you really can't go wrong with the GM's Screen; its got cool things from multiple soucebooks (i.e. Platt's Starport Guideet al) and all those tables you wind up needing during a game, plus, its generally not as costly as the larger volumes.

Game like the wind, me amigo!

Lord Byss
1 July 2002, 05:12 AM
Depending on your gamaing era of course, the Rebel and Imperial sourcebooks are invaluable...

Tony J Case, Super Genius
1 July 2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Wasteland Knight
I was hoping some of you veteran d6 players could list are your favorite or what you think were the best supplements WEG put out. Hopefully this will give me a place to start collecting :)

It really depends on what you are looking for in your game. My personal fave is probably the Tramp Freighters book - but only because it saved my game (it came out at the right time, as the old game was slowly sufficating to death from the stagnation. In short, it was the paradigm shift that I needed to keep things fresh ).

The Tales of the Jedi sourcebook is a helluva snapshot of a vastly under-used era. It's a pity that LFL barred WEG from further exploring the setting.

Fragments from the Rim is pretty sweet, mostly because it's a whole bunch of cool ideas that really had no business being in other expansions. Not enough to carry their own book, it provided a look at stuff that doesnt get a lot of exposure in the SW universe.

The Zhan Trillogy book is perfect not for just a Coming of Thrawn story arc - but for fleshing out the New Republic period. Lots of this and that that makes up a good starting point for that era of play.

There's probably a whole bunch more, but that's the top handful.

Darklighter
5 July 2002, 09:41 PM
OK, keeping in mind that my collection is incomplete, and that I have a preference for 'Classic' settings for my adventures (just before A New Hope to the battle at Endor) using rebel and/or smuggler types, my top five would be: Pirates and Privateers, GG 6: Tramp Feighters, GG 9: Fragments from the Rim, The Black Sands of Socorro, and GG 7: Mos Eisley.

While the Rebel and Imperial sourcebooks are very useful too, they just aren't, well, as entertaining as these others are. GG4: Alien Species is also a good source, but low on entertainment value. WEG missed the boat here by not giving one or a few worlds with each alen specie. It would have been nice, and very useful in a few cases!

If you're going to run bounty hunters, I highly reccomend GG 10: Bounty Hunters. GG9 is good for that too.

One book I don't have is the Galaxy Guide for Criminal Organizations, one that I imagine would be very useful for the style of play I tend to like. Maybe someone could comment on its usefulness? (And if anyone wants to unload a copy, I'd be interested. ;) )

Well, I hope someone found this useful. :)

Pel
6 July 2002, 10:33 AM
The excessively useful books (ToJC, RoE, etc.) were covered in glorious detail, but I've always liked a couple of others:

The Death Star Technical Companion gave us our first detailed look at many of the standard Imperial structures like Detention Blocks, and Bridges. Quite handy for jail-breaks and ship-jacking the occasional ISD.

Hideouts and Strongholds was wonderful for a couple of fringe campaigns. Those planetary defense weapons are particularly nasty when mounted on a bulk freighter (ha ha he he he :D )

stoic_75
9 July 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Wasteland Knight
I'm a long time gamer who is just now getting into SW gaming, using the d20 system. So why am I posting in the d6 forum you might ask? Well, from what I've seen WEG produced a LOT of d6 Star Wars supplements. And now that I've bought just about every d20 supplement available, I'm planning on expanding my RPG library by picking up some of WEG's d6 supplements.

Personally, I liked the Politics of contraband and Twin Stars of Kira. Fragments from the RIm was neat in its day. Itwas to the old Star Wars what Unearthed Arcana was to the old AD&D game.

Korpil
13 January 2003, 10:27 AM
Bringing this conversation back from the dead:

For those old days of d6 gaming my most useful book was GG09: Fragments from the Rim, also Tales of the Jedi Companion, and although they are great I didn't put much use on Imperial or Rebel sourcebooks.

Other books that suffered a lot of tear & wear are the Aliens GG (can't remember number), Tramp Freighters and Scouts guide... those took the worst part :D

Moridin
13 January 2003, 07:44 PM
Guys, you aren't going to believe this.

I found Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook at a local gaming store...for $8.00! I couldn't believe it! I bought my first copy off eBay for like $40! I'm giving it to my little brother, who bogarts mine every time he comes to visit.

