PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the SW Sourcebook?

Martin
5 June 2002, 01:12 PM
Should I get The Star Wars Sourcebook, 1st or 2nd edition?

I have the R&E rules, so does that rulebook contain most of what was in the Sourcebook? Anything different in the Sourcebook and the early Galaxy Guides in regards to stats and other info?

I am asking as I slowly put together some of the WEG books and I just want to get the "most vital" ones to use and not have too much duplication of material.

evan hansen
5 June 2002, 02:20 PM
IMHO, you should stick to the later galaxy guides and the rulebook you have. 1st edition was a little weak from what I've seen. 2nd edition is great, but you already have 2nd R&E, so there's no point in getting that.

If you're looking to build a big collection of books, I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, but the best *deal* might be the Thrawn book. Tons of stats and info, but it's softcover (read 'inexpensive')

Grimace
5 June 2002, 04:35 PM
Well, I'm kind of partial to the SW Sourcebook, so I'd say go ahead and get it. Yes, there is repetition between it and the Main Rulebook, but there's also some differences and some interesting things. There's a section in it that describes Imperial Garrisons, and there's also a bit on Rebel Tierfon Bases. There are good write-ups on the main characters from the first trilogy movies (which might not be useful if you don't use them, but does give you some good information on ways to judge "balance"). This book also lists all of the starfighters for both sides during the movies. X-Wings, Y-Wings (both of which are listed in the Main Book), A-Wings, B-Wings, plust a few of the Imperial fighters.

Basically, the SW Sourcebook is a stat book. It contains LOTS of stats, and good B&W pics of nearly all the things from the movie. Largely, I find myself using the SW Sourcebook more as a reference than I do the Main Book, but again, I'm kind of partial to the SW Sourcebook.

So, if it's a good price, and you think you might need some of the information/stats, I say get it. If it's atrociously priced, or you don't think you want the book since it repeats some things in the Main Book, then pass. As to which version, both are IDENTICAL in information (I have both 1st and 2nd), but you'll want 2nd as it's easiest to nudge towards the R&E rules you're using.

Hope this helps.

The Admiral
6 June 2002, 07:29 AM
Could I just mention the SW Sourcebook Special Edition? It's in full colour throughout, and features odds and ends from the special editions. I only ever saw one copy of the thing, and would dearly like to have a copy. I'd say it's more of a flavour book, one to drift through when seeking inspiration more than really useful things.

Deck
6 June 2002, 09:05 AM
The <i>Star Wars Sourcebook, 2nd Editiion</i> is definitely worth being bought. It is a very usful addition to the core rule book. If you already have the revised and expanded rules, buying 1st Edition books would not be as helpful as buying the 2nd Edition. So go for it!

I can also recommend <i>The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, Special Edition</i> which is the one already mentioned by The Admiral. In general, I think that all hardcover sourcebooks of WEG are pretty decent and worth reading. :)

Jastor
6 June 2002, 11:08 AM
1st edition is nostalgic.. but get the 2nd fore more.. "gaming excitement"