PDA

View Full Version : NJO Books?

PxR|LionHammer
2 June 2002, 03:05 PM
Ok I'm Lookng to begin reading the NJO books. I've read the Zahn Trilogy, And the Trilogy where they are building the Death Star over again in that asteroid feild. SHould I read any others before I read the NJO series? And what is the order that they goin so i know which to buy first?

Nova Spice
2 June 2002, 05:32 PM
Okay dude! Im your man! I've read EVERY Star Wars novel ever printed and I'll tell you what you've missed and what you should read before the NJO.

1. Read the X-wing series (All 9 novels) They are EXCELLENT!
2. The Hand of Thrawn Duology (MUST READ before NJO)
3. The Courtship of Princess Leia (Not a MUST, but a Good one...some of the NJO characters come from this novel and it might confuse you if you haven't read it)

Those twelve novels are INTEGRAL (Especially the Hand of Thrawn Duology and the X-wing novels...those are MUST reads...)

Just to keep you from getting mixed up, the Hand of Thrawn Duology is different from the Thrawn Trilogy....the two books are Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future. In the X-wing series there are nine books and there are way TOO many characters from these novels in the NJO for you not to read them.

Hope that helps. Once done with these proceed directly down aisle three and pick up Vector Prime :D

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
2 June 2002, 05:54 PM
Don't forget Rogue Planet.

Katowice
3 June 2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by PxR|LionHammer
Ok I'm Lookng to begin reading the NJO books. I've read the Zahn Trilogy, And the Trilogy where they are building the Death Star over again in that asteroid feild. SHould I read any others before I read the NJO series? And what is the order that they goin so i know which to buy first?

The Star Wars Essential Chronology has an overview of the EU history before NJO, so unless you want to read about three dozen books, I'd skim through it.

Nova Spice
3 June 2002, 05:55 AM
Uh, skimming through it, isn't really worth it IMO. There is nothing like reading the X-wing novels or the Hand of Thrawn Duology firsthand rather than read some guy's translation and summary of what happened.....I don't think it'd be enjoyable reading a book that summarizes other books...after reading that, it'd spoil all the other books. That's doing him an injustice....a SEVERE injustice.
But yes, I would add Rogue Planet to that list like Frobi mentioned. Read the books for yourself dude, not in some third-rate guide that spoils everything. ;)

EmprorsHand03
3 June 2002, 08:03 PM
You forgot Cloak of Deception, which gives you insights into one of the characters in NJO! And I agree with Nova Spice, the Chronology has errors and leaves some important stuff out. The Corellian trilogy, though not very good is important (it took me two years to finish reading all three books), as well as the Jedi Academy trilogy. Also, the Young Jedi Knights, and Junior Jedi Knights books, are important (get these from a library, and if you have a lot of free time, you should breeze through these in leaps and bounds, very kiddy though).

I'm sure other books will factor in later in the series also so look back and read those as you need to.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
4 June 2002, 12:22 AM
Which character are you talking about?

EmprorsHand03
4 June 2002, 07:29 AM
Vergere

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
4 June 2002, 08:34 AM
I think that you mean Rogue Planet.

EmprorsHand03
5 June 2002, 03:22 PM
Nope, she's in Cloak of Deception too, as a supporting character, whereas in Rogue Planet she's talked about, but never seen.

Jedi_Staailis
5 June 2002, 03:45 PM
I'm going to have to go with Nova Spice's original list on this one (for the most part). I don't think either Cloak of Deception or Rogue Planet are significant enough to the NJO to be necessary reads. I have to disagree with the X-Wing bit (though I haven't read the latest two NJO books by Allston yet). They are a good read, but not truly necessary. Other sets of books (like the Corellian Trilogy) are alluded to in only minor ways. I've read virtually all of the novels (with the exception of some of the Young Jedi Knights), and while a lot of the information is incorporated, only some is essential.

You just about have to read the Hand of Thrawn duology. A ton of material from those two books is included, and the characters in the series are prominent in the NJO novels. Several books also draw from The Courtship of Princess Leia, so that's probably worth reading as well.

The NJO authors have done an excellent job of tying in all of the disparate novels, so if you want the full experience, you'll basically have to read everything. ;) However, all you really need to do is read the Hand of Thrawn duology and The Courtship of Princess Leia, along with perhaps a quick glance through the chronology (if you have no intention of reading the other books).

If you'd like to skip any of the books, I'd be happy to fill you in on the pertinent information that appears in NJO. Just post on which books you aren't reading.

Aaron B'Aviv
6 June 2002, 11:34 AM
Hand of Thrawn duology is essential. Cloak of Deception, The Young Jedi Knights books, X-wing books, Crimson Empire: II and Courtship of Princess Leia introduce important characters, but you can meet those characters in the NJO if you want.

I think Rogue Planet really is a part of the NJO, as it introduces the Vong. So you really should read it.

And as I note in any thread about a person getting started in the NJO, don't give up until Star by Star. The books get good in the book right before it, and they haven't really let up in quality since then. Except for Dark Journey, which is good but not spectacular.