RoE is definitely the best D6 supplement. I also make heavy use of Pirates and Privateers, Tales of the Jedi Companion, and Alien Encounters. I've got many others that are indispensible, and some that are just fair, but those are my most used.

Paul Klein
13 January 2003, 09:11 PM
Why is the Rebel SpecForce book so rare? I understand its a great book, and highly sought after, but still, there's one on eBay right now going for $39.99.

Was there a low print run on it?

I'm just glad I got mine when I did (when WEG went out of business, they had a fire sale. Bought over 30 books for $175 :) )

Korpil
14 January 2003, 04:30 AM
Haha, I did the same! Half of my 50+ books came from that final sale!

TheExecutor
23 January 2003, 10:49 AM
Tales of the Jedi Sourcebook
Dark Empire
Han Solo in CSA
The galaxy guids 1-12

Hargon
25 January 2003, 08:44 PM
I found that my two fav books are the Rules of Engagement and Pirates and Privateers (coincidentally I have an extra copy of each and will be listing them on eBay very soon).
I am suprised noone has mentioned all of the Cracken Books. I found "Wanted by Cracken" and "Cracken's Rebel Operatives" to be a wonderful mix of different characters, whom I used extensively. I even found the grossly underated "Cracken's Threat Dossier" to be very helpful because it combined so many novels' stats, that had never been published before, into one large book. Dont get me started on the horrible drawings in that book though.
Some others I really liked...
Tales of the Jedi - a MUST if you are running a campaign centered on a Jedi character... doesnt matter what era you are playing in.
Criminial Orginizations + Bounty Hunters + Fragments from the rim = 1 bad ass underworld campaign that can last for a long time!
Imp Sourcebook and Rebel Sourcebook - While they are somewhat lacking.. they are a great source of stats for Soliders, Vechicles, and Ships.
Hideouts and Strongholds - A great book! Loads of bases and a lot of fun if your characters ever plan on settling down somewhere and building their own base.
Wretched Hives - Great locals and great characters... It has a gladiator arena and even a darkside life-sucking mass of energy.
The Adventure Journals - Wonderful stories! Man I wish they had made more of these!

Some books I didnt like....
No Dinsintegrations - BORING! Its an Adventure book, basically a few simple plots, thats it!
Fantastic Technology books - One is full of useless junk (a tread-mill?!?!?) and the other is a re-hash of previously printed weaponry... NOTHING new!
Shadows Of The Empire - A very thin hardback book... and for a reason.
Heros and Rouges - A bunch of templates... thats great if your just starting a new game, but rather useless if you have a long-running campain. And even if you do use it, you might use what? 3 of the 50 character outlines in the book? And that will take up a full 20 minutes of your game time while you are making characters and then its back to the shelf with this book.
Platt's Smuggler's Guide - Nothing new in this book, everything said in here has already been said before in other supplements.
Star Wars Live-Action - Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever actually do this?

Ok thats the end of my rant. thanx for the read :)

Corsec025
17 February 2003, 05:35 PM
I can not believe it! All of you have mentioned the same things over and over, and yet you forget to mention CRACKEN'S REBEL OPERATIVES. This supplement is filled with NPC's valuable to a Rebel SpecOps campaign. I also liked the Classic Campaigns supplement.

Hargon
17 February 2003, 07:00 PM
Ummm I think I did mention Cracken's Rebel Operatives.

I found "Wanted by Cracken" and "Cracken's Rebel Operatives" to be a wonderful mix of different characters, whom I used extensively. :D

hisham
17 February 2003, 07:21 PM
GG9 Fragments From the Rim

It really fleshes out not just the military aspect of the SW universe in the Rebellion Era, but it mentions news organizations, trade guilds, bounty hunting red tape, even beverages and music!

And the writing is really funny in some parts.

Many a time I spiced up the background elements of my campaign with stuff from this book.

Jess
17 February 2003, 10:25 PM
I would have to say one of my FAVORITE books...not to mention my gamers LOVE it too...is the "Black Sands of Soccorro"

And next in line would be the "Spec forces "

Xynar
24 February 2003, 03:44 PM
Craken's Rebel Field Guide.

I've used this book since the first day I bought it. Even though it's first edition, it has a crap load of interesting info.

Xynar
The Great Adventurer

Dallas
30 April 2004, 08:25 PM
i agree with deck there were alot