PDA

View Full Version : Holocrons

Fiha Sublud
31 May 2002, 03:14 PM
Have any of you used a holocron in your game? If so, how did you determine it's means and level of access. There's the writeup for the Great Holocron, but the rules for it aren't necessarily aplicable to other "normal" holocrons. I've figured that I'll come up with my oun table, based on Empathy checks, but I'd be interested to hear any creative ideas.

evan hansen
1 June 2002, 07:12 AM
We used a holocron in a game we did a few years back. It was pretty sweet, actually. Before there was a lot of new info and ideas about holocrons, we just kind of fudged it. But basically, it was a completely interactive thing. Anyone with the Force could access it initially. But only a rally fine-tuned mind could get to the goodies in inside. We did some sort of very mystical approach whereby the holocron had a force presence still there that could feel if the user was A - strong in the Force and B - exceptionally good-hearted. If both those conditions were met, you could go further in.

We even gave it dice levels for that part, so, in theory, a super-powerful dark lord could have "tricked" it. It never came to that. But it worked.

I don't know if that answers your question or not. If you're looking for more detail, please let me know!

darkvet
1 June 2002, 08:53 AM
I am running a campaign right now where my characters have found a Holocron, but I am using it solely as a plot device, and an excuse for my Rebellion Era Jedi player to advance his skills.
I don't worry about roles or stats for the Holocron it just sits in the Jedi's pocket until they get completely stumped and are losing patience with the adventure. Then he can consult it and it may provide insight. Since he is a relatively low level Jedi I don't let him get very much information. I also consider it a "teacher" so the Jedi can improve his skills at a reasonable rate.

Jake Sunspot
3 June 2002, 09:28 PM
I too have a Jedi character in my Rebellion Era campaign with his own holocron. I used it initially as a plot device and a way to pit my "good" PCs against the "evil" ones. My NPC Jedi Master is still around, but he will probably die soon (at the hands of somebody evil) and at that point they will have to use it to train themselves.

Lord Diggori
4 June 2002, 07:42 AM
I've used holocrons twice before in my games.

I treat them like NPC's for the most part. They have Int, Wis, and Cha scores and accompanying skills that reflect their specializations.

I also allow them to teach things to my PC's up to as many ranks as the holocron has, which is usually alot since masters are most often the subjects.

One thing I do, for play balance sake, is to make the Jedi one's extremely fragile (hardness 1, 5 WP). This makes their owners very wary about carting them around anywhere like a datapad.

The Sith one's are however very tough and require special rituals to destroy them. This helps explain why they keep turning up after thousands of years.

The Admiral
6 June 2002, 08:25 AM
The current game I'm running is the first time I've ever had a Holocron. Gojo the Hutt's Major Domo Hellim Garn uses it as a paperweight. I'm rather curious if any of the players will actually notice it.

Jake Sunspot
6 June 2002, 11:27 AM
Wow, Admiral thats a really cool idea. I hope your players do figure it out. That would make for a great plot hook.

allstar6767
6 June 2002, 10:42 PM
I just recently modified my campaign to fit the Redeemer holocron, I was goin to have my pcs find a holocron anyway(because the Jedi PC's Master fell to the darker ways), and it is working great, I have mine work as a teacher, but the jedi can only learn from it if he has down centered his emotions and is semi-sentient...

Craig Feely
12 June 2002, 04:09 PM
Hey! I found this on my computer and thought it might help! It's a Guide to Constructing Holocrons. I didn't write it and for the life of me cannot remember who did. So if this is yours please take credit for it!!! B)

Anyways, it's in D6 format but could easily be converted to D20, I suspect. Hope this helps!!

(The only changes I made to it were formating and spelling changes. Plus I added some pics to spice it up a little. ~grin~)

Rouge8
12 June 2002, 04:29 PM
Does someone have it in D20 yet?

Craig Feely
12 June 2002, 07:38 PM
No, not that I know of. I know next to nothing about conversions so I'm not in running for the job!