PDA

View Full Version : How Long is Too Long?

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
30 May 2002, 02:20 PM
Anyone have feelings on this subject?

farr0095
30 May 2002, 02:52 PM
This is touchy. However, since it was released world-wide on the same day, I don't think you'd have to wait as long as you might for other movies. Still, I think that giving people time to go out and see it, while they try to miss the initial rush (which, personally, I think is over) is also a nice gesture.

Then again, I tend not to start topics about the movies. ::shrugs::

Jedi_Staailis
30 May 2002, 03:32 PM
I have empathy for those who wish to still enjoy Star Wars without having the movie spoiled. After all, I was one of those people during the three year wait for Episode II. However, I also saw the movie on opening night. On the boards here, I would expect that most of us saw the movie shortly after its release (it's the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, after all). I personally think a week or two is sufficient. I think it's about time to start dropping the spoiler warnings for Episode II.

Bond-O Calrissian
30 May 2002, 08:33 PM
Eh, spoil away. I'm waiting for the movie to hit the $2.00 shows anyway. The local monopoly treats its workers like utter crap (I know this from first-hand experience) so I figure that unless I really feel like driving 100 or more miles away to see this movie in a theater and avoid the local company, the best I can do is delay until it hits the discount shows. I waited until two Sundays ago to see the first Lord of the Rings movie, so I do have the necessary patience. If it isn't a movie like FOTR or a Star Wars movie, I can easily wait until it goes to video. Besides, spoilers don't do anything for me except clue me in to things to watch for anyway.

So-Var Leet
30 May 2002, 09:35 PM
I think a month is just about right. That way you can be more of less sure that everyone here has gone and seen it.

Grimace
30 May 2002, 10:03 PM
Hey, you're missing the option of: When the Administrators/Moderators say it's okay.

We're discussing this very thing, so when we come to a decision, I'll be sure to let you all know. The other moderators will vocalize the decision as well, so no one should be left in the dark on this matter.

VixenofVenus
30 May 2002, 10:16 PM
Personally, I voted one week ... but ... I say one month after it has finally been released everywhere ... and while it was released in MANY countries on May 16 ... it was not a complete worldwide release. There are a few countries that it did not get released in (and there are a few that it is BANNED in).

So ... I want to change my vote from 1 week to 1-3 months. Somewhere in that time frame would be good ... until then, I think I can handle typing a 7 letter word every once in a while

REG
31 May 2002, 01:09 AM
At least a month or until the movie is officially open worldwide, not just the US, whichever date is later.

I assume this forum is not limited to US and Canadian readers and posters, correct? We should be courteous to our international neighbors.

Grimace
31 May 2002, 07:29 AM
We just got an "official" date set for when you all can stop including SPOILERS as a warning. 1st of July.

Until that time, please continue to post spoiler warnings for the benefit of those from other countries that haven't been able to view movie. We have members here from all over the world...Britain, Australia, Far East, Europe, Canada...even a couple people in South America (I believe). In order to give all those people the benefit of being able to view the movie without having key points spoiled, let's keep warning others until the 1st of July.

Thank you.

VixenofVenus
31 May 2002, 07:38 AM
Cool ... thx Grimace

Reverend Strone
31 May 2002, 01:22 PM
I waited until two Sundays ago to see the first Lord of the Rings movie, so I do have the necessary patience.

Bond that's exceptional. You must have like a +12 to will saves or something.:D

Bond-O Calrissian
2 June 2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone

Bond that's exceptional. You must have like a +12 to will saves or something.:D

It's not that, I just have a low tolerance of the (MUCH stronger word than cruddy goes here) way that the local theater monopoly treats their workers. Lots of false hiring practices like hiring people under the auspices of permanent employees, then firing them after the big Christmas season. Not, mind you, laying them off or telling them outright that they're only going to be around until after Christmas, but FIRING them, and then sending out do-not-hire letters in case someone puts them down as a reference. It's happened to more than a few of my classmates when I was in high school, and is still happening to my classmates who worked with them while I was attending college. Then the owners wonder why people have dropped tear gas canisters in the theaters before to disrupt shows. I just vote with my wallet and either avoid movies entirely or wait until they come out on video. I'll probably drive to Chicago to see AOTC. Yes, I'm willing to save up my money for gas and travel hours to see a movie. If not, I'll do the same thing I did with TPM and borrow the movie from a friend who bought it.